Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Atheism doesn't say everything just appeared without any explanation. It says that we don't currently know how it began.
That leaves the door open to a God. I don't think atheism says that. Aren't they strongly opposed to any idea of God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yes, absolutely I dismiss it; it contains fables, urban legends, completely outrageous accounts of impossible events (the ark for example), and is polluted throughout by the delusions, agendas, and grudges of every person that penned a single passage in it. Then further polluted during translations, rewrites, updates, etc.

So yes, your proof holds no water.
I see you did not read what I posted about the bible either. Seems you do not want to know anything about the bible unless it is bad.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Wrong...Atheists do not say there is no possibility of a god, just that it is highly unlikely...I thought you had been here long enough to understand what atheism actually is. Theists on the other hand are closed to the possibility that there is no god. I don't know if there is a god, and neither do you. Show me indisputable evidence of your god and I'll join your team in a heartbeat.
So what is the difference between atheists and agnostics? That seems to be the same.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the opposite can be said for christians not wanting to open their minds to no god.
I have and there is no other answer that makes any sense. Things just appeared because they----just appeared.

If you can explain that so one can understand I will consider it.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:40 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That leaves the door open to a God. I don't think atheism says that. Aren't they strongly opposed to any idea of God?
No, not opposed at all...We just do not believe that any god exists...It's a simple concept, and I have no idea why it is so hard for the theist to grasp.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
There are two positions within atheism.

1. Agnostic atheism: the disbelief in gods, but accepts the possibility of the existence of a god.

2. Gnostic atheism: the belief that one knows there is no god.

The vast majority of atheists adopt the first position while a minority accept the second. It's a common misconception that atheists are strongly opposed to any idea of god. Most would believe if satisfactory evidence was provided.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
So what is the difference between atheists and agnostics? That seems to be the same.
Read this.. What are the "levels of Atheism"? : atheism

Old 06-28-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I have and there is no other answer that makes any sense. Things just appeared because they----just appeared.

That is why it's called god of the gaps...Anything that is not known or understood the theist has always said that god did it...It began with natural events like electrical storms, volcanoes and even sun shine and rain. As people came to understand the hows and whys of these events the list shrunk, and is continuing to shrink even more rapidly today...Eventually as the gaps close, god will get credit for very little.

Last edited by sanspeur; 06-28-2010 at 11:18 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 10:59 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
Really? Is this so difficult?

Theist: "I believe there is a God."
Atheist: "I do not believe there is a god."
Agnostic: "I am not sure whether there is a god or not."

Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 PM

18,389 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:

I am not sure what the question is? if you elaborate perhaps I can try to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality