Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 08:09 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,160,466 times

Advertisements

OP, did you ever think that maybe she's bone tired?

On one hand, you call her a high achiever, and in final year of medical sciences degree. That sounds pretty impressive to me. But on the other hand, you call her lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 08:16 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousCove View Post
I try to make it fun with interval sprints.
You sure do know how to party.

Last edited by timberline742; 10-13-2022 at 08:28 AM..

Old 10-13-2022, 08:20 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
You're pushing way too hard to make her into what you want her to be. Life just doesnt work that way. Marriage is a partnership, not a Daddy issue, which is what you are doing.

Only way to make this work is to stop pushing her and let her do what she wants. If you dont like her for who she is, you married the wrong person.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:29 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,160,466 times
Wow, oh wow. Your mom lives with you both, too? So...her home isn't really HER home, it's yours and your mom's, right?

I'm wondering...was this an arranged marriage?

Old 10-13-2022, 09:10 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Any advice other than something that'll destroy this marriage?
Move out of your mother's house. Your wife needs her own home and privacy with you.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:13 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
I feel sorry, for HER. It must be hard to be married to OP and his mum.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:13 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Wow, oh wow. Your mom lives with you both, too? So...her home isn't really HER home, it's yours and your mom's, right?

I'm wondering...was this an arranged marriage?
Ooof, I think you are onto something.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:53 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
OP, how long has she been showing the symptoms you describe? Did she seem depressed through whatever courtship process you had? How long did you know her before marrying her?

I don't quite understand the situation with her studies. The way you describe it, it sounds like you're the only thing preventing her from failing her program. What would happen if you let her be responsible for her own studying, like most adults in academia are?

Did you marry her for the person she is, or for her earning potential as a PhD in the medical field?

More info needed...

Old 10-13-2022, 09:56 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
My wife and I are in a dilemma, She's very unhappy with her life.
Every morning we wake up and go running. I practically have to drag her out of bed to get her to
come along. Her mood becomes better as we warm up and by the end she's much happier. I try to
make it fun with interval sprints.

Afterwards I go to work and she goes to university. She's a high achiever, in her final year of her
medical sciences degree. Given her grades, she'll most likely be eligible for entry in her phD. She
also hates studying. I need to constantly be on top of her to get everything done. She hates how I
push her constantly.

I also have my own work. On top of that I have to constantly butt heads with her to make sure she
doesn't self-sabotage. She's always complaining and it honestly makes me sad with what I'm doing
with my life. I want her to be happy. I really do. But I don't think I'll want someone who's lazy to be
the mother of my children. If she's so upset about these things (she also hates cooking and cleaning
despite my mum doing most of the work) then how will she fare as a mother?

The way I see it, if she's going to be lazy it'll make me immeasurably miserable. If we stay together
and continue as is, she'll be unhappy.

If we part ways, it'll hurt her a lot. I did briefly suggest something remotely in this regards and she
broke down. I don't know what to do
I’m going to dissent from the others a little. You need to leave her alone on the running since she clearly don’t enjoy it. I don’t have any issue with making sure her degree work is done since as a couple you have an economic stake in making sure she can maximize that degree to help the house’s financial situation.

But it may sound like you have different priorities since she is resistant to domestic duties and that is something you’re concerned about. I’d go to conseuling to figure out whether this marriage has a viable future before buying a house or any other further steps. And for the love of God, don’t even THINK about getting pregnant until a final decision is made to proceed further with the marriage or not.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:01 AM

6,873 posts, read 4,877,055 times
Stop getting her up in the morning. Stop nagging her about her homework. If she's high functioning as you say she will get it done.

I assume you must be helping your mum with the cooking and cleaning because otherwise you shouldn't be expecting your wife to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships