Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 05:03 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Also, we don't know much about the morning runs. Perhaps he "wants" her in shape? Encouragement is fine, but bullying is not, though...

And how many of us "hate" cooking or cleaning? Probably a bunch.
So, mum comes handy... especially if she has time and likes to help.
Later on with both of them being successful in life, they could hire domestic help.
I don't see problem here...

He seems to be a macho type who expects his wife to do her duty on top of her study. Expecting and demanding, but not equally helping.
Do you think he would change diapers or get up at night to calm a crying baby? Something tells me, he won't. But he has a plan to have children...

This is not 1800 anymore.

Why didn't they discuss all that before getting married?

Last edited by elnina; 10-13-2022 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 06:36 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousCove View Post
I want her to be happy. I really do. But I don't think I'll want someone who's lazy to be
the mother of my children. If she's so upset about these things (she also hates cooking and cleaning
despite my mum doing most of the work) then how will she fare as a mother?
I know several have already said this, in one way or another, but you want her to be "your" kind of happy, not the way she wants to be happy. Also, you say you don't want somebody lazy to be the mother of YOUR children. They're just as much hers as they are yours. If you and HERS AND YOUR kids want to go to something, then go do it! Ask her if she wants to go. If yes, fine! If no, then, "OK, you take it easy and we'll see you when we get back". No wonder she hates to get up!

Old 10-13-2022, 08:38 PM

137 posts, read 82,281 times
Quote:
My wife and I are in a dilemma, She's very unhappy with her life.
Every morning we wake up and go running. I practically have to drag her out of bed to get her to
come along. Her mood becomes better as we warm up and by the end she's much happier. I try to
make it fun with interval sprints.

Afterwards I go to work and she goes to university. She's a high achiever, in her final year of her
medical sciences degree. Given her grades, she'll most likely be eligible for entry in her phD. She
also hates studying. I need to constantly be on top of her to get everything done. She hates how I
push her constantly.

I also have my own work. On top of that I have to constantly butt heads with her to make sure she
doesn't self-sabotage. She's always complaining and it honestly makes me sad with what I'm doing
with my life. I want her to be happy. I really do. But I don't think I'll want someone who's lazy to be
the mother of my children. If she's so upset about these things (she also hates cooking and cleaning

The way I see it, if she's going to be lazy it'll make me immeasurably miserable. If we stay together
and continue as is, she'll be unhappy.

If we part ways, it'll hurt her a lot. I did briefly suggest something remotely in this regards and she
broke down. I don't know what to do
I got absolutely zero empathy from this post to the point where I'm wondering if it should even be taken seriously.

More than likely the reason for her unhappiness is that she loves someone who treats her like a child and for whom she feels like she will never be enough.

You come off as self-absorbed and narcissistic. Or a troll.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:44 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
But I don't think I'll want someone who's lazy to be
OP, why don't you do the cooking and cleaning? I'm sure you can do just as good of a job.

Honestly, kids don't care about whether or not a home is cleaned. Anyway, it's easy enough to hire a person for a weekly or biweekly cleaning.

What happens when your wife finishes her education? Will she work full-time when pregnant and after childbirth? Do you plan to have your mother raise the children for you? Wouldn't that make your mother their primary caregiver and your wife a second fiddle? I'm not seeing an upside for your wife.

Your wife is burnt out and desperately needs a break in her studies. She may decide not to go for a PhD and that's okay!

Old 10-13-2022, 08:54 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,098,227 times
Did you marry your daughter? Or do you just enjoy being your wife’s father?

Old 10-14-2022, 09:43 AM

737 posts, read 410,988 times
I understand your concerns. Maybe she is stressed out or maybe its depression. Has she talked to a mental health professional?

Old 10-14-2022, 09:51 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
She doesn't sound lazy at all. You sound insanely controlling. If I was in the middle of all that, cooking and cleaning probably wouldn't get done either. I'm sure you are doing half the chores? Heck, I'm retired, and if I don't feel like cooking I don't. Because I'm an adult, and have that right. I get to determine when I am too tired to do something.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-14-2022, 10:33 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
My wife and I are in a dilemma, She's very unhappy with her life.
Every morning we wake up and go running. I practically have to drag her out of bed to get her to
come along. Her mood becomes better as we warm up and by the end she's much happier. I try to
make it fun with interval sprints.

Afterwards I go to work and she goes to university. She's a high achiever, in her final year of her
medical sciences degree. Given her grades, she'll most likely be eligible for entry in her phD. She
also hates studying. I need to constantly be on top of her to get everything done. She hates how I
push her constantly.

I also have my own work. On top of that I have to constantly butt heads with her to make sure she
doesn't self-sabotage. She's always complaining and it honestly makes me sad with what I'm doing
with my life. I want her to be happy. I really do. But I don't think I'll want someone who's lazy to be

The way I see it, if she's going to be lazy it'll make me immeasurably miserable. If we stay together
and continue as is, she'll be unhappy.

If we part ways, it'll hurt her a lot. I did briefly suggest something remotely in this regards and she
broke down. I don't know what to do
Sounds to me like she's tired.

She gets dragged out of bed every morning to go running. She might be happier when it's over, but maybe she would like to run at a different time?

Why do you 'have to be on top of her' about her studying? It's her future. If she pays the consequences of not studying, then she might change her mind about studying and work harder, on her own, without someone 'being on top of her' all the time. She hates that you do that. Leave her alone. It's exhausting to deal with someone always riding your backside.

She'll be a lot happier if you back off.

Dragging her out of bed in the early morning, and getting on her for studying does not show she's a lazy person. It's that she's tired of being treated like a child. Does it matter if she doesn't run all the time? Does it matter if she studies in her own way, in her own time? If she's a 'high achiever', she will get there, herself.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:01 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
If my mate said to me "I don't think I'll want someone who's lazy to be the mother of my children" when I had nearly finished a medical science degree and apparently did well enough to get into a PhD program and who believes cooking and cleaning is what makes a mother, I would be out the door.

OP do you want her to finish her degree and work in a good career or do you want her to be a SAHM. If it is the latter, why is she even going to college?

Old 10-14-2022, 12:14 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Looks like we scared off the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships