Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I don't think you can get married in two weeks. Isn't there some rule that you have to be dating for a minimum 2 years and you have to show proof that you've been dating such as photos of the two of you together, receipts showing flights for the past two years to and from the foreign country? I know someone who had to go through all of this. He literally jumped through hoops to bring his fiancee here from Ukraine. He is a surgeon and of course, she is very beautiful and young. She got here, they married and 5 years later they divorced.
No I don't think you can get married in two weeks, but I think there are some fools out there that think that.

I know my sister and her husband had to produce a lot of photos and other evidence they had been dating. I don't think they were at the 2 year mark though. Some of my friends as well, I don't think they had been dating for 2 years either.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:49 PM

283 posts, read 760,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I wouldn't let any friend do the mail order bride thing. Never. P**** for a green card? Please....

But then again I probably wouldn't be friends with anyone that would even go for that.

Should ship her back to where her and cheap toys like her came from.
You are basically buying and imported hooker. What do they expect?!
we're not best friends or anything. it's not like you can forbid a friend to do anything. if they want to do something, they will do it - how are you going to stop them?
i'm actually good friends with her and i think she's a very nice person. they are both disappointed in each other, she expected more and he expected her to be different.
exactly, you're just paying for their services.. it's not real love.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Eastern European women ... submissive??? Excuse me while I get on the floor and laugh my ass off!!! I am basically surrounded by Eastern Europeans at every competition I attend and let me tell you - they are very strong-willed and aggressive. I haven't seen one of them yet with a submissive bone in their body! My son is also dating an Eastern European gal and she's no shrinking violet!
i know, i am one neither men nor women are submissive. although russian men think that women belong in the kitchen.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think using those marriage services and trying to marry someone you don't know and can't speak the language is not too bright.

For one thing with these deals is that bringing someone into the country and getting married to them is very complicated and expensive and it's not something you do lightly. I suspect most people do not have any idea what they are getting into when they marry a foreign national. I think for my brother in law his final interview/test whatever it is, is in Feb 2009 and he married my sister in Oct 2003. I'm staggered at all the crap they have had to go through at their own expense.

There are some cases where some of these marriage agency marriages work, so I'm not about to cast judgment on those who do that route. Just that they should be very cautious about what they are doing.

I dated a lot of foreign women that came to the USA on visas to work in ski resorts and also dated while living outside the country. I think most Americans have inflated views of themselves and think everyone wants to live here. I found in all the dating I did, most foreign women were very reluctant to leave all their friends and family behind to come to the USA and start over.

I have a LOT of friends, men and women, that married foreign nationals and in all I know they all are very happy and it is working out. I think much of that is because these types of marriages require even more commitment to make it work than your average marriage.

I do know of one case we had a girl from south america that announced she was here to strictly meet and marry an American. It was kind of a parody really because it was so obvious she was loopy. She finally convinced this one guy to marry her. Supposedly there was a payoff of $10K. How the INS ever let them through in the initial interview I will never know because they were so polar opposite in everything including looks, that it was so obviously a scam. Within a few months she had drained his bank accounts and then hit him over the head with a frying pan. Eventually it cost him a bit of money but she was charged and deported and apparently can never return to the USA.

To me if you really want to have an exotic relationship or action, there are other ways of going about it or meeting people. I mean why do you have to get married in two weeks? Who would do that? I travel to Australia and NZ alot and there are many places to avoid, but a few certain towns, cities, where backpackers congregate and you can easily meet single people from all over the world. And if you do meet people, after you have parted ways you can stay in touch via email or facebook and take it from there. If the conversation peters out via email, then it probably would never work anyways. I like to travel so I like likeminded women that don't mind exploring or getting their hands dirty or have to have their dinners paid for.
yeah i have nothing against multi national marriages at all. i'm in one. its just that when men specifically purchase a girl from a poor country believing that they are getting true love which i have a problem with, because the men are getting ripped off. nothing wrong with dating women and men from different countries if you happen to meet them! i'm in Australia and its full of tourists and people from different countries and its impossible to avoid them. but to "rescue" a girl from a 3rd world country and expect it to be something more than a business deal is unrealistic.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Oh yeah no question. Russian and other slavic women are pretty tough cookies. A lot of them might be beautiful, but as you say they are not shrinking violets.

I don't know who came up with the idea foreign women are submissive. They might use that word because they don't have a lot of hang ups about sex or pay the control card like american women do over sex, but they sure as hell are not submissive.

Any american guy that thinks he's going to get a Russian gal and she is going to be a slave, he's toast.

I know in the Philippines for instance, it is a matriarch oriented society that men are submissive to women. All the women I've seen from there are hell on wheels. I'd never marry a Filipino.

I have found in my world of travels cultures vary quite a lot everywhere so it's wise to know as much as possible if fiddling in foreign relations.
yep the friend i was talking about married a Filipina girl i think she's much harder on him than most western women would be!

Old 12-27-2008, 06:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrals View Post
we're not best friends or anything. it's not like you can forbid a friend to do anything. if they want to do something, they will do it - how are you going to stop them?
i'm actually good friends with her and i think she's a very nice person. they are both disappointed in each other, she expected more and he expected her to be different.
exactly, you're just paying for their services.. it's not real love.
Words are powerful tools when people go to make stupid decisions.
I guess what I say to people I know matters more than just casual conversation because I bring up the doubts they are already having with a heavy slathering of simple logic. That usually stops anyone from doing something like that.

Many people marry for reasons other than love. But this is just strait up hooker-ism. Honestly I would probably cut that person off because they are too lazy to get a real relationship going and I am sure they are lacking in other areas that wouldn't be kosher with me.

They are buying someones baby!
Would they want their baby to be bought and sold like a sack of meat...

I am really disgusted with anyone that does this.

I guess you cant rent a hooker in the USA...just buy them from overseas like all our other cheap crap.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:00 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Based on the two people I know who chased mail order brides and many others I see, it's about losers that can't get a decent date wanting to have sex with some young hottie. It's, literally, buying a prostitute/maid. Love has nothing to do with it.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Words are powerful tools when people go to make stupid decisions.
I guess what I say to people I know matters more than just casual conversation because I bring up the doubts they are already having with a heavy slathering of simple logic. That usually stops anyone from doing something like that.

Many people marry for reasons other than love. But this is just strait up hooker-ism. Honestly I would probably cut that person off because they are too lazy to get a real relationship going and I am sure they are lacking in other areas that wouldn't be kosher with me.

They are buying someones baby!
Would they want their baby to be bought and sold like a sack of meat...

I am really disgusted with anyone that does this.

I guess you cant rent a hooker in the USA...just buy them from overseas like all our other cheap crap.
you'd be surprised at how normal and seemingly well adjusted the people are that do that. i wouldn't cut him off, it's his personal life and preference as to what kind of relationship he wants and i'm not going to judge that. after all, my parents and some friends don't always approve of my partner either and i'm not going to stop being with him just because they think i shouldn't be. i think that those transactions do work for both parties because the girl gets to get out of the country and the guy gets a paid girlfriend, i just wish both parties realised that's what's happening though.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Based on the two people I know who chased mail order brides and many others I see, it's about losers that can't get a decent date wanting to have sex with some young hottie. It's, literally, buying a prostitute/maid. Love has nothing to do with it.
this person i know is definitely not a looser. he's in his late 20s, decent looking and has a great job - and i know at least 3 attractive girls would love to date him. he's a really nice guy. he just doesn't have much confidence when it comes to women, so he took the easy road. i think most of them are probably not great socially and dont know how to approach women?

Old 12-27-2008, 07:12 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
You can't blame someone who is desparate and lonely for trying everything they can to not be alone. Mail order brides might not be the most idea way to get married but it seems to me most of those guys are someone no one wants to date, let alone marry. (I'm sure I can count on JeffJarrett to break out the infamous photo) How many of us women said "No" no matter how much money he had? Is the poor guy suppose to go through life alone?

Of course most of the women are simply trying to come to America. For alot of them, being married to a guy we (American women) find objectionable is preferable to the life they would lead if they stayed in their home country.

btw, you can get married within two weeks of meeting but she can't get a green card for at least two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships