Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times

Advertisements

University of Minnesota Study on American Attitudes Towards Atheists & Atheism

I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group....

Atheist: 47.6%
Muslim: 33.5%
African-American 27.2%
Asian-Americans: 18.5%
Hispanics: 18.5%
Jews: 11.8%
Conservative Christians: 6.9%
Whites: 2.3%

This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society...

Atheist: 39.6%
Muslims: 26.3%
Homosexuals: 22.6%
Hispanics: 20%
Conservative Christians: 13.5%
Recent Immigrants: 12.5%
Jews: 7.6%
University of Minnesota Study on American Attitudes Towards Atheists & Atheism - Research Finds that Atheists Most Despised, Most Distrusted Minority

Old 09-17-2010, 02:47 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
University of Minnesota Study on American Attitudes Towards Atheists & Atheism

I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group....

Atheist: 47.6%
Muslim: 33.5%
African-American 27.2%
Asian-Americans: 18.5%
Hispanics: 18.5%
Jews: 11.8%
Conservative Christians: 6.9%
Whites: 2.3%

This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society...

Atheist: 39.6%
Muslims: 26.3%
Homosexuals: 22.6%
Hispanics: 20%
Conservative Christians: 13.5%
Recent Immigrants: 12.5%
Jews: 7.6%
University of Minnesota Study on American Attitudes Towards Atheists & Atheism - Research Finds that Atheists Most Despised, Most Distrusted Minority
Damn.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Please have more fun!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Please have more fun!
That's what life is about. I have fun every day no matter what. I'm getting in as much fun as I can before I croak!

Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Actions? he killed to get his way, nothing different than what religions have been doing since it's inception.

HE BELIEVED he was Christian, the CATHOLIC CHURCH helped put him in power.
I'm not an expert, but I have a degree in history and did take a class on the Holocaust. People who blame Catholicism for the Nazis or the Holocaust are telling us something about their own biases, but they aren't telling us about history.

The Nazis did worse in the Catholic areas of Germany than in the Protestant ones. The Concordat occurred after the Nazis were in power, it didn't put them in power. Nor did it mean the regime was pro-Catholic. The eugenics and euthanasia programs clearly went against Catholicism. Nazi racism does not fit Catholicism at all and was condemned by it.

Once in power German Catholics embraced Nazism as much as everyone else did, but German Catholics aren't all Catholics or Catholicism. Dutch Catholics were mostly very anti-Nazi. Pope Pius XI criticized Nazism in Mitt Brenender Sorge (sp?). Although I'd grant Croatian Catholics were in many ways more Nazi than German Catholics. Anyway even in Germany there were moments of strain as German Catholics opposed the euthanasia program on disabled and some members of "Catholic Action" were killed in a purge.

After the Concordat there was certainly Catholic support for Nazis in Germany. There was also acquiescence as many Catholics of the era believed you had to accept who was in power and not revolt against them. (The French Revolution had really effected Catholics) However the majority of Nazi support came from Protestants and non-religious. The Nazis also found Catholicism difficult in that you could not run it from Berlin like you could the "Protestant Reich Church" or others.

Also that you can find historians who believe what you say proves much less than you want to believe. You can find historians with credible degrees who believe in all kinds of nonsense. I imagine my being Catholic just gives you an "easy out" to dismiss me, but I'm confident if you look at mainstream academic work on the Nazis you'll see I'm more right than you.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:49 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm not an expert, but I have a degree in history and did take a class on the Holocaust. People who blame Catholicism for the Nazis or the Holocaust are telling us something about their own biases, but they aren't telling us about history.

The Nazis did worse in the Catholic areas of Germany than in the Protestant ones. The Concordat occurred after the Nazis were in power, it didn't put them in power. Nor did it mean the regime was pro-Catholic. The eugenics and euthanasia programs clearly went against Catholicism. Nazi racism does not fit Catholicism at all and was condemned by it.

Once in power German Catholics embraced Nazism as much as everyone else did, but German Catholics aren't all Catholics or Catholicism. Dutch Catholics were mostly very anti-Nazi. Pope Pius XI criticized Nazism in Mitt Brenender Sorge (sp?). Although I'd grant Croatian Catholics were in many ways more Nazi than German Catholics. Anyway even in Germany there were moments of strain as German Catholics opposed the euthanasia program on disabled and some members of "Catholic Action" were killed in a purge.

After the Concordat there was certainly Catholic support for Nazis in Germany. There was also acquiescence as many Catholics of the era believed you had to accept who was in power and not revolt against them. (The French Revolution had really effected Catholics) However the majority of Nazi support came from Protestants and non-religious. The Nazis also found Catholicism difficult in that you could not run it from Berlin like you could the "Protestant Reich Church" or others.

Also that you can find historians who believe what you say proves much less than you want to believe. You can find historians with credible degrees who believe in all kinds of nonsense. I imagine my being Catholic just gives you an "easy out" to dismiss me, but I'm confident if you look at mainstream academic work on the Nazis you'll see I'm more right than you.
The fact I am looking at mainstream information, shows me more right than you, as most of what I posted has been from the recent decade or so. The fact that you and others dismiss the role the Church played in his coming to power and their deafening silence during and after speaks volumes. I have done more than just a history class on the subject as well. I have first hand accounts and investigated more recent information that came to light on their role. Certainly I have never said that the Catholics we responsible for the Nazis, I stated they played a part in bringing him to power. It is all in black and white. Information is everywhere and due to family issues I have done more than just a little research on the subject.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Fer cryin' baby jesus, nobody here is saying that Catholicism is responsible for the holocaust.

What we ARE saying is that the Catholic church collaborated with them and didn't oppose them for several years, and that they should take responsibility for those evil actions perpetrated in the name of a supposedly loving god.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:42 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
The fact I am looking at mainstream information, shows me more right than you, as most of what I posted has been from the recent decade or so. The fact that you and others dismiss the role the Church played in his coming to power and their deafening silence during and after speaks volumes. I have done more than just a history class on the subject as well. I have first hand accounts and investigated more recent information that came to light on their role. Certainly I have never said that the Catholics we responsible for the Nazis, I stated they played a part in bringing him to power. It is all in black and white. Information is everywhere and due to family issues I have done more than just a little research on the subject.
Fine believe what you want.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Fine believe what you want.

I believe in the truth, I have no problem with it. If the truth was they had no part in it I would say so. I have no agenda and nothing to protect or defend.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:47 PM

What in hell does this have to do with anything here. Fox news, yea ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality