Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 12:27 PM

20,742 posts, read 19,442,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Destroy all water sources, so she will have to go fetch water in a pot from a well 4 miles away

I
Studies have shown Beer, P and Pollute method to be best at closing thin-husband/fat-wife gap in female water fetching, grain based, agrarian societies. This works especially well the further above sea level. Alpine areas show reaching equilibrium within weeks, or in your area of the world, there is great news from Nepal.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:35 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,811,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Studies have shown Beer, P and Pollute method to be best at closing thin-husband/fat-wife gap in Women-Must-Fetch-Water,grain based, agrarian societies. This works especially well the further above sea level. Alpine areas show reaching equilibrium within weeks, or in your area of the world, there is great news from Nepal.
LMAO yes. My grandmother was thin like a stick till her death. Wait, both my grandmothers

An era of no washing machine and no fast foods, and always fetch water from the home well in the back of the house They must have had incredible arms and muscle tone with all that rope pulling exercise at the well. LOL.

And they didn't go to the gym ever. So it could be that the invention of tv and the la-Z-boy recliner is the real culprit-in-chief, aided by technological advances. Reduced physical activity all over, and a gym membership costs money and special dedication time (one actually has to leave the house, put on shoes and start the car for it, and it's a huge timing issue)

It's simply the times we have come to live in. Eating processed food versus eating food one cooks from the scratch, the very cooking can be an exercise, and food made at that instant is always the best food.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 PM

37,805 posts, read 46,315,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Why are you referring to women? Are you implying that because I'm a man I don't know how to clean a home? I thought we were in 2011. I'm a bit of clean nut. My mother raised her boys to help around the house and she made us clean things that didn't need cleaning at all. She also had a commercial cleaning business and she regularly brought us along to help for a dollar an hour. My place is considerably cleaner than most homes I visit. I know american men are not known for participating a lot to housework, but in french-canada, where I live, it's pretty common so I'll blame your assumptions on your perception.
I used the term "women" because I generally don't discuss housework with men. I stand by my earlier point. Your idea of clean differs from mine.

Quote:
Cooking for a 100 people takes no more time than cooking for one person. My brother, a haute cuisine chef keeps repeating that. How is a meal that takes an hour to cook a 'quick meal'? My GF keeps no processed food and every meal we eat are elaborate meals.
Keeping teenagers fed is like feeding food into a garbage disposal. Meal preparation is absolutely more time consuming.

Quote:
I didn't know filling a lunchbox for school/work was worth mentionning in a day. You may want to include the times you have to go to the bathroom to prove that your life is hard, while yoU,re at it.
Now you are showing us the kind of person you are. Thanks for that. "Filling a lunchbox" is not exactly what I do. The only thing that is NOT homemade, in my son's lunches, is the fruit. Those are details that I didn't feel needed to be stated, but I am now, just so you can understand. School lunches take up a considerable amount of my meal-prep time, in a week.

Quote:
I'd like to see what receipe you make that takes over an hour to PREPARE.
The very last "big" meal I made, for one. Shepherd's pie. Frankly I am floored that anyone that suggests that they enjoy cooking, finds it difficult to spend over an hour cooking a meal. Really. And we haven't even discussed baking...yeesh.

Quote:
The dishwasher cleans the dishes. And before we had one, I did it. Sure pots and pans are a pain, but 30 minutes? Really?
Yes. Really. Cleaning the dishes, and the sink and stove area and putting away everything...you better believe it.

Quote:
Are you doing this all on your own? Does your husband help? What about the kids? Do they help as well or are you on your own?
I am on my own, with an 18 year old son that has lots of friends that love to come over. I enjoy their company, and I enjoy cooking for them as well. I gripe about it, but I do enjoy it. My son helps out where he can.

Quote:
if you go in most household, what takes up most time during the evenings is the TV and the couches.
I absolutely agree with that. I never stated otherwise. That is not the case in my house. I don't even have cable tv - we just don't spend enough time watching it.

Quote:
People like to complain they are too busy but when you look at their routine, it,s not that bad. Of course, like I said...if you get no help, it's different, and unfair.
I'm not complaining. That wasn't the point of my post.

Quote:
But assuming you do get help, housework is usually not a good excuse for people who say they have no time to work out. Look, I went to the gym at 10 PM last night and came back at midnight. I was up until 3AM doing laundry and rocking the baby back to sleep. I have an hour long commute and I was still at my office at 9 this morning. You can see why excuses from people who don,t want to move around do not impress me.
You have ONE baby. I hardly think that compares to some of the other posters. That was basically the point I was trying to make.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:41 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,580,574 times
Hmmm...then another friend of mine, Lynn, was doing her residency (before the 80 hour work week rule), had TWO kids under the age of 8, a working husband, a house to run, and she ran 5 miles every day. Because it was important to her. Amazing lady.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Chess, does this mean you removed the Jane Fonda workout from your birthday list? I'm going to have to take this back.
Ha! I actually laughed when I read his post. Aerobics DVD.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:44 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,580,574 times
This thread (and reminiscing about my accomplished pals) is making me feel like a total lazy lout.

Off to the grocery store to buy dinner ingredients (as always, wholesome and homemade) and then I'm gonna work out for the rest of the afternoon (after cleaning the house some more).

Old 04-21-2011, 01:07 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,301,462 times
Quote:
Why are you referring to women? Are you implying that because I'm a man I don't know how to clean a home? I thought we were in 2011. I'm a bit of clean nut. My mother raised her boys to help around the house and she made us clean things that didn't need cleaning at all. She also had a commercial cleaning business and she regularly brought us along to help for a dollar an hour. My place is considerably cleaner than most homes I visit. I know american men are not known for participating a lot to housework, but in french-canada, where I live, it's pretty common so I'll blame your assumptions on your perception.

Cooking for a 100 people takes no more time than cooking for one person. My brother, a haute cuisine chef keeps repeating that. How is a meal that takes an hour to cook a 'quick meal'? My GF keeps no processed food and every meal we eat are elaborate meals.

I make breakfast as well because I like carving fruits and making nice presentations. I can make a great vedgetable egg soufflé in record time. The only breakfast that will take maybe 15 minutes are egg benedicts because I make my own hollandaise. That's not even a chore. Eating is necessary and cooking is fun. It allows me to talk to her 10 year old while we try to imagine new ways to build our plates each morning. I didn't know filling a lunchbox for school/work was worth mentionning in a day. You may want to include the times you have to go to the bathroom to prove that your life is hard, while yoU,re at it.

This argument might work if I was clueless about food, but I'm not. Cooking time may take a long time, even overnight, but most meals can be made under an hour. I know how to cook and my GF is an excellent cook as well. I'd like to see what receipe you make that takes over an hour to PREPARE.

The dishwasher cleans the dishes. And before we had one, I did it. Sure pots and pans are a pain, but 30 minutes? Really? It probably looks longer than it takes. Of course, it helps that we help each others. Are you doing this all on your own? Does your husband help? What about the kids? Do they help as well or are you on your own?

You are no less presumptuous when you assume I must have it easier than you do. You can dislike my attitude if you like, but it doesn't change the fact that if you go in most household, what takes up most time during the evenings is the TV and the couches.

People like to complain they are too busy but when you look at their routine, it,s not that bad. Of course, like I said...if you get no help, it's different, and unfair. Even when I had mononucleosis, I used the few hours I was awake to help around.

But assuming you do get help, housework is usually not a good excuse for people who say they have no time to work out. Look, I went to the gym at 10 PM last night and came back at midnight. I was up until 3AM doing laundry and rocking the baby back to sleep. I have an hour long commute and I was still at my office at 9 this morning. You can see why excuses from people who don,t want to move around do not impress me.
Can't rep you, but yeah, what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Off to the grocery store to buy dinner ingredients (as always, wholesome and homemade) and then I'm gonna work out for the rest of the afternoon (after cleaning the house some more)
There you go .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My son does his laundry, keeps his room clean,cleans his own bathroom, occasionally vacuums the house, takes out the trash, and cuts the grass, when he is here. He works about 20 hours a week, and also spends a considerable amount of time on keeping up his 4.3 GPA. Could he do more around the house? Sure he could. But he's a teenager, and when you are the parent of one, then we can talk.

As far as the 30 minute aerobics DVD , you clearly know nothing about me.
I was a teenager too and was able to get good grades, participate in school sports, work, do my assigned house chores with my siblings, and contribute to basic expenses as well (milk, eggs, a bill here and there, etc.) in a family of 5. My parents are not even pay for my college education. Same thing when I went to college in Japan. They could have sent me money but I rather work. Was a waiter, worked in a factory, and later started teaching languages...Oh, and I had time to keep the house I was renting clean...and exercise .

So even 30 minutes of aerobics is too difficult? Didn't get your last line.

Last edited by onihC; 04-21-2011 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I was a teenager too and was able to get good grades, participate in school sports, work, do my assigned house chores with my siblings, and contribute to basic expenses as well (milk, eggs, a bill here and there, etc.). My parents are not even pay for my college education. Family of 5.

So even 30 minutes of aerobics is too difficult?
Just reading your response was a waste of my time. I have work to do in the yard. You have fun.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:27 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,811,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
They say they don’t even have at least 30 minutes a day for themselves while you see them in the forum for more than a couple of hours.
LMBO!!!!!!!!! You are absolutely wrong for this comment!! Too funny.

I believe we as a people are lazy. Men and women will give excuse after excuse why they don't workout. It's as simply as walking to your local corner store. We don't want to exercise, but we wanna be thinner.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:43 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,128,600 times
Quote:
I already said I do that to. Just because I'm a man doesn't mean I don't know how to do laundry. Most of my clothes I hang to dry as well. What's your point?

My POINT was addressing the fact that it does not take 30 seconds as you claim to change the laundry over.

You are reading way too much into things. I'm not attacking the way you do laundry or claiming only I know how to do it...just stating that by the time I get my booty upstairs, sort out the wet clothes and hang the stuff that needs hanging it's not 30 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships