Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
I agree she put in qualifiers, Big foot. Some people will do this to leave themselves an out when push comes to shove. It is subtle form of a verbal/attack escape route. By only marginally being less than absolute in a stated view you can then fall back with out admitting error. For after all did you not make any errors. The other person must have made the error by not totally understanding all the ramifications of your viewpoint. I will admit I use some of the various techniques myself from time to time. Though if caught I do grin and own up to it. I consider that response required if you are not out just to hurt someone.

There is quite a good book called the Gentle art of Verbal Self defense, That I reccomend highly to anyone in relationships. It will help out those folks that live in abusive relationship to understand some of the things that are being done to them and how to respond to a verbal aggressor.

I agree with you that some people do this as a way of leaving "outs" should push come to shove. However, I have also noted (and have stated in these very forums) my observations of the tendency people at large have of actually preferring exception over rule, as though exception negates rule.

I could say that people need to eat and someone WOULD argue based on the Indian yogi who recently claimed not to have eaten or drunk for 70 years. That is, of course, an extreme example; however, that really IS how ENOUGH people are to make it a readily observable phenomena; yet still, people will rail against it.

Quite honestly, if you read back through the way the whole thing got started it becomes pretty clear to me what she meant and I do NOT believe she was merely giving herself "outs" in case someone shoved. Still, people are entitled to their opinions and ultimately that's all which can be said; anything more is semantic noise.

Many years ago there was a series -- it was so long ago I cannot even recall the title, and the series failed after just two episodes anyway -- but I recall laughing at the absurdity even as a ten-year-old boy.

In a boardroom several men in suits were discussing a crisis which had arisen regarding a hostile takeover. The suggestion was brought up that the hostile corporation in question appeared to have insider information and one of the chief board members said "I've long feared that some of the people on this board had questionable motives."

Another board member turned and vehemently said "Are you accusing me of being homosexual?!?"

The first boardmember looked aghast and said "What...?" while the "offended" party continued to rail against him for his homophobic stance and his unprofessional display for bringing up such a thing during this crisis.

Honestly, that's the way I see a lot of conversations go; perhaps a ludicrous illustration fraught with hyperbole, but applicable more often than I care for nevertheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
You can't be intelligent and watch shows like TMZ? What if she flips to the History Channel after TMZ is over?
lol...I am going to say enjoying a show like TMZ is a deal breaker for me.

Maybe I am picky though!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Are you attracted to intelligence?

Meh....just be somewhere between "Obama" and "Ricky Bobby" and I can work with it!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:54 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Yes! I am very much attracted to intelligent men. Total turn-on for me! I like a good sense of humor, too, albeit not sophomoric.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:56 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I dispute that society is not anti-intellectual.

American Idol is seen as an example of a low-brow interest activity. Opera typically is not.

Most persons also don't have opinions on things deemed high-brow.
LOL.... I have fallen into the same trap on occasion, assuming what "most" people believe or don't believe. It is unfortunate that so many are afraid to say what they really believe or feel, however. What comes out of many folks' mouths isn't necessarily what they really feel, once you get to know them and can trust that you won't think them "low brow" for their opinions. Again, this is based on my personal life experience. Many folks give an initial answer, based on what they "believe" will cause you to think most favorably of them.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
For me, it's all about the brain. That's the part I will fall in love with.

Over time, looks will fade. For all of us.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I agree with you that some people do this as a way of leaving "outs" should push come to shove. However, I have also noted (and have stated in these very forums) my observations of the tendency people at large have of actually preferring exception over rule, as though exception negates rule.

I could say that people need to eat and someone WOULD argue based on the Indian yogi who recently claimed not to have eaten or drunk for 70 years. That is, of course, an extreme example; however, that really IS how ENOUGH people are to make it a readily observable phenomena; yet still, people will rail against it.

Quite honestly, if you read back through the way the whole thing got started it becomes pretty clear to me what she meant and I do NOT believe she was merely giving herself "outs" in case someone shoved. Still, people are entitled to their opinions and ultimately that's all which can be said; anything more is semantic noise.

I see you are skilled in Verbal Judo yourself.

The use of "ENOUGH people", "Quite honestly, if", "people are entitled" and the really good use of "the tendency people at large have" are making use of several higher verbal sparring modes (much beyond the simpler modes discussed in the book I mentioned). Trained in Rhetoric or just natuarly talented? I think I would be wise to not take on a opponent of your caliber.

I just will stick to beating up the defenseless.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:04 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Yeah, I like intellegence, I would prefer that it not be "over-spiced" with arrogance, but, if that's the only way I can get it, I'll take it. Certainly in the work world I have plenty of egotistical but extremely well-educated, intellegent, and EFFECTIVE colleages. If you MAKE the touchdown, I am not going to object if you party in the endzone. I would prefer you didn't, but making the touchdown is what matters.

DW is brainy, that's not all she brings to the table, but it's an important part.

I have to note the Russian gals all are "for" a brainy guy. This is probably a big contributor to why I ended up with a Ukrainian wife. A lot of Amerikankas who dated me for a while considered me "too much of a brain". To me this is a put-down I'll take square on the chin with pride, as perhaps the only real complement they had to offer me. "Too smart" in my book is like "too rich" - it does not even make any sense.

The few "dumb but hot" gals I dated, after a while it didn't work. I remember going to pick out a DVD with one - I'm over looking in the foreign films, she's paying attention to "what's popular". Serious mismatch.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
A smart, sharp and witty person with a keen mind is a sexy quality to me. Voice is sexy too, especially the British accent. I'm talking about a man or woman who is always quick with an intelligent response. No "ummmmms.........". How do you feel about this? Does it do anything for you?

Despite being a really nice person, if they were just plain stupid, would it attract you?
"ummms.." indicates a very thoughtful person, by the way.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I dispute that society is not anti-intellectual.

American Idol is seen as an example of a low-brow interest activity. Opera typically is not.

Most persons also don't have opinions on things deemed high-brow.
It is what makes us so different and "vaguely" unique. If stupid people only liked one type of music and "book-learned" people liked one other type of music, we'd be awfully limited to what we can listen to, wouldn't we? Aren't a lot of folks simply interested in and/or opinionated in what they're interested in, simply because it interests or intrigues them? It's a matter of personal opinion, whether it's low-brow or high-brow, isn't it?

Honestly, I'm not looking to be argumentative, but classifications always irritate me just a little, and I do confess that I have done it myself (hangs head in shame)....LOL

Back to the original question at hand though...I'd have to say that having a passion for intelligence in many areas is far more of a turn on than someone who has been "deemed" to be intelligent. Sharing information with intelligent people is stimulating. I love how another person put it, "Verbal intercourse". That even SOUNDS hot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships