Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for some more great stories! They give me hope that somewhere, somehow...... I hope they have helped everyone else reading them too.

Yellowsnow - Does he have a brother????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 12:05 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Does anyone here have a really great love story to tell? I am sincerely asking. So many of us are having such a hard time finding someone we really connect with, it would be great to hear a real love story, even though I know it doesn't happen the way it does in the movies. It can be your story (you don't even have to still be together!), or the story of someone you know.

Anyone?
Wow... where do i begin? Let's start with "really connecting" sexual wise. When we first kissed it was like a flashbang went off in front of us. We were dazed for the next day, head in the clouds and all sorts of crap. Sex was the exact same way, except worse. We both could not think straight for a weeks.

Reality. "really connecting" emotion wise. We met on a dark stormy night. It was raining hard and i rode up to the jamba juice and met. We spoke for an hour and half then left. Though that wasn't the end, we kept feeling like something should have been done. We spoke and agreed we were connecting so fast. Things went on... Then to find out both of our ideals are nearly the same. As time went on, we continued to care about each other and each of our needs. We moved in together and discovered some new things, but nothing bad. I finally felt like she was the one and she is it, there will be no one else. This is the only opportunity you will get in life. I took the chance and explained to her how i could spend the rest of my life with her while "people watching." I poped the question the next day and we happily married the easy way. No giant expensive wedding, no expensive trips that we couldn't afford, it was about us and no one else. Our 2nd year is coming up.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for some more great stories! They give me hope that somewhere, somehow...... I hope they have helped everyone else reading them too.

Yellowsnow - Does he have a brother????
Sorry, no brother.

Just don't give up. I was the least likely to. And look what happened.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
when I met my so ,it was in a bar, and I was 17(I sneeked in) There was this guy there that was sooo smart that most of the others around the table couldn't participate in conversations with him for long because they really couln't understand him..I was intrigued. My sister told me he was wrong for me, and that(in her words) he just wanted to get in my pants..We started going out together, and within a month I moved into his trailor with him, and we lived in the bush. we had a propane stove and coal-oil lamps..flash forward to today...we have a large house on acreage(all bought and payed for) no debt.,4 beautiful children, all grown, and now a beautiful grand daughter, and we just had our 35th anniversity of being together and our 30th anniversity of marrige. He is a very honest, caring man, and I look forward to another 35..

Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
ahhh, I love these stories! I want to read more! Anyone else?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Does anyone here have a really great love story to tell? I am sincerely asking. So many of us are having such a hard time finding someone we really connect with, it would be great to hear a real love story, even though I know it doesn't happen the way it does in the movies. It can be your story (you don't even have to still be together!), or the story of someone you know.

Anyone?
While I know plenty of people in all age groups who would have those kinds of stories, I think sometimes people you've known the longest are those you know the most about, so here goes:

A high school girl and an Army solider on leave, each with their little groups of friends, met at Coney Island (large amusement park in NY, in case you've never heard of it). They dated (in the traditional sense of the word), became engaged, and married. Over the years, they had financial worries and successes, serious medical concerns, experienced war through one of their sons; they were one of the many many couples I've known who took those traditional vows seriously, and when the "til death do us part" came, they'd been married for 58 years.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:39 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,459 times
Quote:

Anyone?
don't know if this story is "great" to anyone other than myself but i'm bored so here goes.
2001 i leave my marriage with my daughter after 18 years of misery. 2002 i start playing rummy and dominoes at break and lunch-time at work with another guy and a couple of the women. one of the women who i've known for a few years played every day with us. we'd had one or two conversations over the years but that's it. i was married and she was taken. as we're playing games she starts making subtle contact with me such as our hands touching when i reach for a card or a domino. or our legs or feet touch under the table. eventually the touching is not so subtle and i figure the other players notice. other guys talk to her at work also and i don't like it. by that time in 2002 she's dating other guys at work and i'm not sure i'm her type. one of the original women that started playing with us suggests i ask her out.
one day she's standing at the break table chatting with me as i'm sitting there and i figure "what the heck she's pretty enough what's the worst that can happen" so i ask her if she'd like to go out sometime fully expecting her to say "no". she shruggs and says "sure why not".
1st date we go out to dinner and realize we have tons of stuff in common and i drop her off at her door and don't even kiss her which i find out later bothered her a little. 2nd date(2 days later) is dinner and a movie and i tell her i don't share so dating other guys is over if she wants to keep dating me. we tell each other what kind of things are important to us and what our values are. we kiss briefly as we say "goodbye"
i'm not gonna get into the 3rd date but we knew we had something very special and made a commitment to each other very quickly. i was going through the whole divorce thing which was awful but she got me through the ordeal. i wouldn't wish divorce on my worst enemy. we've been together just about 8 years now and it's been the happiest 8 years of my life. i had more happiness in our 1st 18 days that i had in the 18 years of my 1st marriage. we're buddies and best friends and we belong together and that's one heck of a good feeling.
good luck to those of you looking for that special someone. have patience but keep you eyes open, you never know what'll happen...

Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Ok.......here is a poem I wrote to my wife before we were married:

There once was a cowboy, sad and depressed,
then along came this lady and put all that to rest.
She answered an ad this cowboy had placed,
that made all the other responses just a waste!
He felt like a King who had just been crowned,
and thought of her from sun-up to sun-down.
His heart was so happy and full of joy,
like a little boy with a brand new toy.
This cowboy knew what love was now,
and nothing would change that,
no-way, no-how!
This cowboy could cook, this cowboy could clean,
it made the lady smile with gleam.
The lady's love for her cowboy grew,
and she could see his love in his eyes of blue.
He would later get married and have a wonderful life,
with this beautiful cowgirl as his wife.

Short story behind poem: I had been divorced for 22 years and hated being single for all those years and just couldn't find "Mrs. Right", period! I had placed a couple of personal ads before with no success. I knew what I wanted out of a lady and relationship, but...........Anyway, I had got involved with pro-rodeo (roping) a number of years before. I (again) placed a Personal Ad in a local magazine. My wife seen it, replied thru a phone message, I called her and we talked. We met at a Denny's close to me. I had on Wrangler jeans, Resistol hat and Roper boots. To my absolute happiness, she showed up in Roper (Western) jeans, Resistol hat and cowboy boots. I took her to a number of rodeo's that year, she found out I could 2-step very good and we both had done some Squaredancing. We had a Cowboy Wedding and this coming March it will be our 10th Wedding Anniversary! We are only a year apart in age (same Generation) and we both love boating, fishing, target shooting, photography and NFL football. Yes, this lady can fish, shoot and knows football as much (if not more) than I do! We are in our early 60's and still know how to "party/have fun".....well, as much as a 60 yr old can party, that is.
That is my LOVE STORY!!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok.......here is a poem I wrote to my wife before we were married:

There once was a cowboy, sad and depressed,
then along came this lady and put all that to rest.
She answered an ad this cowboy had placed,
that made all the other responses just a waste!
He felt like a King who had just been crowned,
and thought of her from sun-up to sun-down.
His heart was so happy and full of joy,
like a little boy with a brand new toy.
This cowboy knew what love was now,
and nothing would change that,
no-way, no-how!
This cowboy could cook, this cowboy could clean,
it made the lady smile with gleam.
The lady's love for her cowboy grew,
and she could see his love in his eyes of blue.
He would later get married and have a wonderful life,
with this beautiful cowgirl as his wife.

Short story behind poem: I had been divorced for 22 years and hated being single for all those years and just couldn't find "Mrs. Right", period! I had placed a couple of personal ads before with no success. I knew what I wanted out of a lady and relationship, but...........Anyway, I had got involved with pro-rodeo (roping) a number of years before. I (again) placed a Personal Ad in a local magazine. My wife seen it, replied thru a phone message, I called her and we talked. We met at a Denny's close to me. I had on Wrangler jeans, Resistol hat and Roper boots. To my absolute happiness, she showed up in Roper (Western) jeans, Resistol hat and cowboy boots. I took her to a number of rodeo's that year, she found out I could 2-step very good and we both had done some Squaredancing. We had a Cowboy Wedding and this coming March it will be our 10th Wedding Anniversary! We are only a year apart in age (same Generation) and we both love boating, fishing, target shooting, photography and NFL football. Yes, this lady can fish, shoot and knows football as much (if not more) than I do! We are in our early 60's and still know how to "party/have fun".....well, as much as a 60 yr old can party, that is.
That is my LOVE STORY!!
you two sounds like such a dynamic couple!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
Up until a year ago, I did. 15 years in the making, our fairy tale culminated last month turning into a Shakespearian tragedy. I'm not real comfortable sharing all the details of it over the internet, but this supposed fairy tale had red flags that I choose to ignore because I was so caught up in our story. So many nights and years after she moved away, referring to her as the one that got away. Turns out...it was for the best. But we were both convinced that we belonged together to the point that eventually we made it happen. We stayed in touch via email, always wondering if we were ever going to be together. Finally that day came when she dropped everything to move back to Texas and be with me. It seemed everything was right. Things seemed too good to be true, and they were.
It's amazing how you see someone for so long, but not really seeing them for who they are. Love is blind. I held her in such high regard despite those obvious red flags that lately I can't stop kicking myself. 9 months after she moved in with me she showed me her true colors. It's really hard when you put so many dreams and aspirations into someone because you think you finally got it right this time. I thought I had been so careful, yet, somehow had overlooked some glaring personality flaws. I learned a very valuable lesson the hard way. That plot twist is always awesome in a movie, but when it's your life, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships