Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:30 PM

202 posts, read 485,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUINER_SR4 View Post
Yep that's where it gets weird. No animals in the room during romp time!!!

Ok this reminds of one time when me and a ex were doing it on the living room floor. I had one cat, and i noticed the ex jump a bit because the cat had walked up and stuck his nose in his ass crack. LMAO

I have two cats now, but I am a dog person, big time. Cats I can take them or leave them. I have two now because i decided to "rescue" one from the pound, only to find out he had a sister kitty and they had never been apart. The shelter was like, you only have to pay one price if you take them both.

So, now I have two nutjobs. And I am a bit OCD at times so believe me im cleaning the cat box all the time, and they know better than to let me catch them up on the counter or something. They have their spots/cat things in the house that are for them to climb on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 PM

830 posts, read 2,715,340 times
Quote:
I had a teacher in elementary school who had 9 cats (and she was very, very pretty - for the record!); she ended up with that many because she kept finding strays, or people would give her strays because they knew she loved cats. If you take them to the pound, they get put to sleep, and she didn't have the heart to do that.
That sounds like me, the cat lady teacher But the way it works is not so much that people give you cats because they know you love them, it's that they give them to you because they knew you can be easily be emotionally blackmailed into "Take it or I will bring it to the pound to be killed". Since I don't tolerate that outcome, I guess it works for them. And though I'd love to have just 2 or so (never 0!), not one of the ones I have here deserves to be killed at the pound. As far as finding homes, yes, I've done that for the hundreds of the cats/kittens who have been through my home as fosters, but unfortunately there are some cats that are pretty much "unacceptable" to most people - those ones are the ones I still have. Or the ones that got sent back to me after finding homes, sometimes two years or more after the fact.

Quote:
I never said a single bad word about cat rescuers, so please kindly don't put words in my mouth.
I was just telling about the unusual situation when a woman had 47 cats
Nothing hostile meant towards your comment personally in my response, I just get irritated in general about the negative associations of cat ladies, who are so often held in such contempt - or at least snickered about - simply because they take responsibility for what other people create and throw away. A cat lady (or man) is a great thing, in my opinion, and if more people cared enough then I wouldn't have to house as many as I do.

And I've said it before somewhere on this forum, but I'll say it again: if you're actually noticing the cats in the room when you're having sex, then you're doing it wrong. I have to wonder if those people are also the type of people who freak out about a cat or dog watching them go to the bathroom. That's a pretty significant anthropomorphization (like a cat cares what you're doing!) if you ask me, something the anti-animal brigade seems to disparage so much in other contexts.

The other thing that came up over and over again in this thread and every other one like it in this forum is sanitation and hygiene. Which is just so silly. In the years I did cat rescue, hundreds of cats came into and out of my home and I caught exactly one insignificant zoonotic illness in that time. Compared to the dozens of illnesses I've contracted from humans around me in that same time period, particularly the variety of human known as "child", when they did not even live with me, and it quickly becomes apparent that a person is far more at risk from other humans than animals. Give me a bit of food a cat has licked over one a human has licked any day. I'm quite certain my house full of cats (and a dog) has fewer dangerous microbes than my kindergarten classroom at work. A cat on my counter? Whoop-de-doo. I wouldn't eat anything directly off my counter anyway, even if I didn't have cats. I toss my dirty old keys there, for one. And that's got nothing on the table I caught one of my students "cleaning" with a saliva-covered hand a couple of weeks ago, or even my doorknob.

Anyway, I'm just glad that in real life I haven't met nearly as many people with outrageous distaste for cats and the people who care for them as I see so often on this forum. But the sample here is a bit skewed anyway - look at some of the other topics and issues folks have. :lol

Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,567,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
That sounds like me, the cat lady teacher But the way it works is not so much that people give you cats because they know you love them, it's that they give them to you because they knew you can be easily be emotionally blackmailed into "Take it or I will bring it to the pound to be killed". Since I don't tolerate that outcome, I guess it works for them. And though I'd love to have just 2 or so (never 0!), not one of the ones I have here deserves to be killed at the pound. As far as finding homes, yes, I've done that for the hundreds of the cats/kittens who have been through my home as fosters, but unfortunately there are some cats that are pretty much "unacceptable" to most people - those ones are the ones I still have. Or the ones that got sent back to me after finding homes, sometimes two years or more after the fact.

Nothing hostile meant towards your comment personally in my response, I just get irritated in general about the negative associations of cat ladies, who are so often held in such contempt - or at least snickered about - simply because they take responsibility for what other people create and throw away. A cat lady (or man) is a great thing, in my opinion, and if more people cared enough then I wouldn't have to house as many as I do.

And I've said it before somewhere on this forum, but I'll say it again: if you're actually noticing the cats in the room when you're having sex, then you're doing it wrong. I have to wonder if those people are also the type of people who freak out about a cat or dog watching them go to the bathroom. That's a pretty significant anthropomorphization (like a cat cares what you're doing!) if you ask me, something the anti-animal brigade seems to disparage so much in other contexts.

The other thing that came up over and over again in this thread and every other one like it in this forum is sanitation and hygiene. Which is just so silly. In the years I did cat rescue, hundreds of cats came into and out of my home and I caught exactly one insignificant zoonotic illness in that time. Compared to the dozens of illnesses I've contracted from humans around me in that same time period, particularly the variety of human known as "child", when they did not even live with me, and it quickly becomes apparent that a person is far more at risk from other humans than animals. Give me a bit of food a cat has licked over one a human has licked any day. I'm quite certain my house full of cats (and a dog) has fewer dangerous microbes than my kindergarten classroom at work. A cat on my counter? Whoop-de-doo. I wouldn't eat anything directly off my counter anyway, even if I didn't have cats. I toss my dirty old keys there, for one. And that's got nothing on the table I caught one of my students "cleaning" with a saliva-covered hand a couple of weeks ago, or even my doorknob.

Anyway, I'm just glad that in real life I haven't met nearly as many people with outrageous distaste for cats and the people who care for them as I see so often on this forum. But the sample here is a bit skewed anyway - look at some of the other topics and issues folks have. :lol
Keep doing what you're doing! I'm not a cat person but I would never wish one harm. I spent years volunteering at an animal shelter (working around dogs, cats, hamsters, rats, even a pig) and have never caught any disease. I did recently catch pink eye from someone who came to work with it, though. I'll take my chances with animals any day. LOL

Two dogs is not enough for me but that is my limit right now. Some day I will have more. If people feel I live in a zoo, they are free not to visit.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 PM

830 posts, read 2,715,340 times
Yep, ringworm and pinkeye... some of the most delicious illnesses I've caught from members of my fellow species, that species that is so superior to all of the others.

The comment I always get when I warn people how many cats I have before bringing them into the house goes something like "Oh, this is what [that number] looks like? That's not bad at all". And I'm not an OCD cleaner either, my house is what I'd consider average cleanliness.

Actually, since several of mine are feral, the casual stopper-by doesn't even get a good count of them. They're under the bed or something. You have to hang out for awhile to get a good count and differentiate the 3 orange ones from each other (they look nothing alike to me, but they all look alike to those not in the know about cats!). Most visitors become quite amused with trying to remember the names of each cat.

Now the boyfriend: up until recently he had as many chickens in his kitchen (babies he was brooding inside until they were fully feathered!) as I have cats in my entire house. At his work desk he's got a picture of me and him, one of his cats, one of his dog, and one of his best looking chicken. That's my kinda guy!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Yep, ringworm and pinkeye... some of the most delicious illnesses I've caught from members of my fellow species, that species that is so superior to all of the others.

The comment I always get when I warn people how many cats I have before bringing them into the house goes something like "Oh, this is what [that number] looks like? That's not bad at all". And I'm not an OCD cleaner either, my house is what I'd consider average cleanliness.

Actually, since several of mine are feral, the casual stopper-by doesn't even get a good count of them. They're under the bed or something. You have to hang out for awhile to get a good count and differentiate the 3 orange ones from each other (they look nothing alike to me, but they all look alike to those not in the know about cats!). Most visitors become quite amused with trying to remember the names of each cat.

Now the boyfriend: up until recently he had as many chickens in his kitchen (babies he was brooding inside until they were fully feathered!) as I have cats in my entire house. At his work desk he's got a picture of me and him, one of his cats, one of his dog, and one of his best looking chicken. That's my kinda guy!
He sounds like a catch!

I have some dog friends who are trying to get down to single digits. LOL It happens when you rescue...hard to say no when you know they will die otherwise.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,364,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I like cats ok, but the bolded part, no. I am an animal lover, but I know the difference in animals and children. It annoys me to be around people that dont know the difference.
wellll, I know the difference, but-
my living room looks like a Kindergarten from all the toys.. and there are no children here...
and typical communication often goes "Mummy wuvvvs the wittums..."
I only have one cat

Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,985,552 times
I like cats.
I would date someone who has multiple cats.
I know someone who I find attractive who has multiple cats.
But she is not interested in me.

Oh well.
Such is life.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:18 PM

22,390 posts, read 29,516,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
my living room looks like a Kindergarten from all the toys.. and there are no children here...
I only have one cat

You sound exactly like me except I talk to my cat in normal voice and I swear he understands certain words as he responds!

Old 03-24-2010, 05:40 PM

112 posts, read 141,015 times
I think its Weird, Pets are horrible never understood why so many people have fascination with them.. they smell get hair everywhere and just annoying , i dont mind petting a bird or rabbit or something for a few minutes but thats it im fed up of them lol.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I only have one cat
I will admit to a "momma loves you" every now and then okay every day. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships