Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:20 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It's only relevant in defining what you meant by the term. That's all.

Some women expect marriage, when a guy might merely offer long-term commitment. That's why I asked.

Question answered--thank you.
I'm 40 years old, and very realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 AM

930 posts, read 2,423,693 times
Yes based on your pic, you really do have a lot of options, especially for the quick bang. So I agree with you there. But it all comes down to where are you meeting these men? If you want someone relationship minded, he is most likely at a Bible Study, Church on Sunday, or volunteering on the playground at a gradeschool or coaching little league. Try different churches within your denomination. Consider moving to a city where men outnumber the women. NYC isn't it.

You face serious challenges as most men capable of committment by age 45-50 are already committed. But once you find that keeper, hold onto him. And don't let your standards for looks and success slide either. You will be disappointed with that eventually. And for heaven's sake....be agressive. Guys love having hot women pursue them.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:00 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Yes based on your pic,
Sorry, but where is this pic that everyone is talking about?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Yes based on your pic, you really do have a lot of options, especially for the quick bang. So I agree with you there. But it all comes down to where are you meeting these men? If you want someone relationship minded, he is most likely at a Bible Study, Church on Sunday, or volunteering on the playground at a gradeschool or coaching little league. Try different churches within your denomination. Consider moving to a city where men outnumber the women. NYC isn't it.

You face serious challenges as most men capable of committment by age 45-50 are already committed. But once you find that keeper, hold onto him. And don't let your standards for looks and success slide either. You will be disappointed with that eventually. And for heaven's sake....be agressive. Guys love having hot women pursue them.
Actually my preference is for people around my age, 40. Not that the pickens are any better there! I have a very strong aversion to churches so that's not going to happen. But I see your point about activities in which healthy, well-rounded people participate.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Sorry, but where is this pic that everyone is talking about?
My profile pic is what people are talking about, I guess. It's not the greatest shot though!

In a normal world - such as 80s to early 90s, I would be considered solidly average in terms of physical looks. Some might rate me a little higher, some a little lower based on preference. But the world isn't normal anymore, most people in my demographic are fat and sloppy looking, which I think makes me look a little better.

I think it is crazy that the average woman 10 years younger than I looks physically worse than me. But again that isn't because I'm so hot, its because most people just don't seem to care about staying physically fit.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
This is very sad. I don't doubt the truth behind what you are saying, but its very sad. I walked out of my marriage flat broke, and had to pay off my husband. I don't blame every other man on the planet for it though.

Frankly, a man who is that mad about his already-ended marriage is not the type I want to date. He's sad, bitter and jaded. He could check in with me once he put his own life into perspective.
I agree. Consider though that the guys might just be "burned out" and don't have the emotional capacity for a deep relationship at that point.

I mean, if I were to remarry and be widowed again around age 50....I might just be reluctant to get seriously involved just to get hurt again.

It's not necessarily that they hate or distrust women, they just don't want to get hurt again. You went quite a while without a serious relationship correct? There can be lots of reasons for this, the forum is covered with them.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:38 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
My profile pic is what people are talking about, I guess. It's not the greatest shot though!

In a normal world - such as 80s to early 90s, I would be considered solidly average in terms of physical looks. Some might rate me a little higher, some a little lower based on preference. But the world isn't normal anymore, most people in my demographic are fat and sloppy looking, which I think makes me look a little better.

I think it is crazy that the average woman 10 years younger than I looks physically worse than me. But again that isn't because I'm so hot, its because most people just don't seem to care about staying physically fit.
Anyone that has been to a 20+ year class reunion knows the truth of this statement. People can coast on looks up until around age 30 then hard-living and not taking care of yourself starts to take it's toll.

I know guys around 40 with diabetes, intestinal problems, gout and other chronic health issues.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:38 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
Sorry I didn't see that... I actually like it. I can't really see your face but I can say you have a very attractive figure.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 AM

6,743 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
I've only attracted men who want to have sex with me right away.
well, that's most of us who you'd want to have sex with, the "wait it out" crowd is sitting in their mother's basement right now

my girlfriend and I had sex on the first date, and now we're engaged

most of us are not from 1955, my respect for women is based on what it's their head not whether they wait until date #1 or date #6, I have a high sex drive and wanted to meet someone who also wanted a physical relationship, plus she wanted to see what she was getting - so worked out well for both of us

Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 AM

6,743 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
Never in this thread did I ask why men don't want to settle down.

The only men I have openly asked about are the men who DO want to settle down.
not that easy though

I'm late 30s, so a little under your age group, but lifestyles probably aren't terribly different

I have a sister and brother-in-law who live 20 miles away, with a niece and nephew I see often - my desire for a long-term relationship has been very low, because I don't like commitment and I've got family nearby that fills any need for kids, etc

but met someone who knew how to commit without suffocating me and letting me still do my thing, plus had an unusual amount in common, so in part it's up to you to find someone who fits what you want, not to assume wanting to settle down is fixed in any guy's mind - if you talked to me a year ago, would have told you I'd be ready to get married around 60, now I'll be married before 40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships