Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 02:22 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,802,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't understand where this thread is going.
I think it's about the merits of staying home and keeping house, but I think T and I are wandering off topic.

If my husband and I didn't have children and were therefore DINKs, I would have no qualms about paying someone to dust my ceiling fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,868,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Dogs always come when you call them. They are loyal and they never hit you up for cash. DINKSwD.
And don't forget you also get to hear them say their first word, take their first steps, graduate high school and college, walk your dog down the isle at their wedding and hold your dog’s puppies like your own! When you die alone in your bed perhaps your dog will even lick your face.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:30 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,868,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No more than your ideal is the celebration of subjugating women.
Subjugating women? Is that what you call your mom on mothers Day, a subjugated women? I don't know about most women but my wife wanted children as much as I did and she did not see herself as being subjugated. In fact I change as many diapers as she does.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:33 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,802,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Subjugating women? Is that what you call your mom on mothers Day, a subjugated women? I don't know about most women but my wife wanted children as much as I did and she did not see herself as being subjugated. In fact I change as many diapers as she does.
Please look at my quote in context. I didn't say that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Ah, so it's the celebration of materialism, gotcha.
Quote:
No more than your ideal is the celebration of subjugating women.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:11 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,754,225 times
Quote:
I'm still fuzzy on why either one of them should stay home, but I can see the merit in doing things like baking bread from scratch, preparing homemade soup stocks and other tasks that take a long time. I enjoy cooking and would do quite a bit more if I could. (Of course, that would also cost money.) I would also enjoy more time to garden.
Oh, come on, wouldn't you like coming home to a spotless house, the kids working on their homework in their rooms (if there are kids), and having someone to draw you a hot bath so that you can just RELAX, while they get the dinner on the table?

It's simply nice to have someone to come home to, to do those things for you. And it should make the person providing those things feel good that they can make YOU feel good. I suppose, in the end, it doesn't really matter what the gender of the person doing it is, but I'm a pretty traditional sort of guy.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:40 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,247,612 times
Quote:
Oh, come on, wouldn't you like coming home to a spotless house, the kids working on their homework in their rooms (if there are kids), and having someone to draw you a hot bath so that you can just RELAX, while they get the dinner on the table?

It's simply nice to have someone to come home to, to do those things for you. And it should make the person providing those things feel good that they can make YOU feel good. I suppose, in the end, it doesn't really matter what the gender of the person doing it is, but I'm a pretty traditional sort of guy.
I can see the merit of of being a SAHD or SAHM. I'm in line with many others believing very little is more important than raising healthy children. If we manage to have children, both my dh and I would love to stay home (if we were rich). But, as far DINKS go, I still would want my husband to persue whatever personal intersts he may have outside keeping house and taking care of my needs.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:03 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,247,612 times
Quote:
If the money you earn covers your maid, your cook, and the gas and wear and tear expenses on having your own vehicle to get back and forth with, doesn't that make your job pointless?
I've seen couples come in to do their taxes done where both partners work and they have kids. But the childcare expense is more than one partner made all year! Thus, it COST them money to have both spouses work in that case.
I've never understood this. Why would anyone want to work to only pay for childcare? It doesn't make any sense. Even when childcare is 50% of the income is pushing it as far as I'm concerned. It's a tough decision for parents.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:17 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,543,517 times
*sigh* I wish I was a stay-at-home mom...

Old 06-11-2009, 05:35 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,348,772 times
At this point in my life, I guess you could say I'm a SINK, I'm hoping to eventually move into the world of DINKhood. At this point I think I'm too old to start changing diapers and calming temper tantrums, and my current boyfriend doesn't want kids. I would worry a lot about birth defects too, since I'm over 40.

I'm glad most of my friends with young kids all seem to be happy and their kids are doing well in school and are relatively well behaved.

However, some of my older friends with adult children are probably questioning their decision 30 years ago or so to have kids in the first place. I have friends with kids in jail, or still living at home and not working, or are unwed mothers with no college degree and no decent job so my friends are shelling out what should be retirement savings to support the deadbeat kids. Sure, the problem could probably be traced back to how they parented these kids in the first place, when they were younger, but in a couple cases I really can't blame my friends. One friend had an abusive husband who threatened her with death if she tried to see her own kids after the divorce. Her son is now on drugs and in and out of jail. I'd put the blame on her ex, more than her, but still - would she be better off now if she'd never had that son in the first place?

Old 06-11-2009, 06:02 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,206,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
At this point in my life, I guess you could say I'm a SINK, I'm hoping to eventually move into the world of DINKhood. At this point I think I'm too old to start changing diapers and calming temper tantrums, and my current boyfriend doesn't want kids. I would worry a lot about birth defects too, since I'm over 40.

I'm glad most of my friends with young kids all seem to be happy and their kids are doing well in school and are relatively well behaved.

However, some of my older friends with adult children are probably questioning their decision 30 years ago or so to have kids in the first place. I have friends with kids in jail, or still living at home and not working, or are unwed mothers with no college degree and no decent job so my friends are shelling out what should be retirement savings to support the deadbeat kids. Sure, the problem could probably be traced back to how they parented these kids in the first place, when they were younger, but in a couple cases I really can't blame my friends. One friend had an abusive husband who threatened her with death if she tried to see her own kids after the divorce. Her son is now on drugs and in and out of jail. I'd put the blame on her ex, more than her, but still - would she be better off now if she'd never had that son in the first place?
I get what you are saying, but I bet if you asked her that, she'd say she was absolutely glad she had her son. Very few people ever wish they didn't have their children. That doesn't mean everyone should have kids, definitely not, but for those who do, even if they weren't sure at first, they are almost always glad of that choice... even if it doesn't turn out great . Plus, who's to say this son won't get his life turned around some day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships