Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 02:38 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,709,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Slaughter house worker. I know someone has to do it, but I couldn't be with them.
I second this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 10:22 PM

305 posts, read 212,929 times
As someone with European ancestry, I’d say any leftist who tacitly supports the dispossession of my people.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:50 AM

760 posts, read 421,122 times
I wouldn't date doctors or dentists or lawyers. Doctors and dentists don't have the time for a relationship.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:23 AM

1,241 posts, read 821,555 times
I would have a hard time dating someone whose occupation was the production or sale of alcohol or recreational drugs.

Also, anyone who really hates their work (active loathing, not just dissatisfaction.)

Old 05-11-2021, 09:26 AM

20,366 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentwoodfamilyMart View Post
I wouldn't date doctors or dentists or lawyers. Doctors and dentists don't have the time for a relationship.
This made me think of something. I might mention tattoo artists and I might not be the first person in the thread to do so, but my rationale would probably differ.

There was something that I learned, that convinced me I didn't want to BE one, when I was younger and it sounded like a cool thing to do with my life.

In that profession, you are either successful, in which case, you do nothing else but draw art and ink it onto your clients, you don't have time for much of anything else at all...

Or you are NOT successful, in which case welcome to the realm of "starving artist." Good luck paying the bills.

I don't think that I'd want to date someone who fell into either category, either. Although I do like tattoos just fine, and I respect and admire creative people, it's just not the easiest field to be a part of, from what I understand. Probably a lot of creative work is like that. Either it consumes your every waking moment, or you can't make ends meet. Possibly even both.

I guess that's been part of getting older, for me. I appreciate having a job that does not really speak to any passions in my soul, but it pays pretty dang well and it lets me have enough time and money to put into the things I love, in my off time. So there is no need to ruin the things that I enjoy by trying to force them to support me financially. When I was younger, I wanted a more exciting career doing something A-MAAAZ-INNNG but I think I've outgrown that. lol I'll take the health, dental and vision plans and the generous paid vacation time, it's cool.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:49 AM

When I was 18, I was dating a med student.

I would get to the hospital she was at to pick her up for lunch, and I'd end up waiting for hours for her to be free to catch a meal. Either she would get called by her teachers to do some work for them, or an emergency would occur and every deck hand had to put in work.

And that was a med student. Dating a doctor means you never know when she/he is coming home for dinner, you never know how many extra hours and extra shifts she's going to have to do because her x co-worker is sick, her y co-worker's kid came down with the flu, and you can find yourself waiting days to hear back from your doctor spouse.

As for artists, yeah, it's an interesting line of work, but most artists don't make decent money and these days money is more attractive to me than artistic passion because ink and paper and sculptures that no one wants to buy don't buy bread and milk.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:50 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentwoodfamilyMart View Post

And yet so many of them manage to marry and have families.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
And yet so many of them manage to marry and have families.
They make good money and being married to a doctor/lawyer/judge/dentist comes with a certain high level of social status within the family's community, so lots of women make the sacrifice of less family time and less time spent with their husbands, for the social and financial benfits that being married to a high-income man come with.

I'd rather get married to a waiter or a yoga teacher.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:22 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
For me:

Police officer
Psychiatrist
Gynecologist
Tattoo artist

You?
Reps to you for seeing the issue with men in this "profession". For most of 50 years I've shaken my head in disbelief at the indifference most people feign when it comes to the rampant sexual abuse of women in medical offices.

Women are programmed to override their most fundamental instincts....to abandon life's lessons, to think that magically and suddenly men think like women when they put on a white coat and enter an examining room. They don't - ever.

The male sexual response is as different from the female response as night is from day - always has been, always will be. A man - ANY man - in a gynecologist role who claims his only interest is in the "health of the patient" is a liar. A liar of the most unprincipled order.

But their blessing is a long history of, at first, naive and then evolving to simply foolish, women willing to act like they believe that lie.

Fortunately the incidence of men given the opportunity to sexually abuse women "professionally" in that role is fading as more and more female MDs enter the field and women naturally gravitate to them as patients. That's great to see, but disappointing that in the process only a small fraction of those who deserved time in prison were tried and convicted.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:28 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
What job would make you not date a person?
Nun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships