Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 10:28 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Not vote?! Oh, come on. Democracy is supposed to be about all of us. Your brother-in-law sounds like a pill, though.
It was a joke. But watch some shrill, self-important poster throw a hissy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,736,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It was a joke.
Is that what that whooshing sound was overhead?

Old 06-09-2009, 01:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,692,869 times
Quote:
Perhaps if you answered my earlier questions about what the point is for a childless woman to stay home, I would understand. As a mother of three, I know that when the children are away at grandma's, the house stays blissfully clean. Laundry is minimal. Cooking is a snap. I don't understand why she should stay home, if she makes enough money to pay for a maid. A maid for a childless couple could come once a week for less than $100, and working even part-time would cover that and leave money left over. The money doesn't have to be about shoes and vacations ... that job could pay for health benefits or just socking money away for retirement, or the couple could use the money for charitable purposes.

This is what I am asking you to explain to me. I don't believe that a stay-at-home-wife is subjugated; my own mother stays at home. I also don't believe that wanting to make money to lead a comfortable life is celebrating materialism or that there's anything wrong with people who want to see the world or have nicer things. You seem to think a woman's working will sacrifice something important, so please tell me what that is. Am I underestimating the amount of housework that needs to be done? Do you live somewhere that requires a lot of daily labor? Do working women take jobs away from men who need to support their families? I'm just asking.
If the money you earn covers your maid, your cook, and the gas and wear and tear expenses on having your own vehicle to get back and forth with, doesn't that make your job pointless? I've seen couples come in to do their taxes done where both partners work and they have kids. But the childcare expense is more than one partner made all year! Thus, it COST them money to have both spouses work in that case.

I'd bet I could find dirt in your house--all I'm saying. Taking care of a house is a full time gig.

In terms of my job, by the way, I've never met a woman that can handle the job I do...pick up air compressors by herself and put them on a shelf. Pick up cabinets by herself, carry 5 gallon buckets of paint up a ladder, etc.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If the money you earn covers your maid, your cook, and the gas and wear and tear expenses on having your own vehicle to get back and forth with, doesn't that make your job pointless? I've seen couples come in to do their taxes done where both partners work and they have kids. But the childcare expense is more than one partner made all year! Thus, it COST them money to have both spouses work in that case.

I'd bet I could find dirt in your house--all I'm saying. Taking care of a house is a full time gig.

In terms of my job, by the way, I've never met a woman that can handle the job I do...pick up air compressors by herself and put them on a shelf. Pick up cabinets by herself, carry 5 gallon buckets of paint up a ladder, etc.
First of all, we're talking about DINKs--dual income, no kids. Childcare is therefore moot.

Secondly, my paycheck more than pays for those things. Some women on this board are lawyers, who can make hundreds of dollars an hour. I believe one lady is or was an engineer, making over $100K a year.

Thirdly, the reason you will find dirt in my house is because I have children. I already said that the house stays tidy when they are gone. Keeping an empty house clean is not a full-time job for most women by a long shot.

And lastly, I don't know what lugging paint cans around has to do with anything. I'm a technical writer. I don't meet a lot of anyone who can do what I do.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
First of all, we're talking about DINKs--dual income, no kids. Childcare is therefore moot.

Secondly, my paycheck more than pays for those things. Some women on this board are lawyers, who can make hundreds of dollars an hour. I believe one lady is or was an engineer, making over $100K a year.

Thirdly, the reason you will find dirt in my house is because I have children. I already said that the house stays tidy when they are gone. Keeping an empty house clean is not a full-time job for most women by a long shot.

And lastly, I don't know what lugging paint cans around has to do with anything. I'm a technical writer. I don't meet a lot of anyone who can do what I do.
Yes, but can you write technical manuals on lugging paint? Now THAT takes some serious wordsmithing.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:32 PM

I realize that, so I didn't mention childcare in my first sentence. I did in the second to point out a situation where expenses were more than one person's income, rendering their income pointless, since it would actually be less expensive, in the long run, for one partner NOT to have a job.

And you know what? IF the woman can make more than the man, then let HIM be the one to stay home and take care of the house, the cooking, the shopping--if he can handle all that. I sometimes wonder what parents are teaching their daughters these days. Both my sisters know how to sew, and both were taught how to cook.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Do working women take jobs away from men who need to support their families? I'm just asking.
This question of yours: Um, women are not successful in my line of work. They can't handle it by themselves, they require help. We don't usually work in pairs, getting more done if each person has their own area of responsibility.

You might be a technical writer, and that's fine. Tell us the technical method of picking up a 150# air compressor off a pallet and putting it on the shelf.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes, but can you write technical manuals on lugging paint? Now THAT takes some serious wordsmithing.
Yes, but I admit I cannot write technical manuals WHILE lugging paint.

Quote:
I realize that, so I didn't mention childcare in my first sentence. I did in the second to point out a situation where expenses were more than one person's income, rendering their income pointless, since it would actually be less expensive, in the long run, for one partner NOT to have a job.
I agree with you. I do think sometimes the stay-at-home-spouse might just want to get out of the house or feel more challenged, and I think those feelings are valid. In any case, a couple should carefully consider all the advantages and disadvantages. Like you said, working outside the house has many costs, some of which are hidden.

Quote:
And you know what? IF the woman can make more than the man, then let HIM be the one to stay home and take care of the house, the cooking, the shopping--if he can handle all that. I sometimes wonder what parents are teaching their daughters these days. Both my sisters know how to sew, and both were taught how to cook.
I'm still fuzzy on why either one of them should stay home, but I can see the merit in doing things like baking bread from scratch, preparing homemade soup stocks and other tasks that take a long time. I enjoy cooking and would do quite a bit more if I could. (Of course, that would also cost money.) I would also enjoy more time to garden.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:11 PM

Landlords require a cleaning deposit, because no one cleans their home adequately. How often, for example, would you dust your fan blades, if you have ceiling fans?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 PM

I don't understand where this thread is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships