Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 04:41 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,038,358 times

Advertisements

This may fall under the "unusual pairings" category, but have you ever seen a couple out and about, the woman is dressed to the nines, while the dude is dressed like...a dude. Blue jeans, tennis shoes, and baseball cap with T-shirt (Not even a polo shirt)?

I dunno, but as a woman, would that get under your skin on a Sat night, the boyfriend dressing like a slob?

Old 09-19-2021, 05:47 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,130,875 times
I’m not a woman.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:59 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
This may fall under the "unusual pairings" category, but have you ever seen a couple out and about, the woman is dressed to the nines, while the dude is dressed like...a dude. Blue jeans, tennis shoes, and baseball cap with T-shirt (Not even a polo shirt)?

I dunno, but as a woman, would that get under your skin on a Sat night, the boyfriend dressing like a slob?
Hey--my partner and I often resemble this remark!

While my partner does clean up well when the occasion officially calls for it (and especially when we were first dating), I'm usually the one who's "dressed to the nines" (dress or skirt, full makeup, hair done, and high heels) while he's the one sporting jeans albeit generally with good shoes rather than tennies. Between my tendency to slightly overdress and his to underdress, I think that we "even things out" well between the two of us, lol.

His former spouse dictated what he wore and how he wore it for the entirety of their relationship, so I feel that it's not for me to dictate what this grown man of mine chooses to wear so long as he's neat and clean in his general appearance.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:05 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,038,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Hey--my partner and I often resemble this remark!

While my partner does clean up well when the occasion officially calls for it (and especially when we were first dating), I'm usually the one who's "dressed to the nines" (dress or skirt, full makeup, hair done, and high heels) while he's the one sporting jeans albeit generally with good shoes rather than tennies. Between my tendency to slightly overdress and his to underdress, I think that we "even things out" well between the two of us, lol.

His former spouse dictated what he wore and how he wore it for the entirety of their relationship, so I feel that it's not for me to dictate what this grown man of mine chooses to wear so long as he's neat and clean in his general appearance.
Did he always dress this way, or did he get lazy after he snatched you up? lol

Old 09-19-2021, 06:18 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Heh. When we first met, his go-to look was jeans, an untucked button-down shirt, a sport jacket, and a pair of nice shoes. That is still his "look" for when we do something especially nice like go to a show or events which call for it such as weddings, graduation ceremonies, funerals, and church services.

If he asks my opinion about what to wear to a certain event, I'll give it, but other than that, I think that he's relieved that he doesn't have me harping over his sartorial choices. (I will, however, press those button-downs of his for him from time to time. Even "casual" looks better if it's crisp and ironed.) So while he admittedly "slacked" on the clothing front once we settled in our relationship, for me, it's just a part of accepting him for who and what he is.

He's never been a tie guy as long as I've known him; he's worn one exactly once in our time together. My partner once worked in corporate NYC where there was a dress code and segued that into another profession that required a certain "look," so I think that his current mode of dress in favor of comfort was a both a relief and a bit of post-divorce rebellion,lol. The really nice shoes that he tends to wear are the one vestige of his former lives that he's doggedly held on to.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 09-19-2021 at 06:28 AM..

Old 09-19-2021, 07:18 AM

61,752 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:

Seen? Yes. Would date someone like that? No - I have standards.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:56 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,142,233 times
Quote:
Is "lazy" the best way to frame that, though? It doesn't take anymore work to put on a pair of dress slacks over a pair of jeans.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:06 AM

20,122 posts, read 9,036,439 times
except for weddings and funerals you'll find me in Tshirts and joggers. I could open a store with the shirts and pants with tags on them in the closet.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:13 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
In general, I like it when a guy knows what's appropriate with me having to raise an eyebrow. Casual's fine a lot of the time, but there are times and places where jeans or cargo shorts don't cut it. Someone who has a sense of style and puts in some effort is a plus.

I have seen those couples out on a date where she's dressed up and he's not. I don't their stories, but I would hope that early in the relationship or on a first date, they both would be trying to put their best foot forward.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:18 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Too many variables. Where are we out and about, the local bar or casual eatery, a community awards presentation, a work function? Did he meet up with me after work, after a ball game, did I just come from a job interview?
Now if you're talking about slob dressing as a regular occurrence, yeah, I've been known to tell a gentleman that his tee and scruffy tennis shoes, or his camos and boots, are inappropriate for the occasion and to put on some of his 'nice' clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships