Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 01:37 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,551,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Disgusting analogy. Those people were traumatized and starved and not treated as humans. That has absolutely zero to do with healthy body image.

Yes, Chile, what were you thinking with that comment? Those people were starved near to death, and sometimes TO death. It was a war crime!

Are you aware that when people were liberated from the camps, a lot of them died shortly thereafter from "refeeding syndrome?" It happens when your electrolytes shift too much too fast after you have been malnourished for a long time. (It is a concern these days in patients in treatment for anorexia.) Years ago I spoke to Americans and Brits of the WWII generation who fought in the war and they told stories of that and how sad it was to see people go out and eat and drink themselves to death on relatively small amounts of food, beverage, and alcohol.

Goodness.

Old 09-25-2021, 01:42 PM

20,777 posts, read 20,076,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
But there were no fat people recued from concentration camps after WW2.
OMG, did you really just write this too soon, too soon. Give it another approx, 100 years before you say that again.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:05 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,551,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Good for you! I'm trying to lose 10-15 pounds, as well. I've lost a pound so far.

This isn't going to be easy, but I'm sick of having this extra weight.

Thank you! It has not been easy. I am past menopause and had to make a lot of adjustments. Things that work in younger people don't always work in older. For example, moderate exercise can be better for helping weight loss in some post-menopausal women because the strenuous kind can promote that pesky cortisol people are talking about, and lucky me I am one of those women so no more P90X and things like that (which my back no longer likes too much anyway). Also, goodbye mass-produced baked goods. I have not had a single beloved Pepperidge Farm chocolate chip cookie since February. I know myself, however. I do not buy those because I know I cannot stop at one and the next thing you know I am Cookie Monster.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:32 PM

1,712 posts, read 796,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Thats just all BS. An excuse to be overweight.

It is not unrealistic to expect people to be a normal weight. And I am not saying size 12 is normal. 30 years ago there was no instagram and tictoc and people were slimmer than now. My parent dont have GUTS, and they went through age and hormonal changes. And guess what - they adjusted their lifestyle, WOW! People actually do that. And they dont have instagram. They exercise and eat normal. Which is not extreme. They gain weight quicker now and therefore eat less.
The only bull excrement I see is in your own quote above.

Just because you may not have any problems maintaining a healthy weight doesn’t mean others won’t. Over two-thirds of the general population, and probably even higher than that among middle-aged and elderly people is overweight. Only the minority are actually at the weight they should be. Are you really so arrogant, short-sighted, and clueless to believe that ALL of those Hundreds of Millions of people are fat because they want to be? You really think that the reason ALL of these people aren’t thin is simply because they are lazy excuse makers? You actually believe that weight maintenance is as simple as diet, exercise, and OH-EVE willpower? The only thing more ridiculous than your own commentary is CHILISAUCECRITIC’S statement about “CONCENTRATION CAMP FITNESS”.

Fitness, and weight maintenance involve A LOT more than just City-Data WillPower, and diet and exercise. Ever heard of a thyroid OH-Eve? Some men and women’s don’t function as wonderfully as yours does, so they can walk run jump and starve all they want and still hardly lose a pound. Ever heard of hormonal imbalance or chronically high cortisol levels OH-Eve? Yep, hard for those people to lose weight too, regardless of how much desire they have to fix it. Ever heard of genetic predisposition? Some people are fat/obese because their parents are obese, and many of them were also very overweight as children. Lucky you for not being born into that category (go ahead pat yourself on the back), because if you were you would NOT be so disgustingly smug.

And finally, we come too Age Related Weight gain. It just happens and while it CAN be managed, for some people it is A LOT harder than for others because their body doesn’t work as excellently as yours. Age related weight gain is as natural as going bald, or menopause, or whitening hair. I’ve even seen A LOT of fat older people in hunter-gather communities in pictures, and in documentaries. Why would you think some of THOSE people would be fat OH-EVE….or CHILISAUCECRITIC?… because older people getting fatter is what happens. And it effects every. single. solitary. person differently, so your own personal experience with weight maintenance is entirely irrelevant.

Last edited by SerlingHitchcockJPeele; 09-25-2021 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-25-2021, 02:51 PM

29,781 posts, read 34,567,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Just because you may not have any problems maintaining a healthy weight doesn’t mean others won’t. Over two-thirds of the general population, and probably even higher than that among middle-aged and elderly people is overweight. Only the minority are actually at the weight they should be. Are you really so arrogant, short-sighted, and clueless to believe that ALL of those Hundreds of Millions of people are fat because they want to be? You really think that the reason ALL of these people aren’t thin is simply because they are lazy excuse makers?
We're veering off topic, but Michael Hobbes wrote a really interesting and well-researched article a few years ago about the obesity epidemic that I've kept bookmarked:https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/...sity-is-wrong/

Quote:
For 60 years, doctors and researchers have known two things that could have improved, or even saved, millions of lives. The first is that diets do not work. Not just paleo or Atkins or Weight Watchers or Goop, but all diets. Since 1959, research has shown that 95 to 98 percent of attempts to lose weight fail and that two-thirds of dieters gain back more than they lost. The reasons are biological and irreversible. As early as 1969, research showed that losing just 3 percent of your body weight resulted in a 17 percent slowdown in your metabolism—a body-wide starvation response that blasts you with hunger hormones and drops your internal temperature until you rise back to your highest weight. Keeping weight off means fighting your body’s energy-regulation system and battling hunger all day, every day, for the rest of your life.

Old 09-25-2021, 03:21 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,051,748 times
Quote:

Just because you may not have any problems maintaining a healthy weight doesn’t mean others won’t. Over two-thirds of the general population, and probably even higher than that among middle-aged and elderly people is overweight. Only the minority are actually at the weight they should be. Are you really so arrogant, short-sighted, and clueless to believe that ALL of those Hundreds of Millions of people are fat because they want to be? .
Sure, some may don't want to be, but...they whine and complain about their weight, but aren't willing to do a thing about it.

They probably don't want to be, and others don't mind one bit (because body positivity). Hell, there's even childhood obesity. I'd say the United States is considered THE fattest country in the US. If you go to Asia, a lot of thin or average shaped people there, but they are starting to catch up because McDonalds' started popping up in other places. If they just stayed away from eating out all the time, fast food, or just learned to step away from the table...but they got to WANT to lose the weight.

If people didn't run to the workplace breakroom every day to get the morning donuts, then they'd better off.

I see people with BIG GULPS of soda on their desks, HUGE pint cups of coffee loaded with creamer and sugar!

But it is true, as we get older, we do get at least a pooch. It's harder to lose the weight as we age. Though, I do know some 50 yoga gurus that may say otherwise. As you get older, you do have to work harder

But again, avoid the Big Gulps and huge cups of sweet coffee.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:20 PM

1,449 posts, read 743,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Disgusting analogy. Those people were traumatized and starved and not treated as humans. That has absolutely zero to do with healthy body image.
They were overworked(intense exercise) and fed just enough food to keep them alive(diet). yes it was an awful thing, but it proves (anyone) can not be fat.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:32 PM

18,139 posts, read 9,456,266 times
Not cool, Chile.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:01 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,872,817 times
Quote:

Just because you may not have any problems maintaining a healthy weight doesn’t mean others won’t. Over two-thirds of the general population, and probably even higher than that among middle-aged and elderly people is overweight. Only the minority are actually at the weight they should be. Are you really so arrogant, short-sighted, and clueless to believe that ALL of those Hundreds of Millions of people are fat because they want to be? You really think that the reason ALL of these people aren’t thin is simply because they are lazy excuse makers? You actually believe that weight maintenance is as simple as diet, exercise, and OH-EVE willpower? The only thing more ridiculous than your own commentary is CHILISAUCECRITIC’S statement about “CONCENTRATION CAMP FITNESS”.

Fitness, and weight maintenance involve A LOT more than just City-Data WillPower, and diet and exercise. Ever heard of a thyroid OH-Eve? Some men and women’s don’t function as wonderfully as yours does, so they can walk run jump and starve all they want and still hardly lose a pound. Ever heard of hormonal imbalance or chronically high cortisol levels OH-Eve? Yep, hard for those people to lose weight too, regardless of how much desire they have to fix it. Ever heard of genetic predisposition? Some people are fat/obese because their parents are obese, and many of them were also very overweight as children. Lucky you for not being born into that category (go ahead pat yourself on the back), because if you were you would NOT be so disgustingly smug.

And finally, we come too Age Related Weight gain. It just happens and while it CAN be managed, for some people it is A LOT harder than for others because their body doesn’t work as excellently as yours. Age related weight gain is as natural as going bald, or menopause, or whitening hair. I’ve even seen A LOT of fat older people in hunter-gather communities in pictures, and in documentaries. Why would you think some of THOSE people would be fat OH-EVE….or CHILISAUCECRITIC?… because older people getting fatter is what happens. And it effects every. single. solitary. person differently, so your own personal experience with weight maintenance is entirely irrelevant.
My goodness.

Middle-aged person here. Fifty-five years old. Mom of 3. Weight was a 100% non-issue for me throughout my life. After each baby, I was back in my tight Levi's 2 weeks postpartum.

Then I hit my mid-40s. And, even though I've always watched my diet and worked out, I saw the weight slowly, ever so slowly, creep on -- in areas of my body I'd never had issues previously. Now I have a good 10-15 pounds to lose to get down to the weight I was at around age 40, despite run-walking many miles per week, biking, hiking, doing weights, etc.

So I know all about age related weight gain. It becomes very difficult to keep those pounds to off. You're right.

But oh-eve makes a good argument, too. The problem of middle-aged weight gain is universal, yes, but it's not nearly as much of a problem in other parts of the world as it is in the US. That's a fact. Rates of obesity are significantly lower in other advanced countries. So, if getting fat is as inevitable as you make it out to be, why is there variation in this inevitability from one country to another?

Could it possibly be lifestyle choices here in the US that strongly correlate with being overweight or obese?

In any case, you're easily angered, and you need to take a few deep breaths before launching another personal attack.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:08 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,872,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
They probably don't want to be, and others don't mind one bit (because body positivity). Hell, there's even childhood obesity. I'd say the United States is considered THE fattest country in the US. If you go to Asia, a lot of thin or average shaped people there, but they are starting to catch up because McDonalds' started popping up in other places. If they just stayed away from eating out all the time, fast food, or just learned to step away from the table...but they got to WANT to lose the weight.

But it is true, as we get older, we do get at least a pooch. It's harder to lose the weight as we age. Though, I do know some 50 yoga gurus that may say otherwise. As you get older, you do have to work harder
I don't think the US is the fattest country in the world, but it's in the top 10 or 15. But, yes, there are clear reasons why more than a third of Americans are obese (not just overweight), while only about 5% of Japanese are obese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships