Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
IMHO
42 million divorces later since 1975, 75% were involuntary for the guy (she filed).
Not so fast. I filed...but HE is the one that wanted the divorce. I filed because HE couldn't afford to. So cut that "involuntary" nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 03:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not so fast. I filed...but HE is the one that wanted the divorce. I filed because HE couldn't afford to. So cut that "involuntary" nonsense.
I'm sick of arguing this tired repetitive lament. Who files is no indication at all of who drives whom up the wall. Women file more often because men wouldn't mind keeping the status quo of driving them up the wall, but it's no longer possible in most cases.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:39 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
If somebody wants to get married, I don't believe shacking up is the best path to the altar.
Agreed.

I thought one of my sisters took the wrong tack by moving in with this one guy several years ago. Got to the point she did all the housekeeping, laundry, cooking, managing finances, paying a lot of the bills, caring for the dog, etc.

After a few years the marriage question started coming up including outside relatives starting to query. Finally it came to a head earlier this year and he refused to discuss it and she left. After a few months he said he couldn't live without her and agreed to marriage and asked her. So now they are getting married. He has a history of infidelity as well.

I think mostly what he missed was all the free bills paid for and house cleaning. I'm not confident it's going to work out, but maybe he's "changed".

Of course I raised a few objections about this to her over the holidays, but I was bundled and taped up and put in the closet where I am now writing this. Hopefully someone will find me soon.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
After a few years the marriage question started coming up including outside relatives starting to query. Finally it came to a head earlier this year and he refused to discuss it and she left. After a few months he said he couldn't live without her and agreed to marriage and asked her. So now they are getting married.
I'd never accept it after this number.

Quote:
He has a history of infidelity as well.

I think mostly what he missed was all the free bills paid for and house cleaning. I'm not confident it's going to work out, but maybe he's "changed".
Right...

Old 12-29-2008, 03:51 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,973 times
No sh*t that pushing a man (who shows NO indication to work on anything towards a marriage) to marry you is not a good move.

I know a couple who have been together for almost... 10 years, I think (they have lived together for 7 plus years to this day). It's beyond OBVIOUS that the woman wants to marry him, but the guy just keeps saying... well.. .how do I put it... oh, here you go:

"If it ain't broke, why fix it?" Meaning, if things between them are good now, why change anything?

This woman tries to act cool about being unmarried but living together with him, but every time all four of us hang out, she would come out with such comment like this:

"We are so happy like Kurt and Goldie (Hawn).... happily unmarried, but seriously, I don't see why we should stay unmarried.... you can just buy me a white sapphire..."

God, talk about desperation!!!!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post
"We are so happy like Kurt and Goldie (Hawn).... happily unmarried, but seriously, I don't see why we should stay unmarried.... you can just buy me a white sapphire..."

God, talk about desperation!!!!
Precisely. I'm not saying it's not an OK option if it really works for BOTH of them, but I think that's rarely the case...

Old 12-29-2008, 04:09 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
I'd never accept it after this number.

Right...
Gets even better. The excuse for his infidelity(not with my sister but with other women) is he had a written list of a 100 things he wanted in a woman and one woman had some of the qualities and the other woman had the rest of the qualities, so if he slept with both he had one whole woman.

Yep that is what he said. Sounds logical to me

Old 12-29-2008, 04:12 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindblownHair View Post
Exactly. Why buy the cow when the milk is free?
Or, why buy the whole pig when all I want is a little sausage???!!!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Gets even better. The excuse for his infidelity(not with my sister but with other women) is he had a written list of a 100 things he wanted in a woman and one woman had some of the qualities and the other woman had the rest of the qualities, so if he slept with both he had one whole woman.
I'm sorry to say this, but is your sister out of her friggin' mind?! What is he like - Adonis & Einstein & Rockefeller all rolled into one?!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:18 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to say this, but is your sister out of her friggin' mind?! What is he like - Adonis & Einstein & Rockefeller all rolled into one?!
No, that would be me ... only in a female version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships