Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmama View Post
I agree with you in that it is insane that there is a double standard with housework being OK for a woman but not a man. It's the same work and is real no matter who performs it. But that is where my agreement ends.

The point of this thread is regarding the validity of househusbands which leads to the assumption that he is married to a career woman. In that case the kids are not given to strangers at daycare (although I highly doubt any parent is giving their child to a stranger).

I missed why it is insane for a woman to want a career...again, on the topic of househusbands the man is staying home so it would be a one income family so the tax theory does not make sense.

Finally, feminism is about equal rights. People can turn it into what serves their purpose, but superiority? I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion but provided your respect for housewives over women with careers solely based on whether they have a career outside the home or not provides a good glimpse into your reasoning.

So, how do you feel about male nurses, Flight Attendants, Teachers, or Administrative Assistants? I'm curious whether you feel these roles should be filled by men or women and if women fill those roles which career choices are acceptable for a woman and which are not?
Head over to the feminism thread about that. There's a whole debate going on there about whether it's superiority or equality.

Many of us disagree about feminism being about equality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 02:13 AM

14 posts, read 34,147 times
I think it depends on the couple.If she makes more money then you do,why not ? Whatever floats your boat !

Old 11-07-2009, 08:29 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
It seems like many women on here tend to have a double standard, and say it's real work if a woman is at home, but not real work if a man is doing it.

It just proves that feminism isn't about equal rights, it's about wanting superiority.
Seems like you were very selective in your reading of the responses, because just as many people, men and women, said they approved of "househusbands" as said they didn't. That's actually what feminism is about: men can be stay-at-home dads, women can climb the corporate ladder. It's all about choices, not outdated gender roles.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:17 AM

272 posts, read 640,232 times
I think if it works for a couple, then great. I'm married and we both currently work, but if I was single and dating and I met a man whose aspiration was to be a househusband, I would be completely turned off, unless he was a millionaire then I wouldn't care.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:28 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary.wilson View Post
I think it depends on the couple.If she makes more money then you do,why not ? Whatever floats your boat !
Well these days with many couples its the "she" who makes more money than the "he". Its the reality of the times being that the majority of college graduates now are women.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:23 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Since I have no desire to be a housewife, I do not want a househusband!

Old 11-07-2009, 12:09 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
Do women like housebusbands?
This woman doesn't, lol

If you're looking for a free-ride, keep looking! I can see it now, men mentally envisioning their life of relaxation. Grab a beer from the fridge, toss the kid a bottle in the playpen, and go back to the couch and flip around, something on TV interesting is bound to come on a sec And as soon as the little-wifey gets home from a hard day's work, she'll kick off her heels, rub your feet, make you dinner. Ahh, the life...

Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 AM

8 posts, read 15,645 times
I thought I lived in a 21st Century marriage with a wife who was okay with redefined gender roles but I was way wrong. I have seen a distinct drop in my wife's respect for me since I started staying home to take care of our kids. I am constantly criticized for not taking care of them well enough, not keeping the housecleaning up, not making enough money.

I have stopped buying anything for myself, have not been out to dinner in year, given up friends and am pretty much working 17 hour days shuttling kids, making meals, doing cleaning, and trying to make a bit of extra money online.

Quite frankly, it was a huge mistake which has already cost me my sense of self and may soon cost me my marriage. I can't wait to get back to work and get the hell out of this house. I love my kids but this has really turned into a nightmare for me and for my wife too. Makes me feel like we have not made any progress since becoming neanderthals, actaully.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
That's the wonderful thing about being child-free...no need for anyone to be a stay-at-home anything

Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 AM

8 posts, read 15,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Ya` know, seriously...if I could make enough money to support our household on my income alone, and he had supper cooked, went grocery shopping, did the laundry, cleaned, and yes this includes dusting, paid the bills, and also helped our son with his homework, I just might have to think about that!
This is exactly what I do except for paying the bills--she doesn't trust me with "her" money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships