Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:16 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

Separation is for people who want both marriage and divorce at the same time. They still want some of the benefits of being married to their spouse along with some of the benefits of being divorced at the same time. I see it as lazy, opportunistic, and inconsiderate of their future potential dates feelings. I woudn't date someone who was separated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,119 times
Default Divorce vs Separation

I'm debating whether to get a divorce...actually I filed because my husband seemed to want to act like he was single with cheating, seeking other women, lies, deceit. We have been married for 19 years, have been in counseling for 2 years. I told him multiple times and gave ultimatums that I couldn't take his behavior anymore. I served him with papers and he seemed shocked and said he didn't see it coming. He's blaming me for deciding to tear our family apart and wants me to put a hold on the divorce. He is still lying and looking on single sites. I love this man but if he doesn't love me enough to be faithful, what's left to fight for? Opinions please....should I go on with the divorce or try a 6-month separation?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
It's a way to act single yet still get the monetary benefits of being married.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:42 PM

68 posts, read 81,966 times
People usually separate when both have too much to lose from a divorce. I've a friend who has been separated for years and none of them has an intention to go ahead with divorce.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:51 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
If you file for no-contest divorce (meaning you both agree) you usually have to be legally separated for one year.

Then you have to file again to have that separation agreement converted into a divorce agreement. Sometimes that requires renegotiation, sometimes you just submit the request and a judge approves it.

Reasons to delay could include legal expenses, Income tax is ALWAYS less when you are married, Emotional attachment, And I have heard most frequently, that people remain married because of health insurance.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdlj0d013 View Post
I'm debating whether to get a divorce...actually I filed because my husband seemed to want to act like he was single with cheating, seeking other women, lies, deceit. We have been married for 19 years, have been in counseling for 2 years. I told him multiple times and gave ultimatums that I couldn't take his behavior anymore. I served him with papers and he seemed shocked and said he didn't see it coming. He's blaming me for deciding to tear our family apart and wants me to put a hold on the divorce. He is still lying and looking on single sites. I love this man but if he doesn't love me enough to be faithful, what's left to fight for? Opinions please....should I go on with the divorce or try a 6-month separation?
Continue with the divorce. He certainly isn't going to change if he can't accept responsibility for his actions. Don't get me wrong, there are two sides to every story, but if this is your side, what will 6 months do for you?

Sorry you are going through this. My ex did the same thing.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
I see it as lazy, opportunistic, and inconsiderate of their future potential dates feelings.
HAHAHA! Yeah, because that's exactly what people going separating from their spouse should be thinking about.

Reminds me of the time my H got a vasectomy once we were done having kids. At the consultation the urologist tried to tell me I should get my tubes tied instead, in case we divorced later and he wanted to have kids with another woman. He actually seemed shocked by my response to that.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I would just like to have some understanding or illumination on this subject. What is the difference between long-term separation and divorce? I worked with a woman who said she was married, but separated. I figured she had been separated for a year or less, and she said it had been 10 years.

Why would anyone do this?

What are the advantages, if any, to separation?

Usually it's all financial. Or medical insurance, that sort of thing.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:37 PM

887 posts, read 1,100,154 times
In my state, my wife and I have to be legally separated for one year, she moved out and has a separate residence. After the one year period we can divorce. I am grateful that neither one of us is clingy or dependent on the other. It's been easier to break it off so cleanly.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:59 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I would just like to have some understanding or illumination on this subject. What is the difference between long-term separation and divorce? I worked with a woman who said she was married, but separated. I figured she had been separated for a year or less, and she said it had been 10 years.

Why would anyone do this?

What are the advantages, if any, to separation?
I was exposed to this when I did some voluntary tax prep for the poor. One woman said she was married but hadn't seen her husband since 1982. I asked why she never divorced she responded that she never saw the reason why. She wasn't the only person I encountered with that situation although not that extreme. It's amazing what responses you get from a presumably simple question,"Are you married or single?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships