Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,836,370 times

Advertisements

After spending an evening with a significantly younger crowd a couple weeks ago I noted to my wife yet another difference between us. She leaves feeling 18; I feel as if I'm 75. While I certainly enjoy youthful beauty and listening to their wildly different views of life, after a few minutes a 20 yo simply makes me feel old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:41 AM

796 posts, read 1,847,875 times
I'm married, but if I were single (I'm 43), I wouldn't date men younger than mid-late 30's...preferably 40s-50s. I am so not a cougar...that's not my style...

Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,938,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Mind if I take a stab at it? I'm now in my 60s but was back on the "market" when I was 50 having divorced at 48.

While younger women can decidedly be nice to look at and may be fun to flirt with a bit, if I was ever going to commit again I wanted someone around my own age -- someone who had lived in my world and experienced the same history, social changes, music and movies, historic triumphs and failures, fashions, fads, etc. that I had. In short, someone I could talk to and really communicate with, maybe even understand a little.

I, too, held out. My wife is only two years younger than I am.

By the way, older women are also nice to look at and flirt with a little!
I have to say, I married a man 16 years younger than me and we NEVER ran out of things to talk about. We didn't grow up in the same time frame but we had tons in common anyway. I think maturity and intelligence have a lot to do with it and I was very impressed with him because of those two things. We managed to make it 15 years so I really don't see that many negatives about older/younger relationships. It is a very individual thing. It DID make me much more tolerant of others who chose that route.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:36 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,656,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have to say, I married a man 16 years younger than me and we NEVER ran out of things to talk about. We didn't grow up in the same time frame but we had tons in common anyway. I think maturity and intelligence have a lot to do with it and I was very impressed with him because of those two things. We managed to make it 15 years so I really don't see that many negatives about older/younger relationships. It is a very individual thing. It DID make me much more tolerant of others who chose that route.
Exactly.

People's assumptions are showing when they lay down their laws about inter-generational relationships. They recite their party-line likes and dislikes and find a thousand reasons why "it doesn't work".

As one who has been with ladies 25 years younger as well as 30 years older, I can say that, like you, I found no dearth of interesting conversation nor any emotional limitations.

We are what we are, individually. To try to shoehorn everyone into one category is a sin of the highest order.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:46 AM

20,736 posts, read 19,426,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Dear, I've been on this forum for over 2 years and I've written everything there is to say on just about any topic. You're right - celebrating Ground Hog day every day is not my thing and now I'm just amusing myself.

Please don't!
Don't what? You asked, due to some fear of losing control of your actions and getting tossed of this precious forum, that we simply avoid each other. You keep replying to my posts. Since you usually enjoy personal attacks in ambuscade without meaningful content, it was perfectly agreeable to me.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:08 PM

951 posts, read 1,814,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd
I didn't think there was a man on earth who could resist someone 20 to 30 years younger than themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ
Well, it kinda depends on what they look like... Many can't even hold a candle to women twice their age and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
There are women who go for older men because they are not judgmental about their looks like men their own age. Any time I've seen articles about this, I expect such comments from some of the women.
FFwd 5 years and these guys are the grizzled veterans hanging out at the single men's shelter, pan handling and grabbing a meal from charity. Too old to find work, they lost their house and retirement savings. Everyone now just assumes thay are another alcoholic or a drug addict.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:14 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,298,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
that we simply avoid each other
You're correct. It's just that patience is not one of my greatest virtues. I suppose I can train myself on you!

Old 02-25-2010, 12:48 PM

20,736 posts, read 19,426,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Exactly.

People's assumptions are showing when they lay down their laws about inter-generational relationships. They recite their party-line likes and dislikes and find a thousand reasons why "it doesn't work".

As one who has been with ladies 25 years younger as well as 30 years older, I can say that, like you, I found no dearth of interesting conversation nor any emotional limitations.

We are what we are, individually. To try to shoehorn everyone into one category is a sin of the highest order.

Hi SifuPhil,

As I say, stupidity doesn't age well.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:52 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,656,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi SifuPhil,

As I say, stupidity doesn't age well.
I'll say! It even has trouble blowing out the candles on the cake!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:10 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,574,155 times
I'm in my 50's and I would find it somewhat repugnant to date someone close to my kids' ages. I'd always think I could be dating a girl I coached when my kids were young and that just sounds sick to me. If I were to be dating, I think my window would be plus or minus 10 years from my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships