Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 07:38 AM

104 posts, read 136,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
I think that the initial post has some legitimacy. However, if this man is choosing dates among professors, physicians, scientists, etc., then I can't imagine he would find them lacking intellectually. My guess - like others have guessed - is that he's choosing women based on looks and then hoping that he finds some redeeming intellectual traits.
These are great guesses.

I have another explanation: There are more IQ points in the genius range than in any other range. There are 85 IQ points in the mentally retarded range and 30-35 points in the normal range. In the gifted range there are about 25-30 points. As for the genius range, there are 75 points in the testable IQ range or 155 points total if you include the highest estimation that has ever been done.

My guess is that most of the doctors and professors he has been dating have been intelligent, but near to IQ 130 or so. Most doctors and professors are not geniuses. If he is a genius, his IQ is probably at least 145 if not higher. I got the impression it was quite a bit higher than 145. I read here on this forum that successful relationships tend to be between two people who are only 5 IQ points apart... So, the average doctor would be too different from him.

People with an IQ above 145 are rare. You could meet twenty doctors with IQ's of 130 for every genius you'd encounter. This is where the difficulty is.

Because geniuses are rare, you can easily date 20 gifted people without ever dating genius.

If his IQ is more like 170, then only about 1 in 2000 people are even going to be anywhere near him (15 points above or below), let alone within five points!

To find someone within 5 points of IQ 170... well, he could probably date hundreds of doctors and professors and never find one like himself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post

Do you really believe these tests are acurate?
Nope. I KNOW they're not accurate - at least not at my level. They're very accurate in the normal range. That's why I asked the personal opinion of a friend who happens to be a genius level developmental psychologist, did a review of my developmental milestones, researched hallmarks of genius to see whether I had them, compared my abilities and weaknesses to those of normal people, and considered whether I qualify by any of the other definitions of genius.

I was very thorough.

Its darned tough to BELIEVE you are a genius. Have you ever tried?

I had to gather hundreds of pieces of evidence and think about it for months before it really sunk in. Lol.

Thank you for assuming that everyone who expresses their intelligence in the form of a number uses the IQ test method exclusively!

Quote:
Despite most academics claiming these test only mean one thing
That it only proves that your good at doing IQ tests
Untrue. There are tons of correlations with IQ - maladjustment, overexcitability, even creativity. Here have a random study from Harvard. It says that people with low latent inhibition (A trait that means you take in more information) tend to go crazy, unless they have high IQ's - in that case, they tend to become very creative:

Harvard Gazette: Creativity tied to mental illness

Heres another one correlating IQ with maladjustment:

The Prometheus Society > Articles > The Outsiders (http://www.prometheussociety.org/articles/Outsiders.html - broken link)

Just because academics claim something, that does not prove it.

"You do know that statistics on these tests show that all high intelligence IQ scores 155 and over were dominated by MEN to WOMEN with a ratio 5.5 to 1 BBC NEWS | UK | Education | 'Men cleverer than women' claim"

Wow really??? OMG this changes everything... There are almost three times as many as I thought! So many fish in the sea...! Hahaha! I feel like I just won the husband lottery!

*Dances in the streets*

I will sleep a little better tonight! Thanks.

Oh! By the way. I should probably take a moment to explain WHY there are more gifted men than women. Giftedness is the result of a genetic mutation. Men are more prone to getting genetic mutations because they have two different chromosomes - if one chromosome has an error there is nothing to correct it. Women get two of the same chromosome - so the extra copy tends to correct these errors.

Because men are more prone to mutations, there are also more mentally RETARDED men than women - so the equation balances out if you look at both ends of the scale. This particular article totally overlooked about half of the population, so the conclusion that men are more intelligent was false.

Silly academics, they are wrong again! No cookie for them!

Quote:
So that must mean that you truly believe that WOMEN are the weaker sex then ?
Haha no. Nice try.

Quote:
Maybe we should ban WOMEN from being Doctors,Lawyers
Professors,Politicians if your Precious IQ tests are so
accurate at determining intelligence
To assume that NO women are smart enough for those professions would be a hasty generalization - IOW illogical. The article did say that for every 2 gifted men at the IQ 125 level (that is near where a doctor or lawyer would be) that there is one woman at that level. Banning women would theoretically decrease the number of doctors and lawyers by a third, which would increase costs for you, probably would mean you'd get less medical treatment and lower quality legal services, and, ultimately, be a bad idea.

So, how do you think you will enjoy your new reputation here as a sexist?

Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
I was hoping to meet intelligent women and acted accordingly. To my surprise the ones I met, while intelligent, really were interested in other things...
*Looks at you with sympathy*

*Feels compelled to show you the following article - even though it is not what you want to hear, it sure will explain things...*

The Prometheus Society > Articles > The Outsiders (http://www.prometheussociety.org/articles/Outsiders.html - broken link)

Old 12-01-2008, 08:25 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post
*Looks at you with sympathy*

*Feels compelled to show you the following article - even though it is not what you want to hear, it sure will explain things...*

*Feels compelled to roll eyes and sigh with exasperation while reading the incessant blabber about your "high" IQ*

Old 12-01-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Falling in love is almost always based on emotion & heart - it doesn't put a lot of stock in your IQ.
Ah, sigh, I wish I had the luxury of ignoring IQ.

If I were lucky like you are (I assume your intelligence level is in the normal range) and I had an IQ that 75% of the population was near to, then I would not think about IQ either! I wouldn't have to. Everyone would ALREADY be near my intelligence level. They would ALREADY have compatible brains. There would be no occasion to notice any compatibility issue regarding intelligence! I could focus on love and not think about these things.

It is only when you are the odd one out that you have to start going "Why aren't my relationships working? What are these things that make me different? What is this difference called? How much of this difference do I have? How can I use my understanding of this difference to find others like me?" and end up analyzing it to figure out that you need someone who is in your intelligence range...

The reason you don't have to think about IQ is not because it is not important, but because IQ compatibility is already taken care of for you. Almost everyone is already compatible with you in terms of intelligence.

YOU ARE LUCKY.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
*Feels compelled to roll eyes and sigh with exasperation while reading the incessant blabber about your "high" IQ*
The post of mine that you quoted had absolutely nothing to do with my intelligence level, and did not contain any blabbering about my IQ whatsoever. I challenge you to find a single post in which I mention my IQ without it being appropriate in response to the post I was replying to.

If you are going to accuse me do it right. Until then, I assert that none of my posts were an act of "blabbering about my IQ."

I don't go into threads where you are talking about a subject I don't find interesting, then force myself to read your posts, and then complain that I have so cruelly sentenced myself to such exasperation and then begin accusing you of things. Lol.

I might as well lay under a car and accuse the driver of running me over or chain myself to a fence and wail at the injustice of my captivity!

This accusative martyrdom could be hilarious! It could make you famous!

I think you should turn it into a full time hobby. You could go to your local college and eavesdrop on some geeks there. Just when you get to the point where you can't stand it, you can barge in, throw yourself to the floor, and wail that they were boring you to the point of fatal brain hemorrhaging. I am certain that, once they recover from the shock of having been spied on without their knowledge, they will be able to set aside their annoyance at having their conversation interrupted and take a most geniuine pity on you. They will say:

"Oh you poor thing, you chose to listen to a conversation that is not interesting to you! Now you will surely die! WHAT KIND OF CRUEL WORLD IS THIS!!!"

"WHYYYYYYYYY??????????!!!!!!!!!111111" They will yell.

(They will type the 1's on their little calculator watches.)

"OH, THE HUMANITY!!!" They will surely exclaim, as you gasp your last gasps on the floor of the math class room.

Those with weak hearts will leave.

A girl or two will faint.

Then, between the overturned school desks, you will contort and howl unearthly howls, entire chess sets will fly through the air at your disturbance, whirlwinds of Dungeons and Dragons cards will blast throughout the room, until finally your body seizes up in it's final unnatural pose, your eyes roll to the back of your head, and you collapse into a crate of emergency pocket protectors.

All the geeks will gather round and hang their heads in silent prayer. Their leader will step forward to gingerly place the dice with ten sides onto each of your eyelids.

A Linux CD will be lovingly placed over your heart.

A nerdy boy with many pimples will tape your broken glasses and place them very carefully back on your contorted face.

Emo girls will cry and immortalize you in beautiful dirges.

Randall Monroe will write you a commemorative comic strip on XKCD.

Kevin Mitnick will petition to free YOU as a tribute to your martyr-like dedication to helping the human race.

Stephen Hawking himself will compose a Mr. Stewart rap, using his robot voice to tell the story.

You shall become a legend across the land!

Everyone shall hear of your heroic deeds the world over!

Last edited by She_Was_A_Phoenix; 12-01-2008 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-01-2008, 10:31 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Ah, sigh, I wish I had the luxury of ignoring IQ.

If I were lucky like you are (I assume your intelligence level is in the normal range) and I had an IQ that 75% of the population was near to, then I would not think about IQ either! I wouldn't have to. Everyone would ALREADY be near my intelligence level. They would ALREADY have compatible brains. There would be no occasion to notice any compatibility issue regarding intelligence! I could focus on love and not think about these things.

It is only when you are the odd one out that you have to start going "Why aren't my relationships working? What are these things that make me different? What is this difference called? How much of this difference do I have? How can I use my understanding of this difference to find others like me?" and end up analyzing it to figure out that you need someone who is in your intelligence range...

The reason you don't have to think about IQ is not because it is not important, but because IQ compatibility is already taken care of for you. Almost everyone is already compatible with you in terms of intelligence.

YOU ARE LUCKY.
It appears that high IQ quite often goes hand-in-hand with low EQ. I know I wouldn't want to be any near your IQ for any length of time.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:34 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Enjoy your free time as a "genius" because your IQ has NOTHING to do with the reasons you are alone.

For you to accuse me of being a martyr is amusing after reading your tales of woe...perhaps you will be the IQ martyr tied to the stake as dear Joan was...do not fret, there will be plenty of offers to ignite your stake.
Quote:
The post of mine that you quoted had absolutely nothing to do with my intelligence level, and did not contain any blabbering about my IQ whatsoever. I challenge you to find a single post in which I mention my IQ without it being appropriate in response to the post I was replying to.

If you are going to accuse me do it right. Until then, I assert that none of my posts were an act of "blabbering about my IQ."

I don't go into threads where you are talking about a subject I don't find interesting, then force myself to read your posts, and then complain that I have so cruelly sentenced myself to such exasperation and then begin accusing you of things. Lol.

I might as well lay under a car and accuse the driver of running me over or chain myself to a fence and wail at the injustice of my captivity!

This accusative martyrdom could be hilarious! It could make you famous!

I think you should turn it into a full time hobby. You could go to your local college and eavesdrop on some geeks there. Just when you get to the point where you can't stand it, you can barge in, throw yourself to the floor, and wail that they were boring you to the point of fatal brain hemorrhaging. I am certain that, once they recover from the shock of having been spied on without their knowledge, they will be able to set aside their annoyance at having their conversation interrupted and take a most geniuine pity on you. They will say:

"Oh you poor thing, you chose to listen to a conversation that is not interesting to you! Now you will surely die! WHAT KIND OF CRUEL WORLD IS THIS!!!"

"WHYYYYYYYYY??????????!!!!!!!!!111111" They will yell.

(They will type the 1's on their little calculator watches.)

"OH, THE HUMANITY!!!" They will surely exclaim, as you gasp your last gasps on the floor of the math class room.

Those with weak hearts will leave.

A girl or two will faint.

Then, between the overturned school desks, you will contort and howl unearthly howls, entire chess sets will fly through the air at your disturbance, whirlwinds of Dungeons and Dragons cards will blast throughout the room, until finally your body seizes up in it's final unnatural pose, your eyes roll to the back of your head, and you collapse into a crate of emergency pocket protectors.

All the geeks will gather round and hang their heads in silent prayer. Their leader will step forward to gingerly place the dice with ten sides onto each of your eyelids.

A Linux CD will be lovingly placed over your heart.

A nerdy boy with many pimples will tape your broken glasses and place them very carefully back on your contorted face.

Emo girls will cry and immortalize you in beautiful dirges.

Randall Monroe will write you a commemorative comic strip on XKCD.

Kevin Mitnick will petition to free YOU as a tribute to your martyr-like dedication to helping the human race.

Stephen Hawking himself will even create a Mr. Stewart rap, using his robot voice to tell your story.

You shall become a legend across the land!

Everyone shall hear of your heroic deeds the world over!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It appears that high IQ quite often goes hand-in-hand with low EQ. I know I wouldn't want to be any near your IQ for any length of time.
If I were mentally retarded and had low EQ, you would never say something so rude to me.

Do you think it makes it okay to ditch the rules of basic politeness just because I am intelligent?

Intelligent people have feelings too, you know.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:43 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Nope. I KNOW they're not accurate - at least not at my level. They're very accurate in the normal range. That's why I asked the personal opinion of a friend who happens to be a genius level developmental psychologist, did a review of my developmental milestones, researched hallmarks of genius to see whether I had them, compared my abilities and weaknesses to those of normal people, and considered whether I qualify by any of the other definitions of genius.

I was very thorough.

Its darned tough to BELIEVE you are a genius. Have you ever tried?

I had to gather hundreds of pieces of evidence and think about it for months before it really sunk in. Lol.

Thank you for assuming that everyone who expresses their intelligence in the form of a number uses the IQ test method exclusively!

Why such a desire to find out if you're a "genius" or not? Why such a need to be defined?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships