Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
For the same reason my "mother", who was abusive to me and my siblings and spent all the child support on drugs and booze filed for a divorce: GREED. If the husband cannot provide enough money, enough material possessions, a big enough car etc etc etc it makes perfect sense from the woman's greedy prospective to dump him, milk him until he's dry through alimony and child support, only about 50% of which actually goes to the kids, and get another man to milk for all he's worth too.

By that logic I guess I can say that all husbands screw around, are too slack to initiate divorce proceedings, shuffle off into the distance after the papers are signed NEVER paying child support which effectively ruins their children's chances of getting a good education, not to mention being adequately fed and clothed. By that logic I could say all men are jerks.....but I'd be wrong.

Applying the exact same negative rationale to others based on the bad behaviour of one person in your experience does not add up to ALL. What your mother did was crappy at best and criminal at worst BUT to have come to the conclusion that because of what she did ALL women divorce because of GREED is really short sighted.

I agree with others who have said that it is mostly women who file because men have a vested interest in not filing or they just can't be bothered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 06:01 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Just MHO, but I thnk women are, in general, more decisive when it comes to relationships.

Men will often say they "need some space" or perhaps "some time off". They hem and they haw...but when a woman decides a relationship is over? It's over. O.V.E.R. over.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Just MHO, but I thnk women are, in general, more decisive when it comes to relationships.

Men will often say they "need some space" or perhaps "some time off". They hem and they haw...but when a woman decides a relationship is over? It's over. O.V.E.R. over.
It has been my experience that when a woman tells you she's leaving,she's already gone and you just didn't know it.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:06 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,507 times
My lawn service guy is getting divorced and his wife (both in their 20s) was the one who filed. I asked him what happened and why was he getting the divorce and I sure got more than I asked for. Talk about TMI... he told me he had an alcohol problem and he and his wife were always fighting. He planned to tell her he wanted a divorce as soon as their third child had been born, but when his wife was around 8 months pregnant, he had an affair and his wife found out about it. He showed up at the hospital when the baby was born, but then left to go to the bar and didn't return (his wife was actually upset at him for this ) I also heard from a couple people I work with who also use this guy to mow their lawns, that my lawn guy had been in rehab, and had been in jail for leaving the scene of an accident (fender bender). Yeah, my lawn guy is a real gem

Anyway, I asked him why his wife did the filing and he told me his lawyer told him to let her be the one to file so it wouldn't appear like he was "abandoning" his wife and children. In reality, he was the one who wanted the divorce and exhibited the majority of the bad behavior in the relationship.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
My boyfriend's dad has been the one to do the filing EVERY TIME he's divorced somebody (yes, I did say, "every time," as in multiple divorces). He's also announced his ending of each of his marriages by not joining the family on a vacation, and moving to an apartment while they're gone.

He's an attorney himself. And obviously a class act.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My boyfriend's dad has been the one to do the filing EVERY TIME he's divorced somebody (yes, I did say, "every time," as in multiple divorces). He's also announced his ending of each of his marriages by not joining the family on a vacation, and moving to an apartment while they're gone.

He's an attorney himself. And obviously a class act.

Yikes. Hopefully the BF has been through extensive and costly therapy.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,452 times
I thank god everyday that I'm still single with no children!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:40 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Well this explains a lot
Doesn't it though???

Old 07-16-2009, 12:27 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
I filed for divorce in my first marriage because I was done. I told my ex he had a week to file and after three days, I just went and found a great attorney and did it myself. My ex thought I was lying until he finally got served the papers. Some guys just never learn.
So, I filed because I was done and I would file again with my second hubby if I ever started to feel that same way. I'm not going to prolong a situation.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:28 AM

314 posts, read 719,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
And women always get something out of it....even if a garbage man married Paris Hilton, chances are nine out of ten that he would still have to pay her something.
Actually some women pay dearly to dump an abusive slimeball hoping to have a shot at freedom and peace. No thought to getting anything other than a chance to wake up and enjoy a day without a whiner tainting the air. The day is long gone where it is an uneven split by gender. Now it seems to be whoever was the least responsible the court makes sure they don't end up on the public payroll.

Women usually want closure and will work to make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships