Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,211,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
I'm in my mid 40s and married. If I were to end up single I could not see myself with a much younger gal (i.e. in her 20's). A short sexual fling? Sure, you bet. I certainly still find young women physically attractive. But not a younger women for a substantive, enduring relationship. As I have gotten older I have developed an attraction for older women. I find that they often project a certain confidence and wisdom, a "been there, done that" aura of savvy and prowess. Older women can also be very suave flirts. That maturity is a turn on.

Indeed, one of the the interesting things about becoming older is that the pool of women I find attractive has expanded over time. Whereas before I would have never given a gal in her 40's a second look, now I do (while still giving the young hotties a second look, too )
Prof is an equal opportunity ogler these days, huh?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,506,794 times
Default Rare breed of men?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
...I know of two very successful, confident men in their mid 50s who resist advances of younger women, even those they think are attractive. They both say they're just more attracted to women their own age or no younger than their 40s. They both admit they like to look but they know what they want and hold out for it. I didn't believe it at first til I saw it with my own eyes. I didn't think there was a man on earth who could resist someone 20 to 30 years younger than themselves. Could it be I know the only two in existance? Seriously, I wonder if this attitude is more common than we realize.
Mind if I take a stab at it? I'm now in my 60s but was back on the "market" when I was 50 having divorced at 48.

While younger women can decidedly be nice to look at and may be fun to flirt with a bit, if I was ever going to commit again I wanted someone around my own age -- someone who had lived in my world and experienced the same history, social changes, music and movies, historic triumphs and failures, fashions, fads, etc. that I had. In short, someone I could talk to and really communicate with, maybe even understand a little.

I, too, held out. My wife is only two years younger than I am.

By the way, older women are also nice to look at and flirt with a little!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In short, someone I could talk to and really communicate with, maybe even understand a little.
You considered marrying a guy?!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,506,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You considered marrying a guy?!
spiritual

Umm! Not for a nano-second. But that was a good one.

She and I worked in the same field and she was just what I wanted -- my social, intellectual, educational and professional equal. Politics has its own strange language and we both speak it. Besides, she thinks and speaks ;like a man -- short, direct and to the point and above all, logical. That's a rare thing in a woman! Best of all, she hates to shop!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:14 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,388,470 times
Quote:
Thank you for proving my point for the umpteenth time! That babble (even if we leave the fertility-and-reproduction obsession aside) is not about to attract anybody, much less a 24-year-old, even if you look like Adonis!
You mean you figured out I am not trying to attract people? Very perceptive sierra, you cross referenced some of your notes.

Your one line cynical posts are not exactly publish material prose; they are mildly amusing at times perhaps. Its basically a word snipers game that yields the most apparent intelligence with the given resources. If you can't do the quick draw, just snipe from the roof tops. Its basically the best strategy for a schlubbing, overweight food critique who can write a small paragraph about a bisque he could make nothing better than if he dipped a ladle in an algae smothered pond. Who the hell looks like Adonis anyway? But hey, I want you even more now, really.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,861,214 times
Default Will This Thread............

Quote:
Rare breed of men? Would like to hear from 50-something men
also become mainly comments from women telling men what they are supposed to think? Like:

Why don't men pursue women anymore?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...n-anymore.html

Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,861,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd
I didn't think there was a man on earth who could resist someone 20 to 30 years younger than themselves.

Quote:
Well, it kinda depends on what they look like... Many can't even hold a candle to women twice their age and more.
There are women who go for older men because they are not judgmental about their looks like men their own age. Any time I've seen articles about this, I expect such comments from some of the women.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,496,644 times
I see no reason to date a woman too much younger than me. What would we talk about during a nice dinner out? New Kids on the Block? Would she text me from across the table? Could she find Vietnam on a map? Young, firm breasts and a nice,round a** are great. But I need a little mental stimulation too.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Your one line cynical posts are not exactly publish material prose; they are mildly amusing at times perhaps.
Dear, I've been on this forum for over 2 years and I've written everything there is to say on just about any topic. You're right - celebrating Ground Hog day every day is not my thing and now I'm just amusing myself.

Quote:
But hey, I want you even more now, really.
Please don't!

Old 02-25-2010, 06:18 AM

37,652 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Aside from my brothers, whose girlfriends get younger every year and don't fit this mold, I don't know many men but I know of two very successful, confident men in their mid 50s who resist advances of younger women, even those they think are attractive. They both say they're just more attracted to women their own age or no younger than their 40s. They both admit they like to look but they know what they want and hold out for it. I didn't believe it at first til I saw it with my own eyes. I didn't think there was a man on earth who could resist someone 20 to 30 years younger than themselves. Could it be I know the only two in existance? Seriously, I wonder if this attitude is more common than we realize.

I shouldn't have doubted. My sister doesn't believe that I have no desire to ever date a younger man. She's all into that. In her 50s she dates men in their 30s.
One of my previous BF's was 51 - and he wouldn't date anyone under 40. My current BF is almost 10 years younger than I am, and he prefers older women. Doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate the younger ones , but for a relationship, older works best for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships