Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times

Advertisements

If he feels like his clock is ticking at 21, he's going to be in for a shock when he reaches 40! His clock is going to feel like a stop-watch in fast forward. You're boyfriend needs to have some of these conversations with elders. Tell him to stop by a retirement home or VA hospital and ask these senior citizens what they think about his "clock ticking" at 21...they could use a good laugh too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Mines been ticking the last couple of years (I'm 31), so yes men have em.
Not sure I want to take that on though

Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_garbs View Post
I never would have thought that men have "biological clocks" or as people say it that their "clock is ticking."

I am 21 years old, going on 22 in July. I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years as of March 16th, 2010.

Basically...he suggested starting a family. He is 22, going on 23 August 4th. He said he feels like his "clock is ticking."

Is that common for men? Never knew men thought that way. thought women were more the type who were the ones to be prepared for parenthood first.

The thing is, I don't think I want to start a family anytime soon. I have expressed this to him, and I can see the hurt in his eyes and in his tone.

Would a situation like this be a dealbreaker for you?

and you men say us women are so complicated. bah! lol.
It's more common than you think.
40% of all infertility that couples experience is due to the man. So, yes, men can experience infertility, it can happen at all ages, sometimes the causes are genetic, sometimes they are due to physiological deformities. Most can be corrected with medical intervention, some cannot.

Don't rush into having a child just because he wants it. The best way to bring a child into the world, is both parents want it and are willing to sacrifice to take care of it. Raising a child is no walk in the park, it is alot of work. Ask your guy if he's prepared to wake up at 1:30 in the morning to feed it or change it's diaper. Is he prepared to do this again at 3:30AM the same morning, because infants typically eat every 2-3 hours in the first few months of life. Is he ready to comfort it, swaddle it, rock it when he doesn't know whats wrong and the kid is crying incessantly, then it turns out the kid has colic, but he won't know that because the kid isn't able to talk, it just CRIES and LOUDLY for minutes at a time (feels like an eternity)!!! Is he ready to bathe it, and it cries, because what feels warm to you, is freezing to the baby. Is he ready for the financial expense - take a walk through Babies R US - get ready for sticker shock, kids need ALOT. Better yet, will you be breast feeding or formula fed? Breast feeding is an experience because the infant will be literally attached to you. Formula fed = $$$, it's not cheap. In the first few months of life, here's the key, if the kid cries it usually means 3 things - Feed Me, Change my Diaper, I have GAS and need comfort. The kid rarely cries before drifting off to sleep.

When you are both ready for that, then you're ready to have a kid.

Enjoy your early twenties.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, I meant that men's testosterone levels cycled during the day, and through the seasons.

Men's testosterone levels are highest in the AM - don't you know this?
Also, drop when he get's older like 50 and up, but not to the extent that his libido goes away. Besides, today, they have all kinds of "aids" to help.
They drop naturally when the woman is pregnant or he's not feeling well.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:37 AM

21 posts, read 56,857 times
I know how much everything cost. My mom just had a baby boy- he is two months. I help her with everything He does want to get married. Plus buy a house. Its just funny that he acts like an elder already.

I should make him have conversations with some people in the nursing homes. They would get a good laugh from him. I am not big on marriage right now. I am in pharmacy school, still got 3 years to go!! Everyone has a different opinion though, I assume.

He is ready for parenthood now, supposedly. I am not. I don't feel pressured either and he does not pressure me either. He talks about it a lot though. Its very hard with Lourezno (my baby brother.) Why would I want to bring a baby into the world right now? I am not ready money wise or career wise. I rather have my career set in place.

but does this create a dealbreaker?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I know how much everything cost. My mom just had a baby boy- he is two months. I help her with everything He does want to get married. Plus buy a house. Its just funny that he acts like an elder already.

I should make him have conversations with some people in the nursing homes. They would get a good laugh from him. I am not big on marriage right now. I am in pharmacy school, still got 3 years to go!! Everyone has a different opinion though, I assume.

He is ready for parenthood now, supposedly. I am not. I don't feel pressured either and he does not pressure me either. He talks about it a lot though. Its very hard with Lourezno (my baby brother.) Why would I want to bring a baby into the world right now? I am not ready money wise or career wise. I rather have my career set in place.

but does this create a dealbreaker?
If he loves you, he will wait. What's the dealbreaker? - life is about compromising. It's totally selfish of him to keep talking about this clock ticking, unless he knows something and isn't telling you.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM

21 posts, read 56,857 times
that is what i figured. It would be selfish. I just know a lot of people, especially in this day and age are selfish.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:32 AM

42 posts, read 162,331 times
Quote:
I never would have thought that men have "biological clocks" or as people say it that their "clock is ticking."

I am 21 years old, going on 22 in July. I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years as of March 16th, 2010.

Basically...he suggested starting a family. He is 22, going on 23 August 4th. He said he feels like his "clock is ticking."

Is that common for men? Never knew men thought that way. thought women were more the type who were the ones to be prepared for parenthood first.

The thing is, I don't think I want to start a family anytime soon. I have expressed this to him, and I can see the hurt in his eyes and in his tone.

Would a situation like this be a dealbreaker for you?

and you men say us women are so complicated. bah! lol.
LOL.. I posted a question similar to this.. try being in your 30's and dealing with hearing the "clock"...tick tock tick tock (I took my batteries out of my clock in my 20s, popped it back in a year or so ago............... ANYWAY..
If YOU aren't ready to start a family with him, DONT! It would be the worst thing you could ever possibly do, you are both very young, and really have your 20s to go out and see the world, get to know who you are as a person...... its something he will have to understand and if he loves you he will wait when you are ready to start a family, .... For me personally, the 20 year old Tiffany was a lot different than the 30year old Tiffany, and Im not saying that 20 somethings shouldn't get married/have kids because each person is different, but usually more often than not, the people you date, what you look for in a mate in your 20's in TOTALLY different than the person and things you look for in a significant other when you are in your 30's..there is also more to being in love to have kids as well, are you and boyfriend, financially and emotionally ready to raise kids? That was another reason way up until a few years ago never wanted kids, I wasnt ready yet financially and I really loved being single and not having to worry about taking care of a kid.... if he loves ya, he will wait.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,266 times
Damn, hes 22 and wants kids now? Does he not have any goals, ambitions or experiences he wants to complete before he has children?

No offense but thats just crazy. I want children but at 22? Hell no, live for yourself a little first.

Also, don't let him talk you into doing something you don't want to do either.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
that is what i figured. It would be selfish. I just know a lot of people, especially in this day and age are selfish.
Ash---------------------FINISH SCHOOL BEFORE BABIES! That is your dream! Make your dream a reality then you can have a family. Raising kids is SO much easier when you can afford it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships