Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 07:39 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,193,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
A male critter who doesn't even cover his own expenses IS most definitely a tosser! Now, if you go for sugar mammas who for some unknown reason are enamored by you, then it's her business what she does and you can fully enjoy it, but refrain from recommending it to men.
OK, but that is not the case with me. She paid for it, cos she asked me out and she wanted to pay for it, despite only going out to the local pub or other cheap places. Now I pay for most things, and I treat her a lot of times.

A lot of people here are quick to jump on someones throat and call them cheap and tossers just because they done something different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
If the guy doesn't want to pay for dinner, perhaps he should only have invited the gal out for coffee?

If he's inviting for dinner, he's gonna pick up the tab. It would be expected by me. Anything less and I go home in a taxi...alone...with no chance of a repeat date. Period.
I did not invite her. She invited me out. These days a lot of women ask men out. I've experienced that a lot.

Deary me.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:42 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
OK, but that is not the case with me. She paid for it, cos she asked me out and she wanted to pay for it, despite only going out to the local pub or other cheap places. Now I pay for most things, and I treat her a lot of times.

A lot of people here are quick to jump on someones throat and call them cheap and tossers just because they done something different.
Wish I could rep you for that, but I guess I did it too much in another thread.

Quote:
I'm sorry...isn't this a conversational type of thread? Did you want no responses to your post, or only responses that agreed with your point of view?
Disagree all you want, but I expect to be addressed in a more mature manner without the name calling, but I guess that's too much to ask for. No worries.

2,618 posts, read 6,164,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
The whole thing is silly. It's ridiculous to expect a man to pay for all these dinners for random first dates. The dh and I rarely go out to eat, but we did as a treat the other night. It was $140 and this wasn't fine dining. I don't see how people can date like that or why such an expense is an expectation.
Exactly, which is why for the first date/first meeting when I don't know anything about this person, I keep it to meetin for a DRINK or COFFEE.

If it goes bad, I'm paying for two drinks, mine and hers. If it goes well, which it did last time as we talked for almsot 4 hours, then it's $20 tops for like 6 drinks. No harm no foul. But the second date, I always offer, and if she wants to split I'm cool, but I couldn't live with myself if I let her pay for all of it.

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post

A relationship in which only the woman asks the guy out for a month is quite strange...

Dorrans, that's not the first time you've been very vocal on the subject. You just ARE cheap. If it works for you, more power to you. It doesn't work for most.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
A relationship in which only the woman asks the guy out for a month is quite strange...

Dorrans, that's not the first time you've been very vocal on the subject. You just ARE cheap. If it works for you, more power to you. It doesn't work for most.
I am not cheap. And I love how you come to conclusion without even knowing me.

In Britain most women I know don't care about this stuff. We evidently have different etiquettes here. Its an American thing I guess to constantly be concerned about the man paying and all that. I mean, we don't even go on official dates here like you guys do. We just call each other and ask if we wanna hang out for a drink. But hey, if it isnt the American way then it's wrong.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:46 PM

548 posts, read 1,252,175 times
Quote:
You're right! It's about respect.

If the guy you are dating doesn't have enough respect for you to pick up the check, he's a tosser!
Like it or not, some people are more traditional when it comes to this situation. Most men will insist on paying.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
Like it or not, some people are more traditional when it comes to this situation. Most men will insist on paying.
Are you traditional by staying at home cooking meals for your man everyday and submitting to him? I've paid for stuff many times in the past and I will do so in the future if I need to. I've never had a problem paying for anyone when we are out. Never.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
I guess my question was overlooked, so I will ask it again. If men are expected to always do the asking and paying to show their respect for you, how do you show your respect for them? I'm genuinely curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships