Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 08:38 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,547,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
This may fall under the "unusual pairings" category, but have you ever seen a couple out and about, the woman is dressed to the nines, while the dude is dressed like...a dude. Blue jeans, tennis shoes, and baseball cap with T-shirt (Not even a polo shirt)?

I dunno, but as a woman, would that get under your skin on a Sat night, the boyfriend dressing like a slob?
Yes, it would, unless we were going someplace where that clothing is expected like a casual barbecue or a baseball game. If he shows up like that for a "date night" kind of night like dinner at a nice restaurant and a night on the town, that would put me off.

Old 09-20-2021, 04:55 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,111,553 times
It depends how you define 'dress nice'(ly). I have worn a suit exactly once in my entire life and felt like a complete fraud. I detest button-down shirts because they need ironing and, if I wear a new Megadeth tee that doesn't have any holes with pants that don't double as half a pair of pyjamas, I consider a fair and reasonable effort made. If you're not comfortable being seen with me like that, you're likely not my kind of human.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:03 AM

49 posts, read 28,016 times
My "dress code" normally is dependent upon the weather and what sort of gun I need to conceal. If I need to blend in at a coat and tie affair, tee shirt and jeans is not going to suffice. Ditto if it's really cold outside.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:46 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,307,657 times
This hits close to home for me. Back when we were dating, my wife would always dress 'nicer' than me. I am more comfortable in something like a flannel shirt and jeans while she typically dressed up a bit more. I attributed this to our career choices, as she worked in a more corporate environment and I am in academia. Now that we are married with kids, neither of us dresses up except for special occasions. Aside from an occasional recommendation that I change out of my Cannibal Corpse t-shirt to coach my 3 year old daughter's soccer team or avoid wearing my "paint clothes" out to eat she doesn't try to change my dress habits. Dressing up or going to places where dressing up is expected has never appealed to me.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:58 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,078,361 times
If a guy wants his girlfriend to dress up and look great then he shouldn't look like a slob himself. Most women put on a little makeup, earrings, and a nice outfit for a date and I think a guy should be respectful and do that too. But it depends on the date though. A woman who "dresses to the nines" to go to an outdoor festival, ball game or other casual event--that's a little overkill.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:40 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,862,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
If a guy wants his girlfriend to dress up and look great then he shouldn't look like a slob himself. Most women put on a little makeup, earrings, and a nice outfit for a date and I think a guy should be respectful and do that too.
I agree.

When I was a teenager in the 80s, my dad, who was no sensitive, fashion conscious kinda guy (but always wore nice suits to work), had noticed how my boyfriend at the time, and my friends' boyfriends, typically dressed when they picked us up to go out.

One night, he angrily said, "you girls should send those immature slobs packing. If I were a young lady, even *I* wouldn't be seen with them!"

Old 09-20-2021, 07:56 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,610,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Just back from a golf trip with eight men 55 to 67. Went to dinner at up scale restaurants ($75 per plate) and was shocked at the level of dress from some of the group. Based on what they wore they should have been mowing their lawns. No wives around to layout their clothes. No guff from the restaurant as eight guys at $75 a head covered any objections. I was disappointed in some of the group members.

IMO there is a super big difference between men aged 55 to 67 having dinner together & women expecting men to be able to dress for a date that is appropriate for the occasion.^^ Men should be able to dress themselves for work or dating…tho there are women that can’t either. If somebody is going to look & feel their best, IMO that includes being stylish & dressing appropriately for where you’re going.

It’s common sense & IMO…it says a lot about their maturity so I would never have dated a man that didn’t look stylish & manly or at least appropriate. Most successful men know how to dress even if past girlfriends or salespeople gave them tips. They get it done. It’s the boys who wear flip flops, screen tees & baseball hats on a date IMO.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:17 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,111,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Just back from a golf trip with eight men 55 to 67. Went to dinner at up scale restaurants ($75 per plate) and was shocked at the level of dress from some of the group. Based on what they wore they should have been mowing their lawns. No wives around to layout their clothes. No guff from the restaurant as eight guys at $75 a head covered any objections. I was disappointed in some of the group members.
If I'm expected to pay $75 for dinner, drinks, desserts and tips presumably not included, I'll wear what I flipping well please.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:25 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,038,788 times
Quote:
This may fall under the "unusual pairings" category, but have you ever seen a couple out and about, the woman is dressed to the nines, while the dude is dressed like...a dude. Blue jeans, tennis shoes, and baseball cap with T-shirt (Not even a polo shirt)?

I dunno, but as a woman, would that get under your skin on a Sat night, the boyfriend dressing like a slob?
nope, I do not care.

I dated a beautiful looking guy last year who mostly ran around with wife beaters on.

After a few times out and people staring at us - we were an odd couple, both tall and fit, him 20 years younger, me dressed up him not -He mentioned he should probably start wearing real T-shirts to not look like a jackass next to me in dresses and heel. I did not care. I would not have taken him home to my parents with the undershirts but other than that, did not care.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:41 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,367,373 times
Quote:

No it wouldn't. Slob is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Seen? Yes. Would date someone like that? No - I have standards.
As if those who are fine with someone living in casual clothes have no standards? Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
except for weddings and funerals you'll find me in Tshirts and joggers. I could open a store with the shirts and pants with tags on them in the closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I file that under: some women are so desperate to have any guy . . . they'll go along with it.
What a myopic view. I'm a casual gal. I dress appropriately for events. The rest of the time I dress in clean, comfortable, casual clothing and if people think that doesn't meet some sort of standard, they can pound sand. People seem to think that casual clothing means rips, stains, sloppy and whatnot. How weird. My casual wardrobe is not sloppy or cheap.

I will say that a person who wears a baseball cap indoors at a restaurant while eating is-- to me-- very unattractive. Some people may not mind. Those people can date the cap wearers and be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships