Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:10 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
My wife an I are DINKS. We love our neices and nephews. Not planning on having any children. I know I will regret it someday, but my patience level won't allow it and down time is important to me. Selfish, yes.

Raising children is the most important job in the world. Not sure we are up to it. But there is a void, knowing that we are missing out.
I'll probably end up the same way, but I don't think it's selfish. I simply don't think that everyone is meant to have children. All you need to do is spend some time in public to notice that this is searingly true. Some people are totally wonderful souls, but can't discipline children and can't find the desire to invest in them if they wanted to.

I think I'm one of those people. I can't even watch my own niece for over an hour before the stress starts to get too much for me. It's nice to just enjoy kids that aren't your own, but for some people, it's a whole 'nother thing when there's no one to send them back home to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:13 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
The DINK lifestyle is the best, friends of mine live on one income and spend the other income on collector cars.

DINK lifestyle is at it's very best when one partner has a stable job with benefits that covers all normal expenses, the other can then be in business for themselves, or do something like real estate, other sales, that can make good money but is less stable.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:55 PM

168 posts, read 531,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I'll probably end up the same way, but I don't think it's selfish.

On the contrary, I think it's selfish to have children when you know you won't be able to support them or give them a good home or be a decent parent to them.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:56 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I'm interested to hear what others think of DINKS--double income, no kids. They take vacations whenever/wherever they want, have plenty of extra money to spent on eating out, entertainment, and can live in the geographical locations they want (for instance in the big cities) because they don't have to worry about schools.
Nothing wrong with it at all. Why do you ask?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Pretty good deal! Even ideal, as far as I'm concerned personally. That was my last plan, but it didn't work out even though all the prerequisites were there. If it weren't for the people... would've been perfect.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:05 PM

If that's what makes a couple happy, why shouldn't they do it? I myself have always wanted kids. I'm not very materialistic, so it doesn't matter to me if I don't get a new car every couple of years or take vacations to exotic spots. I am very happy watching my kids grow up, being involved in Scouts and school activities. The important thing is that people should go in the direction they want to go in without feeling pressured by friends, family or society. Some people make better aunts and uncles than they would parents and that's fine. All kinds of people make up a family ... aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc. I like knowing that my kids have good role models in their aunts and uncles. That's just as important as good parenting in helping your child be successful in life.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:21 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I'm interested to hear what others think of DINKS--double income, no kids. They take vacations whenever/wherever they want, have plenty of extra money to spent on eating out, entertainment, and can live in the geographical locations they want (for instance in the big cities) because they don't have to worry about schools.
This is an unrealistic view of DINKS. We can't just take off whenever we want (we have jobs and responsibilities too), we don't have plenty of extra money because we don't get the big tax deductions that you people with children get, and we can't necessarily live where we want.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Old 06-05-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
This is an unrealistic view of DINKS. We can't just take off whenever we want (we have jobs and responsibilities too), we don't have plenty of extra money because we don't get the big tax deductions that you people with children get, and we can't necessarily live where we want.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence no matter what the issue is it seems.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:02 PM

306 posts, read 530,949 times
Sounds good to me. I don't know what all the hype about kids is frankly. They cry, whine, poop their diapers, don't appreciate anything you do for them. And they're not always even cute! Too much cost, too little return, IMO.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I don't think one way or the other. If someone doesn't want kids, it's best they don't have them. Let those who want kids have the kids -- it works out better for kids for sure.

If the material things are what matters most to someone -- that's what they should go after. Each type of people should do what they should do, be happy with kids if that's the way they go or be happy with no kids -- but if there are regrets later -- well too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships