Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:23 AM

174 posts, read 230,432 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking around for a year before I finally registered and started posting on this site. I must say, it's been a year of turmoil for me, as I was going through a separation after 20 years of marriage, and reading some posts here has either been a source of entertainment (you know who you are!) and enlightenment (some excellent posts and posters here and you know who you are too!).

Anyway, I was on a first date last night. First date with a man I met through a dating site, and actually it was the first date I've had in over 20 years. I did all the correct things that most of you suggested (checked him out before-hand, be safety conscious, etc.).

We went for coffee first, then for a bite to eat. He's a really nice man and we had a great conversation. We left it at a possibility for a tentative movie date, he wanted me to call him as he knew I was new to the dating game and he didn't want to rush me.

My question: I liked him, but I didn't feel anything. In general, when does chemistry hit and you "know" it? I am a happy (actually I'm ecstatic now that I'm separated), stable, financially secure, independent woman with my sh*t together, I have no desire to settle and am very discerning, I would rather be alone than to be in a bad situation again. If I liked him enough, shall I go on with a second date, hoping that chemistry will develop?

BTW, yes, I'm over-analytical, but I have felt chemistry before and it was instant, but I've never acted on it -- too many barriers in the way at the time. I've regretted not acting on it.

Entertaining and enlightened responses only!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 07:37 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,940 times
It varies.

Sometimes, it hits the moment you make eye contact. A tingle runs up your spine and you automatically know that you want to get to know this person more. You just can't stop looking at them.

Sometimes, it hits in an innocent conversation. He/she says something and wow. . . it changes the entire way you look at him/her.

Sometimes, it takes a while. Sometimes, you don't even think chemistry is even there, and then one day, it dawns on you that "Oh, god. . . I think I might like that person!"

Old 01-31-2010, 07:40 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
I agree. Sometimes it just takes time for them to grow on ya`.

Give it a chance, and give it some time. Good luck!!

Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,940 times
Note: When the chemistry grew or arrived a while after I met the person, I generally was NOT looking to fall for that person. It was all out of my control. If you have to force chemistry for more than a short while, then I believe that's a pretty good sign it may never come. Conversely, sometimes it takes a certain event for chemistry to pop up between you two. I became wildly attracted to an acquaintance I had known for two years after we took a trip together.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
I'm not sure there are any hard and fast "rules".

First dates are often quite nervous affairs, because you're more afraid of making a fool of yourself than anything else.

Personally. I give it a while, until the initial shyness has worn off.
Then, as you begin to reveal more of yourselves to each other, you can decide if you like what you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated View Post
I've been lurking around for a year before I finally registered and started posting on this site. I must say, it's been a year of turmoil for me, as I was going through a separation after 20 years of marriage, and reading some posts here has either been a source of entertainment (you know who you are!) and enlightenment (some excellent posts and posters here and you know who you are too!).

Anyway, I was on a first date last night. First date with a man I met through a dating site, and actually it was the first date I've had in over 20 years. I did all the correct things that most of you suggested (checked him out before-hand, be safety conscious, etc.).

We went for coffee first, then for a bite to eat. He's a really nice man and we had a great conversation. We left it at a possibility for a tentative movie date, he wanted me to call him as he knew I was new to the dating game and he didn't want to rush me.

My question: I liked him, but I didn't feel anything. In general, when does chemistry hit and you "know" it? I am a happy (actually I'm ecstatic now that I'm separated), stable, financially secure, independent woman with my sh*t together, I have no desire to settle and am very discerning, I would rather be alone than to be in a bad situation again. If I liked him enough, shall I go on with a second date, hoping that chemistry will develop?

BTW, yes, I'm over-analytical, but I have felt chemistry before and it was instant, but I've never acted on it -- too many barriers in the way at the time. I've regretted not acting on it.

Entertaining and enlightened responses only!

Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,592,370 times
I'm with everyone else...it varies. Enjoy the dating and see what happens So glad it went well for you, though!!

Old 01-31-2010, 07:56 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
I think chemistry is not really that important at this point as long as the guy is someone u enjoy. I mean u r not looking for a life partner just a date. Two people getting together for fun. Maybe nothing will come of it, but thats okay too. Welcome to life in the single lane. Do it with gusto!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:02 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
I think chemistry is pretty much immediate. When I met my bf it was and we have been dating for almost four years. Even though we are separated by distance right now, it's still there. I've tried testing the waters a bit and nothing worked.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
I go with the ALMOST immediate if it's going to be there at all. I knew my wife for five years before asking her to join me for a bit of a day trip. I'd been divorced for over two years and this was to be my first foray into socializing since. There was nothing romantic in my reason for inviting her. I simply wanted someone to talk with and spend a bit of pleasant time together. We'd always been able to talk at work.

It didn't quite work that way. The chemistry hit halfway through the day and we both fell in love. Two months later we were married and we've now been together just over 13 years.

If you're not looking for chemistry it might just arrive unbidden anyway. But if it doesn't, enjoy the companionship and leave it at that. There's no law that says casual dating has to be romantic.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 01-31-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-31-2010, 08:16 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I go with the ALMOST immediate if it's going to be there at all. I knew my wife for five years before asking her to join me for a bit of a day trip. I'd been divorced for over two years and this was to be my first foray into socializing since. There was nothing romantic in my reason for inviting her. I simply wanted someone to talk with and spend a bit of pleasant time together. We'd always been able to talk at work.

It didn't quite work that way. The chemistry hit halfway through the day and we both fell in love. Two months later we were married and we've now been together just over 13 years.

If you're not looking for chemistry it might just arrive unbidden anyway But if it doesn't, enjoy the companionship and leave it at that. There's no law that says casual dating has to be romantic.
Wow, Curmudgeon! What a great story! I love it when you post about you and your current wife's romance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships