Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 08:24 AM

29,792 posts, read 34,600,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
They were overworked(intense exercise) and fed just enough food to keep them alive(diet). yes it was an awful thing, but it proves (anyone) can not be fat.
Just stop. This is not a valid argument. Being thin because of starvation and abuse is not healthy. Skinny is not preferable to chubby if it comes with malnourishment and trauma. That is an eating disorder.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:45 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,094,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
The only bull excrement I see is in your own quote above.

Just because you may not have any problems maintaining a healthy weight doesn’t mean others won’t. Over two-thirds of the general population, and probably even higher than that among middle-aged and elderly people is overweight. Only the minority are actually at the weight they should be. Are you really so arrogant, short-sighted, and clueless to believe that ALL of those Hundreds of Millions of people are fat because they want to be? You really think that the reason ALL of these people aren’t thin is simply because they are lazy excuse makers? You actually believe that weight maintenance is as simple as diet, exercise, and OH-EVE willpower? The only thing more ridiculous than your own commentary is CHILISAUCECRITIC’S statement about “CONCENTRATION CAMP FITNESS”.

Fitness, and weight maintenance involve A LOT more than just City-Data WillPower, and diet and exercise. Ever heard of a thyroid OH-Eve? Some men and women’s don’t function as wonderfully as yours does, so they can walk run jump and starve all they want and still hardly lose a pound. Ever heard of hormonal imbalance or chronically high cortisol levels OH-Eve? Yep, hard for those people to lose weight too, regardless of how much desire they have to fix it. Ever heard of genetic predisposition? Some people are fat/obese because their parents are obese, and many of them were also very overweight as children. Lucky you for not being born into that category (go ahead pat yourself on the back), because if you were you would NOT be so disgustingly smug.

And finally, we come too Age Related Weight gain. It just happens and while it CAN be managed, for some people it is A LOT harder than for others because their body doesn’t work as excellently as yours. Age related weight gain is as natural as going bald, or menopause, or whitening hair. I’ve even seen A LOT of fat older people in hunter-gather communities in pictures, and in documentaries. Why would you think some of THOSE people would be fat OH-EVE….or CHILISAUCECRITIC?… because older people getting fatter is what happens. And it effects every. single. solitary. person differently, so your own personal experience with weight maintenance is entirely irrelevant.
I have hashimotos. I put in triple the effort to look the way I look. And while you are typing this you could have just as well gone for a run instead.

I dont listen to excuses from overweight people. Go back to the couch and have a soda.

Last edited by oh-eve; 09-26-2021 at 09:00 AM..

Old 09-26-2021, 09:31 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,010,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have hashimotos. I put in triple the effort to look the way I look. And while you are typing this you could have just as well gone for a run instead.

I dont listen to excuses from overweight people. Go back to the couch and have a soda.
I also have Hashimotos and finally got that handled only to find out I have PCOS. Which is way worse on you metabolism. Until that one gets solved, zero pounds are moving.

Old 09-26-2021, 02:58 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,257,764 times
Quote:
How is it an Unrealistic expectation if there are people who actually look like that? I've known people who have been fat or chubby their whole life and then one day choose to focus on their health and turn into a "hard bodied god or goddess" yes hormonal changes can make it where your body stores fat more easily BUT your body can't store fat if it's getting not enough fat or carbs & sugar that it can turn into fat. basically if you take in fewer calories than you burn the result is weight loss, if you take in the same amount of calories that you burn the result is your weight will stabilize.
People are real sensitive for about this subject and I think it's because having a body like that is a lot of hard work hard work a lot of people might not even have time for. You don't get the body of a god/goddess by not eating you have to work out. But you just don't eat you get skinny.

They say it's unrealistic because it's unrealistic for them. Most people are sensitive about it because they're self-critical not self-critical enough to do anything but self-critical enough that they're sensitive about it when someone else criticizes.

Also lifestyle changes are extremely difficult. And you've got to weigh the benefits do you want to change your lifestyle to the point where it's uncomfortable so that shallow have people can find you attractive and if so what's the benefit?

Old 09-26-2021, 04:06 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,094,715 times
Quote:
They were overworked(intense exercise) and fed just enough food to keep them alive(diet). yes it was an awful thing, but it proves (anyone) can not be fat.
you are digging yourself deeper.

You could just simply point out that there are many countries where people are mostly slim and they have just as many thyroid issues. Probably most African countries (just a wild guess since there are many poor areas).

Old 09-26-2021, 07:39 PM

1,455 posts, read 745,591 times
Quote:
you are digging yourself deeper.

You could just simply point out that there are many countries where people are mostly slim and they have just as many thyroid issues. Probably most African countries (just a wild guess since there are many poor areas).
Yep being poor and fat is mostly a western world phenomena, I get it, it's easier to get fat when you are poor here because the cheapest(good tasting) foods are loaded with starch and it's expensive to get food that is healthy AND tastes good. and Asians are mostly slim though that's starting to change since western fast food is getting popular in Asia, but not as bad as here.

Part of the issue here in the states is we still have a farmers diet but we don't spend 11 hours behind a plow anymore, nor do we spend 12 hours in a factory like we did up until the 30's simply put we burn fewer calories in our usual day than our grandparents did.

even in Europe they are thinner because fewer people have car's so most people walk or ride bikes everywhere they go, I have a friend in the Netherlands who thinks it's weird that Americans buy 2 weeks worth of groceries in one trip, but she rides a bicycle with a basket up front so her shopping trips are across her small village for 2 bags of groceries every other day. but I guess that's why when I was there it seemed like only 1 out of 100 people were fat and maybe 1 in 30 were even chubby. It felt like I was surrounded by fitness models male and female. and yes people have cars there but not the majority and even those that do seem to still walk everywhere or ride bikes in their area and use their cars to go to work if they work in another city or to drive out to the countryside on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
People are real sensitive for about this subject and I think it's because having a body like that is a lot of hard work hard work a lot of people might not even have time for. You don't get the body of a god/goddess by not eating you have to work out. But you just don't eat you get skinny.

They say it's unrealistic because it's unrealistic for them. Most people are sensitive about it because they're self-critical not self-critical enough to do anything but self-critical enough that they're sensitive about it when someone else criticizes.

Also lifestyle changes are extremely difficult. And you've got to weigh the benefits do you want to change your lifestyle to the point where it's uncomfortable so that shallow have people can find you attractive and if so what's the benefit?
Trust me I understand how they feel, I hate that I have to work out everyday and ride my mountain bike 27 miles every other night to be lean and toned, and watch what I eat just to have an "okay body" especially since when as a teenager and through most of my 20's I had a diet that was mostly pizza, Doritos and Sunkist soda but was ripped to shred's like an Olympic track star. but I got fat when my metabolism slowed down in my late 20's and I got well past 300lb, I worked hard and lost it almost 20 years ago and I refuse to get fat again so I do what I have to do.

oh and it only took 4 months to drop from 350 - 217 pounds, carbs became my enemy, also if something takes too long I lose hope that it's working so I knew I had to go all in as only fast progress encourages me that I'm on the right path, it's how my brain works.

And a few years ago I found my birth family(I was adopted) and quickly learned that it's common in my family that everyone starts off rail thin and blows up in their 30's I was the thinnest one over 30 at the party my birth mother threw for me(introducing me to most of my family) outside of my sister who is a vegan(we get along so well).

Last edited by ChileSauceCritic; 09-26-2021 at 07:56 PM..

Old 09-26-2021, 10:23 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,257,764 times
Quote:
Yep being poor and fat is mostly a western world phenomena, I get it, it's easier to get fat when you are poor here because the cheapest(good tasting) foods are loaded with starch and it's expensive to get food that is healthy AND tastes good. and Asians are mostly slim though that's starting to change since western fast food is getting popular in Asia, but not as bad as here.

Part of the issue here in the states is we still have a farmers diet but we don't spend 11 hours behind a plow anymore, nor do we spend 12 hours in a factory like we did up until the 30's simply put we burn fewer calories in our usual day than our grandparents did.

even in Europe they are thinner because fewer people have car's so most people walk or ride bikes everywhere they go, I have a friend in the Netherlands who thinks it's weird that Americans buy 2 weeks worth of groceries in one trip, but she rides a bicycle with a basket up front so her shopping trips are across her small village for 2 bags of groceries every other day. but I guess that's why when I was there it seemed like only 1 out of 100 people were fat and maybe 1 in 30 were even chubby. It felt like I was surrounded by fitness models male and female. and yes people have cars there but not the majority and even those that do seem to still walk everywhere or ride bikes in their area and use their cars to go to work if they work in another city or to drive out to the countryside on the weekend.

Trust me I understand how they feel, I hate that I have to work out everyday and ride my mountain bike 27 miles every other night to be lean and toned, and watch what I eat just to have an "okay body" especially since when as a teenager and through most of my 20's I had a diet that was mostly pizza, Doritos and Sunkist soda but was ripped to shred's like an Olympic track star. but I got fat when my metabolism slowed down in my late 20's and I got well past 300lb, I worked hard and lost it almost 20 years ago and I refuse to get fat again so I do what I have to do.
Yeah losing weight is really simple it just isn't easy. That's why people like to blame "the chemicals."

That being said most people see overweight people as lazy and they typically aren't, they just can't do the diet.
Quote:
oh and it only took 4 months to drop from 350 - 217 pounds, carbs became my enemy, also if something takes too long I lose hope that it's working so I knew I had to go all in as only fast progress encourages me that I'm on the right path, it's how my brain works.
You're lucky such a diet works for you many people who do low carbohydrate diets wind up fatter then when they started.

My approach is trying to change my lifestyle
Quote:
And a few years ago I found my birth family(I was adopted) and quickly learned that it's common in my family that everyone starts off rail thin and blows up in their 30's I was the thinnest one over 30 at the party my birth mother threw for me(introducing me to most of my family) outside of my sister who is a vegan(we get along so well).
Well I'm glad you were reunited with your biological family

Old 09-27-2021, 04:13 AM

1,712 posts, read 799,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Sure, some may don't want to be, but...they whine and complain about their weight, but aren't willing to do a thing about it.

They probably don't want to be, and others don't mind one bit (because body positivity). Hell, there's even childhood obesity. I'd say the United States is considered THE fattest country in the US. If you go to Asia, a lot of thin or average shaped people there, but they are starting to catch up because McDonalds' started popping up in other places. If they just stayed away from eating out all the time, fast food, or just learned to step away from the table...but they got to WANT to lose the weight.

If people didn't run to the workplace breakroom every day to get the morning donuts, then they'd better off.

I see people with BIG GULPS of soda on their desks, HUGE pint cups of coffee loaded with creamer and sugar!

But it is true, as we get older, we do get at least a pooch. It's harder to lose the weight as we age. Though, I do know some 50 yoga gurus that may say otherwise. As you get older, you do have to work harder

But again, avoid the Big Gulps and huge cups of sweet coffee.
Weight control comes down to a lot more than avoiding McDonalds and Big Gulps? I absolutely, disagree. Some of the slimmest people I know, while they lift weights, eat like absolute trash. I mean literally whatever they want and they’re still slim. I’d bet that if you walked into a mall and observed the people sipping on BIG Gulps or sugary Starbucks drinks, many of them AREN’T severely overweight.

Weight loss or maintenance, is way more involved than just fast food avoidance. If your testosterone, progesterone, or estrogen levels are off. That weight ain’t going anywhere buddy. You’d have to see an endocrinologist to get your hormones in order before you see substantial progress. Same with Thyroid.

None of this make those people “lazy” or addicted to fast food. They just have to work at it a lot harder.

Last edited by SerlingHitchcockJPeele; 09-27-2021 at 04:58 AM..

Old 09-27-2021, 04:41 AM

1,712 posts, read 799,041 times
Quote:

Oh please, with your “I don’t listen to excuses”.

See that’s your problem, who in the world are you to call “absolute BS” on somebody else like you’re that important? And, then to follow it up with a personal attack&assumption about someone you don’t know. I *DO* workout! And I, as well as we all, could stand to lose a few more but I’m in decent shape.

I’m taking this position on this thread, because you come off like a snob who lacks empathy. But since I need to “get off the couch” “go for a run” or “get a soda” (personal attack)…. You too should check out your own shortcomings. I doubt you’re the picture of perfection, probably very far from it!

Last edited by SerlingHitchcockJPeele; 09-27-2021 at 04:56 AM..

Old 09-27-2021, 05:48 AM

1,455 posts, read 745,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Weight control comes down to a lot more than avoiding McDonalds and Big Gulps? I absolutely, disagree. Some of the slimmest people I know, while they lift weights, eat like absolute trash. I mean literally whatever they want and they’re still slim. I’d bet that if you walked into a mall and observed the people sipping on BIG Gulps or sugary Starbucks drinks, many of them AREN’T severely overweight.

Weight loss or maintenance, is way more involved than just fast food avoidance. If your testosterone, progesterone, or estrogen levels are off. That weight ain’t going anywhere buddy. You’d have to see an endocrinologist to get your hormones in order before you see substantial progress. Same with Thyroid.

None of this make those people “lazy” or addicted to fast food. They just have to work at it a lot harder.
yes there are 3 types of bodies,

1. endomorphs those who store fat very easily, they are the majority of the population because 140,000 years ago it was actually a genetic legs up since for most of the time humans existed food was hard to come by and not guarantied everyday or even every week so even though most cavemen were thin(brutal life) they stored fat like crazy.

2. ectomorphs those who would have to eat themselves into a coma to be even slightly chubby, the one who can eat whatever they want and still have a body like a runway model, a minority since for most of the time humans have existed it was a genetic disadvantage since the first time food get's scarce(which was most of the time) they died within a week or so since their bodies burned off their calories too fast.

3. mesomorphs those that pack on muscle easily, minimal exercise and they look like they are training for the Olympics.

BUT !!!! and endomorph can look like an ectomorph or a mesomorph they just have to work A LOT harder at it, I know it does not seem fair but it's true, I don't care how slow your metabolism is or how out of whack your hormones are your body can't store fat if you don't feed it enough to have anything left over to store after it burns calories to keep your organs going and muscles moving.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-27-2021 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Copyright violations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships