Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:40 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,253,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Your point is quite valid, and I think it depends a great deal on the values you instill into children and the time and effort you expend in doing so. I know many people that are estranged from their parents or children and it may be for good reason. Still, you must admit that if you have no children at all, that greatly reduces the possiblity of a visit or call from them in old age.
eh, I'll just have a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:50 AM

62 posts, read 87,338 times
My daughter and her husband are dinks I guess. They are enjoying life to the fullest. Maybe one day they will get tired of it and give me a grandchild, but thats their choice. Wait till I tell them they are Dinks - heehee.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,246,751 times
My brother had four sons. None chose to have children and now enjoy all the DINK perks, the adult toys, great vacations, etc. It's interesting, though, how often they and their wifes try to arrange to spend time with our two children.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,520,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I don't think they were referring to being taken care of in old age. I think they mean that it's a decision that will haunt them in old age because they will miss out on seeing their children and grand children grow.
Not all of us with kids are expecting them to take care of us when we are elderly.
Have you ever thought that maybe some do not want that.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:10 AM

19,772 posts, read 12,339,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I prefer not to think of myself as a DINK.

After all, we've raised three lovely antique Mercedes.
I'm sure they've grown into fine upstanding vehicles.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Well, I hope your kids don't leave you alone in a nursing home. Because kids are ALWAYS a guarantee that you'll get taken care of in old age!
Not everyone ends up in a nursing home, we tried to put my grandfather in one one time but we couldn't catch him and besides he had to be at work, he didn't retire until he was 84.

Sometimes it's the old age parents who are still taking care of their kids, one lady at work just had both her grown still single kids move back home, and now she's not sure she wants to retire. She never really liked having kids, never really wanted any so that's kind of the irony, she not only had kids, she got kids who will never leave home. Weirdly enough, she's wanting one of her kids to marry and give her grandchildren but maybe that's more because she thinks that would make them more likely to move out and stay out.

Nursing homes are for ill people, and you don't get put in one because you did or didn't have kids. It's not a guarantee either way that anyone will ever come visit you if you're in one -- but at least you'd have the other nursing home residents around.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,996,835 times
You know, one constent thing people are saying over and over again is that, essentially, no kids=party all day and be carefree and hedonistic. That is so not the case for allot of people!

What if someon's dream was to be a traveling physician for Doctors Without Borders and spend most of their time in third world countries helping the poor? Wouldn't that be something that, essentially, could not be done with kids? Or what if someone just wanted to dedicate their life to any other cause that having children would hold them back from, like being an environmentalist or one of those People's Rights Attornies who work mostly for free?

If one has kids, they dedicate their lives to their kids, and rightly so. If one does not have kids, they could, potentially (although it is not always the case) dedicate themselves to the betterment of society in general.

It is not always a hedonistic, selfish decision as so many people make it out to be.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:37 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,611,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
We have a three year old GSD
Dogs are so much easier - wish I had known that years ago

Old 06-06-2009, 10:28 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,749,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Have you ever thought that maybe some do not want that.

Well of course, you don't have to roll your eyes at me...I was trying to clear up what the original poster was saying

Quite frankly I don't care if someone wants kids or not.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:31 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,241,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
... and they contribute to the extinction of their genes, and the species.

Way to go!
Silly statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I think that they made a decision that will haunt them in a probably lonely old age, but mainly I feel they should stop complaining about paying for my Social Security.
What are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not everyone ends up in a nursing home, we tried to put my grandfather in one one time but we couldn't catch him
That's cute.
Quote:
and besides he had to be at work, he didn't retire until he was 84.
Same with my husband's grandfather. He worked and was active well into his 80's and shortly after got cancer and died quickly. He lived a full life until the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships