Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:06 AM

639 posts, read 828,578 times

Advertisements

the post is old, are they still even together lol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:06 AM

788 posts, read 1,272,076 times
OMG. You're very well educated and he wants you to sit there and look pretty. Honey, you're not a trophy, so don't let this jerk treat you like one. This situation is not going to improve, and you have more working against you than your different backgrounds - he's an insensitive brute! Do yourself a favor and move on very quickly. Good luck to you! You will find someone better than this loser - yes, LOSER!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
the post is old, are they still even together lol?
Nope!!!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
You can't change your backgrounds. These things aren't going to change and you're always going to clash.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,382 times
I would never let a white man touch me who makes bigoted comments about my own race.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:59 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
The boyfriend and I are so different, I wonder if this is contributing to some of the issues we have in our relationship.

Some background: I am black, he is white. He grew up in Westchester county, I grew up in Harlem. He is seven years my senior. He's traveled a lot, I haven't. He works in Manhattan making decent money managing accounts for an A/V company (a nine to five), I've worked for Hooters for two years (working at night, primarily).

We are obviously very different in a lot of ways, but we care a lot about each other and we were virtually inseparable pretty much from the moment we met.

But I can't ignore some of the issues we deal with and I wonder if it has to do with us being so different.

I know he's older, done a ton of stuff, and is generally a very mature individual, however, he talks to me like a child, and I'm tired of it. He honestly makes me feel like a moron and I'm very well educated. He has no problem calling my opinions 'ignorant' and 'stupid'. Mostly I just give up arguing because he gets very agitated and I'm a calm, peaceful, submissive person in general. If I complain about him treating me like a child, he insists that he's doing nothing of the sort, that sometimes I just have moments in which I don't exhibit a lot of common sense.

He is very appearance oriented, and likes to approve of the stuff I wear before I wear them outside. I've complied with the vast majority of his requests about the way I dress, I know for a while he hated that I dressed too 'sexy' when going out, and I toned it down a lot. But I find his attempts to micro-manage what I wear sometimes just a little absurd.

Sometimes I feel like I'm a pet to him, he very much likes going out with me and with his friends and people comment on how pretty I am (he loves that), as long as I don't talk too much, sit still, and look proper.

He says casually bigoted things about certain racial groups from time to time, not that I don't either at times (in a joking manner), but he seems absurdly preoccupied with stereotypes about certain groups. If I discuss it with him he stops (at least temporarily).

Now I've listed all the bad here, of course there's a lot of good. He's smart fun, and very attentive to my needs. He's trying to make me more verbal and expressive. He wants to expose me to a lot of things I haven't been exposed to. I don't doubt he is devoted to me, and I'd never have to worry about him cheating on me. Our sex life is awesome (we have sex daily up to twice a day). He never stays angry long and he's very affectionate.

I quit reading at "He makes me feel like a moron and he talks to me like a child". No one has the right to speak to anyone else this way especially if you are dating no matter what your background and age difference is.

Dump this guy and move on to someone who actually respects you and wants you in their lives for who you are without the sex involved. The sex is a bonus after the fact (in my opinion). The sex and the physical looks don't last forever so you need to make sure you have someone you are friends with if you plan on staying with them for many years to come.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
Arrgghh - I hate it when I don't check the date!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:26 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Arrgghh - I hate it when I don't check the date!

I was just about to say, "OMG, Babee, AGAIN?"

Old 03-25-2012, 09:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
It's not cultural differences. Constantly calling you 'ignorant' and 'stupid' shows he looks down on you. Move on.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Why is this open again? It's 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships