Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,141 times

Advertisements

whats your new profile look like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 11:23 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
whats your new profile look like?
I basically just got rid of the beginning stuff you added, made myself sound a little more down to earth.

I then included a paragraph saying "I know I bring a lot to the table in terms of a relationship. I'm looking to take another step in my life and I think I can make someone very happy. I've been told that I'm very understanding and I can make the best out of any situation. I'm looking for someone I can develop a strong relationship with that has common interests and values, but can also introduce me to new interests and perceptions. I wouldn't pursue or involve myself with someone unless there's a deep, strong connection. I believe that honesty and communication are most important."

That was what teatime said was lacking most, something along the lines of why I'm on the site, why I'm dating, what I'm looking for. I didn't have anything like that before.

She also said I was attractive but I think she was just being nice...

Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,141 times
cool i like that, worded well. i have something similiar in my "what are you looking for" section.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
So yeah, I had Teatime review my profile and pictures, and I changed just a few things up. She said my pictures were fine, they weren't bad, had a comment about a fashion no-no but w/e. Basically I removed some corny ***** that EP told me to put up in my first paragraph, and I added a short paragraph about what I'm looking for and what I bring to a relationship and I sent out like 4 emails. Got 2 responses back literally in just a few hours. One girl wants to meet this weekend for coffee. What a huge difference. I appreciate you help EP and everything, but I guess some of the stuff I had just wasn't working or was acting as a deterrent. Teatime, I owe you a big thanks.

We'll see how it goes.
You're welcome! I'm glad it's working out well for you!!!! Good luck with the coffee meet-up!

And, no, I wasn't just being nice. You're a good-looking young man! I hope you find someone special.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
theres a reason girls dont post pics on CL
women post their pics on CL all the time

Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I have to say though with CL, you get what you pay for and that is, it is free. Expect people who are broke or like I said "riff raff" because it is a free site. I have used W4M from there many times and yeah, I always get nude pictures sent to me, guys looking for NSA relationships,the generic copy and past response with the quote signs still in it from emailing it so much, and the line "I am not looking for anything serious right now...." email.

I believe many men see online dating as a way to shop for sex or something casual because there are so many people on there. That being said, I have met nice guys who were there to find a relationship.

Had something happen to me a little over a month ago. I saw a guy from Jdate a few times. He told me he didn't want a girlfriend because he was in law school and wanted to concentrate on school. That was fine because I didn't expect it to get serious between us, but I was lonely and did enjoy spending time with him. While seeing him, he ended up getting a girlfriend (saw it on Facebook) and it appears he had been dating her for awhile because it was long distance. I figured out what he was doing. I figured since he was seeing someone long distance, it would be okay to him to find someone local UNTIL it got serious with the other one. I am not upset he rejected me, but I do wish he was upfront and said something like "Look, I am seeing other people right now and I am liking one girl who lives far away". I know many people won't say that, but had he said it, I would have just stopped seeing him from the get go. Maybe it is just me though. I have no problem casually seeing a couple of guys at once because we aren't exclusively dating, and I am fine with them doing the same. However, when I start really liking someone and want it to get a step farther, I do stop seeing the other person because I just want to see the other one.

Best option for men and women that is the most upfront thing to say, state exactly what you are looking for at the moment and if you are hoping something works out with someone else.
You're right he should have been upfront with you, the guy was a jerk. Some guys like to use technicalities or conveniently leave things out to get what they want from women. He was taking advantage of the situation. Remember it's your right to ask questions about things like this. They don't have to answer but it's still your right to ask, if they lie then that shows what type of person they are.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,999 times
I just joined a free dating site and the guy seemed nice but never really told anything about himself. Weird....Anyways....... we exchanged numbers and we agreed to meet for Coffee and when I mentioned a few dates that I had open he said no that cannot work it's my sisters birthday and then I said what about..... and he said no I will be out of town.So finally we go out and he doesn't say much...... I try to pry things out of him and he looks at his phone or looks out the window.We drink our coffees and he said I parked across the street.I wasn't planning on going home with him.So we say our good-byes and I instant message him on my Blackberry Messenger and he said sorry I didn't feel any spark. Which is ok I guess but.....My question is was it a good thing I didn't continue going out with him since he was so secretive and he didn't have a local number ( even weirder) I live in Tenn and he had a NYC number and for someone who just moved wouldn't they have a local number?? Things just aren't adding up. What should I look for when it comes to Online Dating?? I think I just dodged a bullet with the last date. I am new at this...... I recently got out of a relationship 6 months ago and am trying online dating but I hear scary stories.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:20 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheenabobbins View Post
I just joined a free dating site and the guy seemed nice but never really told anything about himself. Weird....Anyways....... we exchanged numbers and we agreed to meet for Coffee and when I mentioned a few dates that I had open he said no that cannot work it's my sisters birthday and then I said what about..... and he said no I will be out of town.So finally we go out and he doesn't say much...... I try to pry things out of him and he looks at his phone or looks out the window.We drink our coffees and he said I parked across the street.I wasn't planning on going home with him.So we say our good-byes and I instant message him on my Blackberry Messenger and he said sorry I didn't feel any spark. Which is ok I guess but.....My question is was it a good thing I didn't continue going out with him since he was so secretive and he didn't have a local number ( even weirder) I live in Tenn and he had a NYC number and for someone who just moved wouldn't they have a local number?? Things just aren't adding up. What should I look for when it comes to Online Dating?? I think I just dodged a bullet with the last date. I am new at this...... I recently got out of a relationship 6 months ago and am trying online dating but I hear scary stories.
Just chalk it up as an experience and move on. He wasn't for you.

As for the NYC number, no, that wouldn't raise any flags with me. Some of my friends have never changed their cell phone numbers from their previous area code. With cell phones, it really doesn't matter and it can be a pain sometimes to get a new number.

I've been doing the online dating thing and haven't had anything "scary" happen. Of course, I'm very selective about whom I answer and even the profiles I look at because, on some sites, simply looking at a profile indicates "interest." They know when you've read their profiles.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
What are your experiences?
I have none.

Haven't played "dating" games since personals were big back in the day of newspapers.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,999 times
Thanks. It was an experience that is for sure..... I am glad I went out and met him although it was experience but with dating and meeting new people I guess some things work some do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships