Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 04:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,960,941 times

Advertisements

While I really really appreciate a well dressed man, it is not so common anymore. It got downgraded on my list to a bonus and not a must have. I realized that as things have gotten more casual, people don’t have many dress up occasions and kinda forgot how.

I went on a casual date yesterday and honestly I kinda felt under-dressed. The guy told me wear to meet and said “don’t dress up too much.” I got there with a casual dress, a cardigan, and my fancy sneakers. He was wearing a sweater, some matching neutral colored jeans, and some hard soles lace up shoes. :O I do rarely see men wearing hard soles shoes. Especially on a weekend.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:21 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,613,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I do rarely see men wearing hard soles shoes. Especially on a weekend.

IMO it’s super common to see depending on where you go…..like rugged & trendy boots or shoes with slim straight jeans on a guy. There are so many styles….like Chelsea, chukka, Timberlands or combat boots tho they may not know the names of all the styles. Cap toe boots or shoes too. Lots of guys practically live in them for going out at night with jeans, especially now. They are like a clothing staple IMO for any stylish man under 50…but still casual.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO it’s super common to see depending on where you go…..like rugged & trendy boots or shoes with slim straight jeans on a guy. There are so many styles….like Chelsea, chukka, Timberlands or combat boots tho they may not know the names of all the styles. Cap toe boots or shoes too. Lots of guys practically live in them for going out at night with jeans, especially now. They are like a clothing staple IMO for any stylish man under 50…but still casual.
Oh yeah. Just not where I live. No one wears hard soles shoes anywhere. Except a few special crowds. Stylish men are super rare. 99% of them are transplants.*

*this guy is a transplant
** trendy sneakers are the going out show of choice here. Either minimal sneakers like common projects or some super clean Air Force ones or Yeezys.
*** no one wears hard shoes to the office either so people just have that one pair for weddings and funerals.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:53 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,613,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
** trendy sneakers are the going out show of choice here. Either minimal sneakers like common projects or some super clean Air Force ones or Yeezys.

Lots of popular clubs & nightspots don’t allow sneakers….tho that’s what I was saying. I like when a man is mature enough to understand how to dress for the situation even if they are casual.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:20 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,433,876 times
Just back from a golf trip with eight men 55 to 67. Went to dinner at up scale restaurants ($75 per plate) and was shocked at the level of dress from some of the group. Based on what they wore they should have been mowing their lawns. No wives around to layout their clothes. No guff from the restaurant as eight guys at $75 a head covered any objections. I was disappointed in some of the group members.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:38 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,444,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Just back from a golf trip with eight men 55 to 67. Went to dinner at up scale restaurants ($75 per plate) and was shocked at the level of dress from some of the group. Based on what they wore they should have been mowing their lawns. No wives around to layout their clothes. No guff from the restaurant as eight guys at $75 a head covered any objections. I was disappointed in some of the group members.
Yeah, it is just impossible to get a group of guys to "dress up" AT ALL! Even with ladies present there's only so much that can be done. <please TP - we know that you and your guy are always dressed perfectly for any occasion as are all your friends> but in the rest of the world, especially where salaries tend to be under $150k, men barely shave and rarely put on jeans much less khakis and hard-soled shoes. "Comfort" is key and men just won't be bothered with a non-elastic waist.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:38 PM

52,388 posts, read 52,872,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
75 bucks a plate isnt enough for me to lose my Slayer shirt, sorry, I guess my snobbiness is showing.

I could win 100M in the lotto, I'd still be the same middle class guy I grew up in.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:39 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,272,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Is "lazy" the best way to frame that, though? It doesn't take anymore work to put on a pair of dress slacks over a pair of jeans.
No one under 50 even knows what dress slacks are...

Most young people wear jeans as dress wear.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:12 PM

6,922 posts, read 4,939,162 times
The young men at one of my banks dress sharp, much better than the women. The woman in charge of them dresses mid range. At another bank, not so much. Not terrible, just more casual. I don't care as long as they get the job done, but I do notice people that dress a bit sharper.

My DH was always dressed right for the occasion. One thing I initially liked about him was he was as comfortable in a suit and tie as shorts and a t-shirt. We would dress up to go to shows or dinner but eventually got much more casual. We got to the point where we felt that if no one else was going to be dressed up that there was no point in us doing it.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Lots of popular clubs & nightspots don’t allow sneakers….tho that’s what I was saying. I like when a man is mature enough to understand how to dress for the situation even if they are casual.
Oh I agree! I live in the Peter Pan region though, it is absurdly casual . The only clubs with no sneakers here are the ones that have metal detectors at the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships