Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:55 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,203 times

Advertisements

OK. To keep things straight, I've kept the portions of my post you quoted in the quote box. Your (Plad's) response is in black underneath the box. My response to yours is underneath, in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry
As for Plad asking for peer reviewed papers for historical figures... This was one of my posts about the antiquity of Biblical manuscripts. I stated that they've been authenticated as historical documents (documents of antiquity)! He wanted the names of all the scholars and lists of peer reviewed papers for each of them. Since the authentication process originally occurred close to 2000 years ago
Plad: The "authentication" of these documents would have taken place in relatively recent years and not "2000 years ago" as you claim. I know you think I'm "uneducated" (to use your words) and to an extent you are correct as I received little formal schooling but even I wouldn't be so uneducated that I would ask for 2000 year old peer reviews.

Actually, the authentication process started 2000 years ago. It has progressed through the centuries. Today's scholars are working on the foundation laid down by the predecessors. So the peer reviewed papers would have to start 2000 years ago. Today's scholars acknowledge the historical tests were met long ago.

Quote:
Blueberry: I read the post as asking for peer reviewed papers by historical figures.
Plad: Then you read it wrong!

My apologies. Internet discussions can be limiting.

Quote:
Blueberry: He has no interest in facts. He just likes to make ridiculous requests with the presumption (I'm guessing) that the others will actually think he's being wise or clever. That's pure and basic trolling behavior, and I am very tired of it!
Plad: I have every interest in facts...actually, that's all I do have an interest in

Well, it certainly doesn't appear that way at times! Case in point is the thread where you were questioning prophecies related to Jesus, and stated the prophecies came from the New Testament and were written after Jesus' time. Then you admitted you knew they came from the Old Testament. During this, you attributed wrong percentages to said prophecies. I can only conclude that you were deliberately trying to mislead, confuse, and divert attention from the facts. (Technically, I guess I can admit you are interested in the facts! You're just not interested in presenting them accurately. )

Quote:
Blueberry: He should be willing to provide the same degree of scholarship he's demanding of others.
Plad: Do you expect me to take stories of demons and huts filling up with blood on face value...especially when we are told "Oh!.....the person who saw it didn't write anything down about it....and I don't know where it was.....and I don't know when it was...I heard about it from the second cousin of the uncle of my friends sister....who heard about it from his grandfarthers best friend". Come on dude!! Give me a break here.

You Christains would be rolling on the floor laughing if I came on here and said that my uncles nephew had been abducted by aliens who told him that our existence here was nothing more than an experiment of their scientists.....and that these aliens had also told him that it was them that invented the 'god' stories to see if belief in myths would cause friction amongst us. I'm sure one of you would be asking me for evidence soon enough. If I then went on and told you that the guy that was abducted didn't bother to record anything about his experience, I'm sure you would be thinking 'what an idiot Plad is..............'. Well,......wouldn't you?

First off, I clearly stated my rant wasn't related to the claims made in the thread. I've yet to see you discuss the degree of scholarship you are willing hold yourself to. Even one of your own sources states that a person doesn't have to be a scholar to discuss religious issues intelligently, yet you want scholarly papers in return. A couple of other people have chimed in on this thread that peer reviewed papers is a high expectation on a forum like this. Furthermore, I stated elsewhere in this thread that many peer reviewed papers can't even be found online. I imagine not everyone here has access to a good research library; I know I don't.

Secondly, Alice clearly stated before your request that she didn't have an interest in proving her claims. Her purpose for bringing up the hut incident was to ask how someone would respond if he saw such an incident. For you to turn around and ask for a peer reviewed paper regarding the incident was definitely overboard, IMO. Furthermore, doctors (especially ones serving in remote locations) don't have time to write up everything they experience for peer reviewed journals and the journals don't accept every article for publication. I imagine the journals would be like you--very skeptical--and not publish such an article even if the doctor did submit one.

Finally, no one has asked you to believe Alice's story. Purposefully mistorting the extent of her claims doesn't add much credibility to your argument, though, and I'm guessing most people can deduce that Christians don't really expect you to put much credence in the ridiculous scenario you presented.

Quote:
Blueberry: If not, he's exhibiting pure and basic trolling behavior, and I am very tired of it!
Plad: Perhaps the 'IGNORE' function could be put to good use!

You wish!

So, the proper response to what I see as trolling should be to hit the ignore function? Hmmm....interesting perspective, but not my style. I prefer to see entire discussions because misconceptions can arise otherwise. Besides, where would you be without people like me trying to set you straight?

Nope. I'm just gonna raspberry any requests for peer reviewed papers from now on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 03:55 PM

954 posts, read 813,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post

Well, it certainly doesn't appear that way at times! Case in point is the thread where you were questioning prophecies related to Jesus, and stated the prophecies came from the New Testament and were written after Jesus' time. Then you admitted you knew they came from the Old Testament. During this, you attributed wrong percentages to said prophecies. I can only conclude that you were deliberately trying to mislead, confuse, and divert attention from the facts. (Technically, I guess I can admit you are interested in the facts! You're just not interested in presenting them accurately. )
Now I see where you have got the wrong end of the stick. What I was saying was that the prophecies were in the OT but the claim that the said prophecies had been fulfilled, could only be found in the NT which was written after JC died (allegedly). Therefore the 'evidence' for the fulfillment of the prophecy was written after the events were alleged to have taken place.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post

I was wondering about Plad's golfing buddy as well! I find it hard to believe that you (Plad) would harass other Christians on other forums! Don't ya think ya got your hands full right here?
Got to keep busy dudette....got to keep busy!!

Old 07-05-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:

So, the proper response to what I see as trolling should be to hit the ignore function? Hmmm....interesting perspective, but not my style. I prefer to see entire discussions because misconceptions can arise otherwise. Besides, where would you be without people like me trying to set you straight?

Nope. I'm just gonna raspberry any requests for peer reviewed papers from now on! [/color]
Well don't be surprised if you get one back!!

Old 07-05-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Now I see where you have got the wrong end of the stick. What I was saying was that the prophecies were in the OT but the claim that the said prophecies had been fulfilled, could only be found in the NT which was written after JC died (allegedly). Therefore the 'evidence' for the fulfillment of the prophecy was written after the events were alleged to have taken place.
My apologies if I misunderstood.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Well don't be surprised if you get one back!!
Oh, goody! I LOVE raspberries! Does this mean we can be friends, now?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:03 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I hope this means that you two can kiss and make up!

Old 07-05-2007, 05:50 PM

Hi everyone,

This is just a general notice that I'm not seeing recent posts. Sometimes the threaded mode (I'm stuck in it, but I actually kind of like it) goes whacko and hides posts from me. Since most of you are probably in linear, hopefully you're not having this problem.

Since I can see that Montana Guy has posted last, but I don't see the post, I don't know if it's anything to which I need to respond. If it's important, please PM me.

I also can't see my last two posts to Plad; hopefully, everyone else can. I'm looking forward to sending and receiving raspberries!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Oh, goody! I LOVE raspberries! Does this mean we can be friends, now?
I don't hold grudges..............GIT!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:14 PM

[quote=Blueberry;1011213]
Quote:
I also can't see my last two posts to Plad; hopefully, everyone else can. I'm looking forward to sending and receiving raspberries!
The lord works in mysterious way to tell you when you are wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality