Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws917 View Post
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence no matter what the issue is it seems.
For me it really isn't. I'm pretty glad with the decisions I made -- they were right for me. I have no envy of the childless with their nice cars and big houses and fancy trips. I prefer a camping trip to the woods or mountains and hiking to any luxury hotel. I also accept that not everyone is into the same things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I'm interested to hear what others think of DINKS--double income, no kids. They take vacations whenever/wherever they want, have plenty of extra money to spent on eating out, entertainment, and can live in the geographical locations they want (for instance in the big cities) because they don't have to worry about schools.
Odd question. I think the same of them as any other couple. It's great if that's what works for them. What is anyone supposed to think??

Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,985,770 times
I will probably end up like this. I mean, I know good and well that I would be the worst father in human history. Coming from an abusive childhood and being the son of parents (especially my "mother") who never should of had been parents, I would not want to make anyone have to go through that.

I just have to find a woman who would be alright with it, as I am sure there are plenty who don't want kids (assuming I ever do meet a woman and don't become chaste my entire life, which I would be cool with)

I can barely take care of myself...why try to take care of a kid when I can't even take care of myself?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,195,682 times
Sounds like my ideal situation. I am in no way in a rush to get married but I am not closed out to it. My views have changed about marriage.

BUT under any circumstances I do not want children.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I'm interested to hear what others think of DINKS--double income, no kids. They take vacations whenever/wherever they want, have plenty of extra money to spent on eating out, entertainment, and can live in the geographical locations they want (for instance in the big cities) because they don't have to worry about schools.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:14 PM

Tell me about it. I'd have to kick their little aszes all the time.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
It's looking like that's the way DH and I are heading.

The more I see people with their kids, the more I realize..maybe that's just not for me. I don't think I have that kind of patience.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,669,359 times
I prefer not to think of myself as a DINK.

After all, we've raised three lovely antique Mercedes.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,206,213 times
What I think is: I wish I was one...er, half of a DINK couple....I am in a silly mood tonight, can you tell?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:23 PM

Not eveyone's situation is like yours. There are lots of people out there that live like the OP has noted.

Sure, they may get a tax deduction but those are pennies in comparison to the amount of money they'll spend on the child.

Give me the DINKS life any day over a tax deduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
This is an unrealistic view of DINKS. We can't just take off whenever we want (we have jobs and responsibilities too), we don't have plenty of extra money because we don't get the big tax deductions that you people with children get, and we can't necessarily live where we want.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,490,943 times
Beats ZINKS - Zero Income, Nine Kids - but it is not as good as MINKS - Millionaire Income, No Kids...

Old 06-06-2009, 02:01 AM

390 posts, read 905,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
My wife an I are DINKS. We love our neices and nephews. Not planning on having any children. I know I will regret it someday, but my patience level won't allow it and down time is important to me. Selfish, yes.

Raising children is the most important job in the world. Not sure we are up to it. But there is a void, knowing that we are missing out.
I commend you on your honesty. Admitting that you lack the patients for kids, is great. Most ppl would never say that even after they have them.
Yes, kids are great, but, if you were suppose to have them, you would have them. Your life can be great with or without. There is no ethical or politically correct life to lead where it says that you must include kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships