Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,713,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And if I want chocolate, which I usually do no matter what day of the year it is, I will buy some!
I wait until the 15th when it's all on sale (same with the day after Easter, day after Halloween, day after...). For the same price I can get better chocolate and more of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,362,856 times
I didn't really think that much about Valentine's Day during the 22 years I was single. I am a romantic type guy, but I'm not stupid either......Valentine's Day is about "love" and depending on where my relationship was with a lady, no card saying the word "love", no flowers, but perhaps a nice dinner out. Now, after I met my wife, the romantic part of me REALLY came out on Valentine's Day!! Nice-Beautiful-Loving card (on the computer and bought), roses and dinner out each year for the last 9 years. She deserves it because I love her THAT much!! By the way, we are in our early 60's now, but the romance on that day hasn't stopped!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:37 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,768 times
It can be sad if you want someone in your life there - more noticeably sad because TV and marketing and the media makes a big deal over Valentine's Day and how people should be together, according to them.

I don't know if you want to do this, but have you checked meetup.com for any "single people on Valentine's Day" events in your town? It might be something to do and "revolt" against the commercialization and "should be doings" of the day.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:37 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Its just another day to me, I dont have anyone nor do I cry about it. Usually work and/or family activities keep me too busy to realize what day it is anyway.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,874 times
I didn't really celebrate Valentine's Day until my kids started school. Then I was sort of forced into it. I personally hate the holiday. I think it's dumb. I told my husband to not even bother. I guess I'm not really the romantic type. Anyway now we do the same dinner at home every year. The kids know they are getting shrimp scampi, garlic bread, asparagus, salad and heart shaped brownie sundaes for dessert. They will get a card, a little bit of candy and a stuffed animal. If it weren't for them it would just be another day.

I think it's funny the guy looked at the op in a pitiful way. Some people just can't imagine being alone and don't like it and assume everyone else is the same way. To me, that is pitiful.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:48 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times
Exactly.
Like i said in another thread, i don't get upset on Australia day because I'm not Australian.

I can see how Christmas is a big deal, I've spent a couple of them alone, and it wasn't nice.
But Valentines is a day for lovers. If you don't have a lover, then don't celebrate it.
Celebrate SAD on the 15th instead.

Single's Awareness Day - What is it about and a brief history of Single's Awareness Day

Watch how many of us who have someone get upset because we can't join in.
You might be able to count us on the toes of your left hand.

I don't understand why so many people beat on themselves because they're single.
It's not a sign of personal weakness, or failure, it just means you're single ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
Its just another day to me, I dont have anyone nor do I cry about it. Usually work and/or family activities keep me too busy to realize what day it is anyway.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Would this be your reaction? What are your thoughts on V-Day in general? Personally, I enjoy celebrating it (though I would prefer to do it a day or two before hand, I hate the crowds). I'm just fine if I don't have anyone as well.
Wouldn't be my reaction but fully understand the pity reaction. We're brainwashed from day one with Valentines Day.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,362,856 times
One thing for sure......it's extremely hard to be in a serious/"I love you" type relationship and ignore Valentine's Day!! For some men and women who have a romantic type heart-personality, but have no one, Valentine's Day can be very hard for them to cope. I can understand that! A lot of people don't like hearing "you're suppose to do this, suppose to do that" on anything and especially on Valentine's Day or any other special day like Fathers Day or Mothers Day, but truth is, if you have a "loving" relationship going on or "love" your parents, you should celebrate those days! Birthday's are the same way.......PARTY TIME!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Would this be your reaction? What are your thoughts on V-Day in general? Personally, I enjoy celebrating it (though I would prefer to do it a day or two before hand, I hate the crowds). I'm just fine if I don't have anyone as well.
I think it's sad to be alone on Valentine's Day if you're a person who would rather be spending it with someone else, but otherwise it doesn't matter. Lots of people will be alone on VDay, so it's not exactly the end of the world.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:06 AM

600 posts, read 1,608,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It was worse being married and being alone on holidays than it is being single and being alone.
I agree. It's worse being in a bad relationship and 'faking' it on Vday, than being single and happy. I plan on going to a spa on Vday - I want to show myself how much I love me LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships