Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times

Advertisements

Do you guys get involved with people with a crazy family background? Problem with parents, crazy sisters , brothers etc etc.

I recently met a girl who had a family background like this and backed off big time and will probably call it off.

This is a huge red flag for me because I've been with a girl in this situation and it went horrible.

Do you guys think alike or do you usually stick it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Do you guys think alike or do you usually stick it out?
A family with a lot of drama, especially too many divorces, is a red flag. Another big problem would be finding out about sexual abuse...or any other type of abuse. Alcohol is more of an annoyance, but the daughters of alcoholics can play weird passive-aggressive games, and I avoid them.

We were very loud...at the breakfast table, the dinner table, or on the phone. People might interpret that to sound like anger issues and ask why we raise our voices.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,286 times
It will depend on the degree of "crazy". A lot of people have dysfunctional family memberse and if you excluded them, you'd limit your dating pool. It really depends

Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,656 times
Why would it be a red flag if somebody comes from a family with a lot of divorces? It's not exactly their choice if they were born into that family, they could probably be the most well rounded compared to their thug cousins, 2-3x divorced aunts/uncles, divorced grandparents and such.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:22 PM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Red flag for me!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
First things first, nobody has a perfect family. Mine is pretty damned awesome, but they have their drama, too, and I'd be lying if I said they didn't. They are very supportive, but they're not perfect.

That said, my SO of the past five years has a family that could kindly be described as challenging. Tons of dysfunction, thankfully nothing along the lines of the illegal...but his upbringing has caused some damage, set the stage for things that still very much affect his life. When I met him, he was estranged from his father...they've since reconciled, but it's not the healthiest relationship. Family can cause fallout that seriously impacts people and their adult relationships, even years later.

I'm not going to sugar coat it. Family relationships set the stage for how one handles things in other relationships in their lives. If you are with somebody whose primary familial relationship are unhealthy and negative, building a strong relationship could be an uphill battle...there's a lot of dysfunction, a lot of disordered thinking, and, in the end, as the partner who hasn't been around for all the family dynamics, you will always be something of an outsider, in many cases. My saving grace is that we have a healthy geographic distance between where we are, and where his family is...and it's a good thing. Were they local to us, it's hard to say how things would have played out.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 PM

900 posts, read 1,701,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Why would it be a red flag if somebody comes from a family with a lot of divorces? It's not exactly their choice if they were born into that family, they could probably be the most well rounded compared to their thug cousins, 2-3x divorced aunts/uncles, divorced grandparents and such.
Sometimes people do act opposite of "bad" examples they see in thier family. To a certain extent , everyone has a "crazy" family. My 1st boyfriend had the sweetest family ever and he was quite a bit off. So they aren't always the same as the family.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not going to sugar coat it. Family relationships set the stage for how one handles things in other relationships in their lives. If you are with somebody whose primary familial relationship are unhealthy and negative, building a strong relationship could be an uphill battle...there's a lot of dysfunction, a lot of disordered thinking, and, in the end, as the partner who hasn't been around for all the family dynamics, you will always be something of an outsider, in many cases.
It wouldn't be an uphill battle if the person had enough sense to get away from all of it, and it would be a good thing to refrain from inflicting it on the partner.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 PM

733 posts, read 1,663,418 times
I think you made the right choice.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
It wouldn't be an uphill battle if the person had enough sense to get away from all of it, and it would be a good thing to refrain from inflicting it on the partner.
We're over a thousand miles away and have very limited contact, and there's still fallout. There would be if he never had any contact with any of them. You can't erase the past, and how it shapes who you are. The most you can do is address it. The damage inflicted upon him for years at the hands of relatives is a done deal, and it affects many facets of his life. Just because you get away from it doesn't mean it leaves you. Just my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships