Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:26 AM

421 posts, read 237,849 times

Advertisements

I will start by saying I have issues. Trust issues and issues about age as the last person I was with chose to be with someone 17 years younger than me , over me. That previous partner , and other men I've been with , have cheated. These are where some trust issues come from.

I am with someone new. He is younger than me, 7 1/2 years. Sometimes he seems immature for his age. Immature (in regards to responsibilities , a mama's boy at 38. I like his mom btw.) and in general. He sometimes says stupid things. The latest is him telling me about wrinkle cream and then telling me a 21 year old (I am 45) hit on him. He knows my relationship history. I asked him if he told her he has a girl friend and he says he did not. We have been together 6 months. I am having a hard time getting past this. He asked what he can do to make it better. I told him he can take me to his workplace for dinner. (He works in a restaurant with this girl.)

In fact, I had asked him to take me out to the restaurant 3 months ago and he said he did not want to because he doesn't like people knowing about his personal life. I let it go. I have met his friends, he only has two. He is not happy I am insisting on a date at the restaurant. I told him that he did not do his job and put a boundary in place by letting this girl know he has a girlfriend so I think this is a good way to let people know.

Meanwhile , I am feeling bad he talks about wrinkle cream and in the next breath a 21 year old hitting on him while he rarely compliments me. I randomly get compliments on my appearance but never from him.
Just wanted some feedback as I'm feeling really bad , not secure about our relationship whereas I usually do feel secure with him because I see he makes effort to be a good partner. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 07:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Why are you with this person again?

Old 01-02-2019, 07:44 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idkeither View Post
I will start by saying I have issues. Trust issues and issues about age as the last person I was with chose to be with someone 17 years younger than me , over me. That previous partner , and other men I've been with , have cheated. These are where some trust issues come from.

I am with someone new. He is younger than me, 7 1/2 years. Sometimes he seems immature for his age. Immature (in regards to responsibilities , a mama's boy at 38. I like his mom btw.) and in general. He sometimes says stupid things. The latest is him telling me about wrinkle cream and then telling me a 21 year old (I am 45) hit on him. He knows my relationship history. I asked him if he told her he has a girl friend and he says he did not. We have been together 6 months. I am having a hard time getting past this. He asked what he can do to make it better. I told him he can take me to his workplace for dinner. (He works in a restaurant with this girl.)

In fact, I had asked him to take me out to the restaurant 3 months ago and he said he did not want to because he doesn't like people knowing about his personal life. I let it go. I have met his friends, he only has two. He is not happy I am insisting on a date at the restaurant. I told him that he did not do his job and put a boundary in place by letting this girl know he has a girlfriend so I think this is a good way to let people know.

Meanwhile , I am feeling bad he talks about wrinkle cream and in the next breath a 21 year old hitting on him while he rarely compliments me. I randomly get compliments on my appearance but never from him.
Just wanted some feedback as I'm feeling really bad , not secure about our relationship whereas I usually do feel secure with him because I see he makes effort to be a good partner. Thank you
OP, I got through the 2nd paragraph, that's all. The question that immediately arises is: why are you attracted to these kinds of jerks? Why are you putting up with the twit you're currently with? You're right; he's not thinking and acting like a 38-yr-old. Find someone more mature, who cares about you. They're out there.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:51 AM

Why am i with him? Because I must have "a broken picker" , I honestly thought I finally (though I've had a couple good ones in the past.) got a good one. . .
I appreciate the responses. Thank you

Old 01-02-2019, 07:54 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
How did you meet this man and why on earth are you with him? If you're feeling this way six months into a relationship (the period of time when things between a couple are generally at their rosiest), it's not going to get any better the further down the line you go with him.

As Ruth wrote, move on. There are great (and mature) men out there.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
He is being insensitive, sure, but you cannot go through life expecting another person to make YOU feel better about yourself.

There's a difference between enjoying compliments and looking for someone to validate you as a person.

As for your BF, an intelligent person, when hearing about your past issues, would take care NOT to say things that make you feel worse. So of course what he can do to make it better is to stop saying idiotic things. But I'm not sure that's doable for him, based on what you've written.

He may not be the one for you.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:01 AM

603 posts, read 445,718 times
Quote:
Why am i with him? Because I must have "a broken picker" , I honestly thought I finally (though I've had a couple good ones in the past.) got a good one. . .
I appreciate the responses. Thank you

Yet your OP is full of negatives. --

Sometimes he seems immature for his age.
a mama's boy at 38
He sometimes says stupid things.
I have met his friends, he only has two.
he rarely compliments me

Personally I think he mentioned the thing about the 21 year old because he was either flattered or interested. You've only been together 6 months. I don't see this relationship going much further. You should want more for yourself.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
How did you meet this man and why on earth are you with him? If you're feeling this way six months into a relationship (the period of time when things between a couple are generally at their rosiest), it's not going to get any better the further down the line you go with him.

As Ruth wrote, move on. There are great (and mature) men out there.
I met him online. Right , I feel like I should be with someone who is crazy about me and at least tells me I'm pretty once in awhile , especially in the beginning.

I know this is written from my perspective but I thought I'd get more responses about my problems, not him being jerky. . .

Old 01-02-2019, 08:15 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
I know this is written from my perspective but I thought I'd get more responses about my problems, not him being jerky. . .

Your "problem" is your dating someone that is jerky.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
He is being insensitive, sure, but you cannot go through life expecting another person to make YOU feel better about yourself.

There's a difference between enjoying compliments and looking for someone to validate you as a person.
You have low self-esteem. That most likely makes your "trust issues" worse. You could use therapy to help with that instead of dating jerks with the idea that their behavior will make you feel good about yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships