Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 PM

11,180 posts, read 16,073,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The DINKs I know do have the money for vacations and clothes and stuff.
Yes, that is one of the advantages. Being able to take off at the drop of a hat and not worry about school schedules and such. I've surprised my wife with a weekend trip to London for Valentine's Day, another weekend trip to Paris, and a birthday trip to Nice & Monaco. We also took the entire month of January off from work earlier this year for a 30-day cruise to Tahiti, Bora Bora & Hawaii. In fact, we've pretty much traveled all over the world over the past 20 years. Since we don't have kids, the only thing that has constrained us has been the amount of time we can take off from work. That is why I am so looking forward to retirement in the not-too-distant future, when we can travel to our heart's content.

Nope. No regrets here. I have a wonderful wife whom I love and who loves me. I couldn't be happier with my life (unless I was eligible to retire tomorrow!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:19 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,750,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, that is one of the advantages. Being able to take off at the drop of a hat and not worry about school schedules and such. I've surprised my wife with a weekend trip to London for Valentine's Day, another weekend trip to Paris, and a birthday trip to Nice & Monaco. We also took the entire month of January off from work earlier this year for a 30-day cruise to Tahiti, Bora Bora & Hawaii. In fact, we've pretty much traveled all over the world over the past 20 years. Since we don't have kids, the only thing that has constrained us has been the amount of time we can take off from work. That is why I am so looking forward to retirement in the not-too-distant future, when we can travel to our heart's content.

Nope. No regrets here. I have a wonderful wife whom I love and who loves me. I couldn't be happier with my life (unless I was eligible to retire tomorrow!).
Um, don't you have to arrange it so you can both take vacations at the same time? Whereas if only one person worked, the other person would be available anytime?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:36 PM

11,180 posts, read 16,073,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Um, don't you have to arrange it so you can both take vacations at the same time? Whereas if only one person worked, the other person would be available anytime?
Fortunately, that hasn't been an issue. I am in charge of my own program so I can pretty much take time off whenever I want. My wife's employment has been more structured and she doesn't get near the amount of paid vacation time that I do; however, she can take as much unpaid time off as she wants. For example, when we took the month of January off (5 weeks actually), she took one week vacation and a 4 week unpaid leave of absence. That's another advantage of being DINKs. Although we have a double income stream, only one is necessary.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,441,692 times
Dinks! Research shows that, statistically speaking, they are the happiest of family constellations.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:05 AM

26,295 posts, read 49,223,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, that is one of the advantages. Being able to take off at the drop of a hat and not worry about school schedules and such. .... I couldn't be happier with my life (unless I was eligible to retire tomorrow!).
Ditto. We were able to avoid the summer throngs and take vacations and such when school was in-session. We had the roads and resorts to ourselves, and often just after Labor Day the rates went down but the weather was still fine, especially the Mid-Atlantic coastal areas. The Florida Keys in mid-November was also a great time to visit, great weather, no high-season rates, and no spring break crap.

On a more day-to-day level, we could catch movies right after work, get matinee prices, avoid rush hour traffic, eat a decent meal and drive home after the worst of DC/Fairfax County traffic abated. We went out to eat or shop on weeknights and stayed home or did other things on weekends. On the other side of the coin, the vast majority of people with children were locked in to daycare and/or school schedules, had to run home asap, and had to do most things like shopping, movies, or dining out on weekends. While it seems the whole world goes to the movies on Saturday nights, we were off doing something else, or nothing at all, never fighting the crowds.

Being DINKS isn't for everyone. Those who sincerely DO want children should pursue it with all due vigor, but those who aren't sure should wait until they are sure. Never force the issue by having a child just to see what it's like, or because all the friends are having kids, or because the elder generation wants to be grandparents. People have to live their OWN lives and not be swayed by anything other than their own well thought out wishes and a solid understanding of the lifetime commitment required to be good parents; commitments to financial, time, emotional and legal ties that bind.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:45 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,206,489 times
It sounds like a pretty nice situation to me. I think it is a likely result for myself, assuming I do marry at all, though I'm not totally foreclosed to the idea of children at some unspecified date in the distant future =P. Though, to be honest, I'd have no trouble marrying a woman who knew she didn't want kids, but I WOULD have trouble marrying someone who *definitely* wanted kids, so I guess that suggests my true feelings on the subject. I keep an open mind though, because I know my mind may well change as I age some .

One thing that gives me pause is that life changes. It won't always be the way it is right now. Sure, in your late 20s, being single and childless is perfectly fine. But I can see that as you age, it may begin to become a lonely proposition. As everyone around you marries off, and has kids, and then your parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles pass away, it could become lonely indeed - especially around holidays and so forth. And then I look at my grandmothers. In the twilight of their life, their family is their joy. Despite their infirmities and age, they love to spend time with their children and their grandchildren. Really, at their advanced age, that's mostly all they have.

Not a reason to have kids, certainly, just some thoughts .

Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,798,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Dinks! Research shows that, statistically speaking, they are the happiest of family constellations.
That's debatable. From what I've read, childless couples have a higher rate of divorce. Disagreeing about whether to have children is a pretty big deal-breaker. This is not to say that DINKs secretly want children or that they can't be happy, because that's obviously untrue, but it is debatable whether they are happier. It depends on how you measure happiness, I guess, and that's not easy.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Just to point something out--a couple where only one person worked would not, by definition, be DINKs.

I can see the appeal of wanting one parent to stay at home with the children, but I don't really see the benefit of staying home when there aren't any kids in the house. My housework would be minimal if we didn't have children. Sure, volunteering and having a lot of social events would be fun and fulfilling, but so would having more money.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:36 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,255,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That's debatable. From what I've read, childless couples have a higher rate of divorce. Disagreeing about whether to have children is a pretty big deal-breaker. This is not to say that DINKs secretly want children or that they can't be happy, because that's obviously untrue, but it is debatable whether they are happier. It depends on how you measure happiness, I guess, and that's not easy.
that's why you don't marry someone until you know that they're with you on the kids thing.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
that's why you don't marry someone until you know that they're with you on the kids thing.
True, but some people do change their minds. I'm sure many childless couples discussed it beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships