Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 05:21 AM

7 posts, read 4,423 times

Advertisements

If you loved your SO and you believe they do too, would you leave them if they had a habit of lying about certain things, such as money? Would it make a difference if both don't live together? Even if the lying has no direct impact on you, does it make them less reliable overall or worse (a bad person, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 05:23 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integrityornot View Post
If you loved your SO and you believe they do too, would you leave them if they had a habit of lying about certain things, such as money? Would it make a difference if both don't live together? Even if the lying has no direct impact on you, does it make them less reliable overall or worse (a bad person, etc.)?
Lying is NOT love.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:23 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
I wish I had learned the importance of saying yes to this question

"would you leave them if they had a habit of lying "

YES.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:26 AM

What if you can "justify" their lying - for example, they may be too ashamed to tell you the truth? But they have promised in the past not to lie and while they seem to lie less, you still catch them lying about the same thing?

Old 08-20-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
What if you can "justify" their lying - for example, they may be too ashamed to tell you the truth? But they have promised in the past not to lie and while they seem to lie less, you still catch them lying about the same thing?
It’s a matter of respect.

They don’t respect you. They don’t respect themselves.

It ALWAYS “affects” you.

It’s NOT love.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:32 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Lying is NOT love.
And love is never enough to sustain a relationship. Integrity, faithfulness, trust must be part of the equation.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:56 AM

When I catch him in the lies, he says I lie to him and my adult son - in particular, I do downplay my relationship with my SO b/c my son feels uncomfortable about him and with him; so I don't share much information with my son and when asked by my SO, I leave the answers brief. Not sure how this "justifies" his lying over and over and despite him telling me he won't do it again.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
When I catch him in the lies, he says I lie to him and my adult son - in particular, I do downplay my relationship with my SO b/c my son feels uncomfortable about him and with him; so I don't share much information with my son and when asked by my SO, I leave the answers brief. Not sure how this "justifies" his lying over and over and despite him telling me he won't do it again.
Guess what - "downplaying" your relationship is dishonest as well. So now YOU are lying too, to your own son. smh

Do you enjoy "catching" him in his lies? Is it a game for you? Or do you think so little of yourself that you figure this is the best you can get.

All in all, it just makes you look like an idiot for tolerating it.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:15 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times
Obviously no one likes lying or being lied to. But if his lies protect him from feeling inferior in someway, then I can empathize a bit. I'm not saying you should condone lying though, but if you otherwise care for him, you might want to understand root cause.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:15 AM

It makes me mad and then it makes me really sad....I keep trusting him b/c I know we love each other and enjoy our company together but then you're right, I look like an idiot for tolerating this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships