Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:38 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
I have certainly lied in my life, but have found it to be less necessary as I've gotten older. For example, when I was in my late teens and 20's, I didn't tell my parents what I was doing and flat out lied when they asked (so as to not upset them). Now, they don't bother asking, tho, I'm not living the same lifestyle either lol. I work at a job that doesn't care what time I come in, so even when I'm really late and mentally coming up with all kinds of lame excuses, I get here and there's nobody to tell, because nobody cares.

Aside from the above examples, I'm having a hard time imagining what people are lying about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 641 times
There's a whole book written about how to use poker strategy to attract women.

[url]www.stackingthedeck.net/guide[/url]

Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Dating is like a poker game
OMG, has anybody else said it yet? I skimmed but didn't see anything...oh please please tell me I'm not the only person on CD with a middle school mentality about the title of this post.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 PM

35 posts, read 58,801 times
I'm gonna sound like Spock and be all "logical" about this post.

Dating is not "like" poker. Dating "can be" "like" poker. In fact, LIFE "can be" "like" poker. Getting a job, or a good career, can definately be "like" poker.

I'll even break it down:

First is that in poker, some is luck, some is "skill". You can debate that more to law enforcement who wants to ban illegal gambling vs the poker sites that want it legal.

It's about manipulating luck by experience. Dating can be about luck? Unless you're like, really really hot and sexy and smart and just born like the enviable most luckiest bestest person ever. Just kidding. Being HOT in dating is like being RICH in poker. gives you an edge ONLY if you make use of that edge. The more money, the more you can risk losing (and not feel "tilt") in order to gain. Poker you MUST lose because that's how you gain the experience of seeing the various hands and seeing the way people are. Poker is about playing so many times that you have a database of literally thousands of hand combinations and human reactions inside your head, which again, you gain through time.

That luck in dating could be, let's say, you go on a date, but while out at the boring, typical coffee place, with absolutely zero fun or chemistry involved, a bolt of lightning strikes the table right in between you two! That was soooooo scary, that it actually got you both so excited, that you both found this newfound thrill and lust between you two. Then you get married and live happily ever after.

Was that luck?? What if the lightning didn't strike, and you only had to rely on your jokes and awesome shirt, you might of gone home a bitter person once again.

Well, it could be considered luck, but, I disagree... You made a choice to ask this person out. You chose to go to this coffee place. You chose to continue dating (to which I assume because you even posted this means you dated before, but to no success or feeling unsatisfied, thus frustration. You were on "dating-tilt")

Experience says, for lightning to even strike, you must be out. You must date! I doubt lightning would strike inside your bedroom. To win poker, you gotta play!! To play means, you gotta lose. To date means you gotta feel some pain.

Poker is about losing. But then playing AGAIN. With each loss, that is adding to the database inside your head of various skills and knowledge.

The funny thing about poker is you feel anger and frustration for so long, but one day, it occurs to you, just like Daniel-San in Karate Kid who could not understand why Mr. Miyagi is making him do these boring chores, that all of that stuff was actually TEACHING him. Usually this "lesson" is revealed in an instant, sometimes it's revealed in retrospect, sometimes it's an epiphany.

In dating, each rejection or bad date is a lesson that eventually leads to the winning date.

So in this context, for me personally, to answer your question, yes, dating is like poker.

Now don't get me started on comparing "dating up or down" to playing at "low limit vs high limit" or "cash games vs. tourneys" ;P

Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Do you feel like this? My favorite way to catch liars is ask them a question you know they will lie about that you know the truth to. Then ask them a question you don't know the answer to that they may lie about. Watch for the "tell" in body language. Also works for small childen mngmt. (aka momming)
I could see the relation between dating and a poker game, but not in the way you described. Here's how I see it:

Women hold all the cards. You always need to have an ace up your sleeve, and you can't ever show her your whole hand until maybe 6 months in. You have to keep her guessing whether you're bluffing or all in.

If you go all in too early, it'll make her question her own hand no matter how good it is, she will fold even if she likes it.

You have to know when to walk away from a bad hand. The only way to tell when you're in a losing hand is by her ACTIONS, not her words. She could be talking like she has a flush, but really only has an ace high and she's looking to trade in some cards for a better hand (which means holding on to you until she hits her straight, i.e. another guy).

Women HATE losing (i.e. getting dumped). Especially the good poker playing women, if they're hot and have had a lot of relationships, she's probably winning most of the time and isn't used to losing a hand.

Don't bet high or pay too much to see a hand that isn't worth it.

Personally, when actually IN the relationship, I want to see what she's like when the chips are down. Everyone is happy and anyone can have a good relationship when everything is going well....I want to know what she's like when times are a little tough. Does she bail on you? Does she stand by your side and help you, remain loyal to you, work with you to make things better? That's the number one thing I'd like to know and unfortunately you usually don't find that out until it's too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships