Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times

Advertisements

A man cooking is not a turn on, it doesn't guarantee anything. The fancier the meal the bigger turn off. I don't want a man showing me his "softer side" in the beginning. Save it for later. I want to be turned on, not applauding his home ec. skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
I would tend to be more impressed if a man cleaned up after a meal.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
I cook because I like to cook, not to get laid. Does it show my softer side? Not really. Have the stove, oven and grill all runing and and hot. Sharp knives and all sorts of things going on. I kinda go all alpha male in the kitchen... More so than normal.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,902,601 times
Hasn't happened thus far, but the idea is appealing of course. Cooking in the kitchen together is actually much more of a turn on for me. I feel like this could actually be very telling as to how things could be if it went on to become more.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
A variety of replies.

A good thing.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:30 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Your really lost on this issue, aren't you. I dont like to cook anymore than she likes to go change the oil on her car. At least I'm honest about it hating cooking.
No, actually I think you're the one who's lost on the issue. People do all kinds of things for their partners that they may not particularly enjoy. Why? Because they think their partner is worth it. I don't really enjoy cooking either. I would much rather go out to eat and throw something in the microwave. But I'll do it once in a while for my partner cause I enjoy making her feel special.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
I consider myself a very excellent cook. I'll only lay it on thick if I meet the RIGHT woman. I'm not cooking for any ol' broad. When I have the BEST, she'll get my BEST.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
Of course it is appreciated, I can't believe I hear people saying otherwise on here, but then again to each his own.

I have never heard of a woman who was not impressed by her date preparing a nice meal with good wine for her. Obviously not on the first date, generally going to someone's home is a bit much that early on. Of course, like someone said, grown ups are supposed to be able to do that. But he did not have to, and it is a nice sentiment that he cares enough to spend the time and effort to prepare something for you. My husband did so while we dated, and still does on occasion. Of course, we generally go out, and going out is enjoyable as well, but the effort to think of a menu and create it is sweet.

As far as the decanter or not, I suppose it depends on the wine, some need to breathe more than others, but it is at least aesthetically a nice touch.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:43 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
No, actually I think you're the one who's lost on the issue. People do all kinds of things for their partners that they may not particularly enjoy. Why? Because they think their partner is worth it. I don't really enjoy cooking either. I would much rather go out to eat and throw something in the microwave. But I'll do it once in a while for my partner cause I enjoy making her feel special.
Hi DennyCrane,

I have another consideration. Cooking or food preparation also reveals the particular relationship one has with food. Someone who can prepare food is more likely to have a healthy relationship with food. I tend to have an appetite for fresh fruit and vegetables. I also actively forage and I am chewing on an apple fruit leather from a feral apple tree as I post. I will be tossing some thistle mid ribs in my salad when I get home.
Since I do a lot of the cooking, she can do less of it but she has an appreciation of it. Ultimately the food will begin to show in other ways. If a woman thinks she will impress me by wanting to go out to dinner or toss something in a microwave that is bad enough, but when the weight problems start to show up, it will impress me very little indeed.
Dessert is still not out of the question. I will be making a ground cherry tart rather soon.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:00 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Of course it is appreciated, I can't believe I hear people saying otherwise on here, but then again to each his own.

I have never heard of a woman who was not impressed by her date preparing a nice meal with good wine for her. Obviously not on the first date, generally going to someone's home is a bit much that early on. Of course, like someone said, grown ups are supposed to be able to do that. But he did not have to, and it is a nice sentiment that he cares enough to spend the time and effort to prepare something for you. My husband did so while we dated, and still does on occasion. Of course, we generally go out, and going out is enjoyable as well, but the effort to think of a menu and create it is sweet.

As far as the decanter or not, I suppose it depends on the wine, some need to breathe more than others, but it is at least aesthetically a nice touch.
Hi Davachka,

I was a bit dumbfounded myself in another thread when I was told food preparation was not embedded female male interactions.
One big turn off for me was when a women had no food sense at all. Also, I am sorry to say, it is particularly a problem with Americans in general. Since I was in the market for women, I knew my odds of finding what I wanted were much lower amongst American women. Once I was in my 30s, it was not simply about being able to make me a meal, but the obvious fall out of being unable to make a healthy meal themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships