Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 09:06 AM

553 posts, read 303,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
I totally get it, I am on 3 different types of asthma inhalers just day to day, but I am lucky in that insurance covers about 70 percent of it. I know how awful it is to walk around with asthma symptoms being bad all the time.

I really think you only have two options here. The cat goes to the basement, and the son and his dad spend time down there with the cat playing video games or doing whatever they do. Or you end this relationships. It doesn't sound like getting rid of the cat is an option, and it kind of shouldn't be since this 9 year old loves the cat and would be incredibly upset ( not to mention probably hate you when you move in)
This is pretty much the bottom line. And if the dad isn't being flexible then I don't see this relationship succeeding. I'm glad she asked before getting married and selling her home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,522,511 times
I dated my first wife for a year and a half back in the early 1990s. Her mother had 2 cats. We tried to "cat proof" one room, but it did not help. Cats are the one thing I am most allergic to over anything.

It affected my asthma horribly for about 3 years... Even after we got our own place and I quit going there.

At the time, my allergist told me that cat dander can bother a person with allergies for up to 12 years. And he said that even if you took a water hose and washed out the entire house (not something really possible), you would still have some. It will be in the a/c ducts and other places.

I was also on allergy shots at the time, but it still bothered me that much.

Now, I enter no one's home who owns a cat.

I would be careful. Even keeping the cat in 1 place will bother you.

But it is sad you are less important than the cat.

Last edited by MisterShipWreck; 11-21-2018 at 09:58 AM..

Old 11-21-2018, 09:56 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,264,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This is so sad.

Can't you just get rid of the child?

Spoiler
You guys know I'm kidding.
When I told my daughter we had to get rid of the cat because of her brother's allergy, that's what she said.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,050,984 times
Over time you do adjust to your own cats. I rarely have issues with ours but I have flare ups when exposed to other cats.

You need a good allergy medicine

Old 11-21-2018, 10:27 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,550,894 times
My husband and I spend more than $300/month on necessary prescriptions. It sucks, but it is what it is.

If you're going to marry your fiance, you will have to put this medicine in your budget and also get the allergy shots. (I'm gathering you only have the asthma if exposed to the cat?)

I do think since you were already engaged that it was not cool of him to get a Maine Coon for his son if he knew you were allergic to cats. He should have at the very least read this article and selected one of the breeds from the list: https://www.petmd.com/cat/wellness/e...nic_cat_breeds

Is he insensitive to your needs in other ways?

Old 11-21-2018, 11:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Agreed. We have a houseful of pets. Anyone that dates or lives with me has to accept that we are a pet household.
The OP is getting married next month. They got the cat six months ago. The medicine for the OP is $300 a month minimum plus the cost of the shots. Even with good insurance, that is usually another $1-2k a year minimum plus you need to be able to take time off work to go get shots once or twice a week during the first year. They may not work and/or the time commitment might not be feasible for the OP. I think it is unreasonable to expect that sort of commitment when they were together before the fiancé got one of the worst types of cats for people with allergies.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:00 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,661,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I disagree. She is refusing to try the shots (they may or may not work) because it's a big time commitment, and she ruled out the prescription inhaler due to cost. IMO, the OP is being selfish.
You obviously have no experience with allergy shots, or allergies in general. As long as she is being exposed to her allergen, her body will continue to signal that it objects. Asthma is already no joke; as her reactions evolve, future symptoms may be even more severe.

And again, it will be MONTHS at best before ANY relief is possible from shots. Meanwhile, she needs to breathe.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't know. And neither do you.
Wrong. Any immunologist will tell you there is no cure for allergies.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwars19 View Post
The house is kept reasonably clean but the cat sheds a lot . He’s a Maine coon. Not sure if the shedding is typical of the breeed.
He is on grain free food (Canidae brand)
Will try the coconut oil.
My prescription was for Symbicort (the $300 inhaler) and Albuterol and I was asked by the Dr to only use the Albuterol for emergencies and not regularly.
Symbicort did diddly squat for me; Albuterol works well in a pinch.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The OP is getting married next month. They got the cat six months ago. The medicine for the OP is $300 a month minimum plus the cost of the shots. Even with good insurance, that is usually another $1-2k a year minimum plus you need to be able to take time off work to go get shots once or twice a week during the first year. They may not work and/or the time commitment might not be feasible for the OP. I think it is unreasonable to expect that sort of commitment when they were together before the fiancé got one of the worst types of cats for people with allergies.
It's not just the first year. The doctor will periodically draw blood and create new serum as your needs change over time. (Once per year is typical). Each time you begin a new serum, you are back to twice per week, then once per week, then once every two weeks, then once every four weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships