Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
It sort of is and sort of isn't. You say you don't know what we evolved from but except the fact that we evolved and believe that our closest relatives are apes. I guess the question is why DON'T you believe that we evolved from apes then? I suppose thats the question that has me puzzled.
Because we were singled out to be the species capable of reason and intellect, going beyond our basic animal instincts. That's what I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:59 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
This will surprise you but I believe in evolution after God created man. How else can you explain the vast varieties of humans, and all living things and I do not think that goes against what the bible says. I also believe the world and the universe are much older than some are saying but there is nothing in the bible that says how old the universe is. It is speculation based on the genealogy of the bible. The problem with that is they do not know how long people lived or how many times man has been nearly wiped out.
There are no vast varieties of humans. All humans are Homo sapiens. Why do you not believe in evolution in one instance then and believe it for every other instance? The bible says that god created all animals in the seas and on land and created man. Why do you believe the part about god creating man but not god creating everything else? Here is the part of the bible that says it all, its from Genesis

Quote:
[SIZE=2]And God said, "Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the firmament of the heavens." 21 So God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 And God blessed them, saying, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth." 23 And there was evening and there was morning, a fifth day. 24 And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds." And it was so. 25 And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds and the cattle according to their kinds, and everything that creeps upon the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth." 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
[/SIZE]

Old 06-27-2010, 12:02 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
The Christian faith has been divided since ages ago. Christianity has at least 10 major denominations. And they all believe the same junk IMHO.

Quote:
Are you tired of being maligned, discredited and abused?

Are you tired of seeing our faith trampled on daily and our values constantly called into question?

Are you tired of the constant attacks on the symbols and customs of our faith?

Are you tired if being tied to the Fred Phelps' and Hitler's of this world?

Are you tired of being told that your faith has no scientific basis and that man came from monkeys, swamp scum or whatever?

What do you think?

Old 06-27-2010, 12:04 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Reason doesn't have a "who" attached to it, it's for everybody.
Sure, depending on your perspective. Right now not all scientist believe everything that all scientists believe, I hope that made sense.
Quote:
If we found out that aliens populated this planet 300,000 years ago and there was scientific proof, are you saying that even under those conditions, Christianity would not need to keep up?
That has not happened so there is no need to debate it. I would think that if that were to happen that those aliens would be God and the Angels.
Quote:
Christians adhere to their faith as if it was factual, which is not the best way to respond to life. Life throws curves, it requires people sometimes abandon their most personal beliefs in order to grow.
I have changed on many things but God has not, there is no reason for him to do so like myself but I am only human.
Quote:
For Christianity to resist any outside influences only serves to both obsolete and destroy itself.
Why?
Quote:
And yes, I do believe that "being tired" of "constant" attacks IS being defensive.
You do, I don't, we all see things slightly to very differently.
Quote:
Finally, so much is going to happen in such a short period of time, that anyone on this planet who clings to their beliefs without assimilating new data, new facts, new revelations, will certainly not be invited to the next phase. Obviously, I have different "religious" views of what's going on nowadays.
What are you talking about specifically, even if it is just one thing? And I am always open to new data, I may just not choose to believe it or I may depending on what it is. Like I said before, There is one most important thing to me and that is having the faith and the belief that Jesus is my Savior. I can be flexible to a point after that.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The Christian faith has been divided since ages ago. Christianity has at least 10 major denominations. And they all believe the same junk IMHO.
Man in his imperfection, can certainly go in different directions but God is always constant.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:07 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Being a Christian in America I do not worry too much about the attacks. But if you ask people in Poland they will tell you their Christian faith had been under attack and it started with laws saying they had to take down anything that was Christian. Crosses and anything that showed the Christian religion. Most of that country is Catholic and or Christian. Finally they could not even go to church. They finally had to stand up to the government both for their way of life and for their religion.

It happened the same way for Jews. They had to hide their religion and were finally restricted to ghettos. You can see what came from that.

The protests now in our country not to display religious symbols on buildings and public places just may be the start of intolerance for any religion. For now I am secure it won't come to the restrictions that happened in other countries but one never knows and should be on top of things to be sure it doesn't go that way.

I feel confident America is too free to let it happen but people in other countries have been lulled into the false assumption it would not happen to them, not in their country and it did.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:09 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I have no idea what you are talking about or what your point is.

Quote:
Man in his imperfection, can certainly go in different directions but God is always constant.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I think some Christians actually LIKE all that stuff. They think that it proves they are doing something right. Plus it gets them noticed. Can't be a martyr if nobody cares. . Note: I said SOME.

Science doesn't say we evolved from monkeys. This is why some christians need to pay attention in science class.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:16 AM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
First of all, give me an example of the hypocricy to which you speak and secondly, this is a perfect example of what I was saying in the OP. Just because there is a nut out their claiming to be a Christian while acting like anything but does not mean he represents all Christians. Furthermore, Christians being the sinners we are makes us incapable of being perfect always subjected to being called hypocritical.

Going to church on Sunday is akin to going to school, it is to learn, also to fellowship, and to worship. It never has and it never will make a perfect Christian.

no, not all christians behave in an unchristian like manner. just like not all catholic priest are pedophiles. with that being said there are pedophile priest, just as there are christains, that through the week, cheat on their spouses, beat their kids, take the lord's name in vain and all kinds of things that are not in keeping with being a good christian. they go to church on sunday, ask forgiveness and start all over on monday being a jerk. they don't really change just keep going to chruch.

saying people are sinners and no one is perfect is BS unless you really try to be a good person and many people don't. they just go to church for the free pass. you might try to learn from your mistakes but many don't.

it is also very difficult to handle the superiority of some christian churches who think and say "their" church is the right church. their god is the right one, better than a god of another religion. do you think that one belief in a god is better than another?

for an atheist it is hard to take seriously a faith in something you can't prove. like the easter bunny or the tooth fairy it is hard to imagine so many people putting so much faith into stories that have been passed down through the years.

very difficult too, for a non believer to listen to someone question their goodness as a human being by a christain simply because they don't believe as the christian does. many times I have seen on this forum, people being question about their morality and ideas of right and wrong because they have no religious base.

I think religion is fine but I also think it is a personal thing and I find it very offensive when people try to round up others by either knocking on the door or people who want to minister to you. do they think they are the only ones that have a belief, they give no one credit for already having a faith? why do they want you to change your belief to theirs?

when churches stop building huge mega churches and start using their millions to feed the poor and help the homeless, do more charity work in the community (to earn their tax exempt state) I will have kinder words for them

I could go on and on but you get the picture. just a lot of inconsistencies with religion in general hence the insults

Old 06-27-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
It sort of is and sort of isn't. You say you don't know what we evolved from but except the fact that we evolved and believe that our closest relatives are apes. I guess the question is why DON'T you believe that we evolved from apes then? I suppose thats the question that has me puzzled.
To my knowledge, the missing link has never been found and it never will because there is no link. Species can evolve based on their environment, accident(mutations), or interference by man. There are humans that are two feet tall and humans that are eight feet tall and come in many colors and varieties. Because we all came from Adam and Eve, we must have evolved, there is no other explanation. Dogs are extremely varied due to man as one example.

The Bible does not say that God is still creating things on this earth. We have lost unknown amounts of species and yet there seems to be more and more all the time. I think God created a basic group of all species and everything has evolved from them. Tell me how that does not square from the bible or science?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality