Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 PM

52,306 posts, read 52,756,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Yea, that's definitely a challenge, and I've had a few guys get scared off by that.
I suppose in thinking about it, if I were "ready" to commit to a relationship and the woman had children I think I'd be ok with it.

I guess I'd be more concerned about having to deal with the ex more so than dealing with the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,202,868 times
Wow, as I don't mingle with such crowds, I'm really surprised to hear all that. Haven't people heard of protection and abortion in this neck of the woods...?!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:25 PM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I think you're right about it being a major step for young guys. Many of them aren't emotionally or financially mature to care for a kid yet. It's no big deal; you can't expect a guy in his early 20s to suddenly take on a kid if he's not ready.
Hmmm....thats an excellent comment. When I was last available around age 24 I would have had a hard time with single moms. After I had been married with kids a while...no problem.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 PM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I suppose in thinking about it, if I were "ready" to commit to a relationship and the woman had children I think I'd be ok with it.

I guess I'd be more concerned about having to deal with the ex more so than dealing with the kids.
LOL....hey just look for the single women where the dad is either dead or a complete deadbeat...sadly, there are tons.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:20 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,060,680 times
WOW! I was a young single mom. I did marry what I thought was my high school sweetheart and it turned out to be a living nightmare! When I left, I made a point not to depend on anyone else for help financially and the guys that I did date for the duration of my single 4 years, I made a point to announce up front that I was not looking for anything serious, nor was I looking for a handout. I never introduced any of those men to my daughter so it was never an issue.
I think that the scenerio of dating a single mom all depends on what the guy is looking for and the woman for that matter. Again, when I was dating I wanted nothing serious. When I was ready to get serious, my plan changed. I had guys tell me that they would not date a single mom (during the time that I decided to start being serious about dating men) and that was fine. I would rather people be honest and upfront from the beginning than lie and then walk away.
But the reason I say all of this is because not all single moms are looking for a fill-in dad. During the time that I was a single mom, for four years of that time, I was simply looking for someone that I could hang out with occasionally, have fun with and have sex with every now and again. No strings attached. I was not looking for a 'baby daddy' and I did not have the time or the energy to put into a full time relationship. Everyone's motives are different and if a single mom is not your thing then that's fine, but understand that not all single moms are looking to be swept up and not all single moms are looking at the guys that they are dating as potential fathers.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 PM

900 posts, read 1,703,131 times
for the OP, would you rather date a woman in her 30s who can pass for late 20s with no kids, or someone closer to your age with a kid or two? Question for anyone really, just curious. (assuming similar looks, personality, intelligence etc.)

Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,860,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Too many single moms, to much unprotected sex.
Yes, but how does one catch Mr. Right now days? (or for the past 35 years, for that matter)

Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
I could be wrong

but for every single mom out there, isn't there a single dad out there
You are wrong. For every 5 single moms, there is one "single dad".

Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
its natures way of saying back away.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
There are a ridiculous number of unmarried mothers in their mid-20's these days.
Just like young men (boys actually) who think they will live forever, and take crazy risks, most young women think they will be "hot" forever. All that attention when they are 18, 19 and 20 has them believing it will never end. They want to get the best from the gene pool for their progeny and believe that if he doesn't work out, there are always the 10 they turned down, waiting for their chance. Many then decide to be more discriminating the second time out, holding out for the the stud who also has a job! "My next husband will be just like my last" I overheard one say "but he'll have money this time!" The murmurs of agreement, among here coworker/peers, spoke volumes.

Eventually they will settle for the money but this only goes to a few lucky ones. Sort of like the one criminal who takes the deal from the police for a reduced sentence. Do it soon and do it first since the opportunity is fleeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships