Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there an "appointed" time to die?
It's in our hands and just the "natural flow" of events and circumstances which occur. 4 16.00%
It's totally in God's hands. 10 40.00%
It's a little of both. Please post and explain. 6 24.00%
I don't know but I'm controlling my cholesterol and taking my vitamins to be on the safe side! 2 8.00%
Other. Any options not listed. Please post explanation. 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:01 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times

Advertisements

I get what you are saying, but I also wonder if human sin doesn't play a huge part in this.

I mean, there was no death before the fall, and people lived hundreds of years before the flood.....so things are a direct result of sin.

I also think that many deaths are because of sin in one's life and that one may die of a drug overdose or killed by a drunk driver before God's perfect timing. God does allow Satan to run to and fro and I think this is part of it.

I was not a planned pregnancy. I am not saying God didn't want me here, but I think that being born to an unwed mother who didn't keep me was God's perfect plan for my birth mother's life or for my life. BUT, He used it anyway.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I believe God is in total control of when we die, just like He is control over when we're born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 07:23 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I get what you are saying, but I also wonder if human sin doesn't play a huge part in this.

I mean, there was no death before the fall, and people lived hundreds of years before the flood.....so things are a direct result of sin.

I also think that many deaths are because of sin in one's life and that one may die of a drug overdose or killed by a drunk driver before God's perfect timing. God does allow Satan to run to and fro and I think this is part of it.

I was not a planned pregnancy. I am not saying God didn't want me here, but I think that being born to an unwed mother who didn't keep me was God's perfect plan for my birth mother's life or for my life. BUT, He used it anyway.

Dawn
I guess what I meant was that God knows when and how we will die. And you're right sometimes death is the result of sin in a persons life.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:08 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times
I think it's a little of both. I don't think that it would be wise for someone to say "hey, I'm going to jump off this cliff today, if it's God's will that I die, so be it."
Seriously, I think that God has His own plan for our lives and what we should accomplish before our time comes. However, I also believe that we can act out of stupidity and perhaps hurry things up a bit by not eating right, doing dangerous things (like my husband the adrenaline junky <he was BORED skydiving...go figure>) and other irresponsible behaviors.
Therefore, I would have to say that while we have our own free will and have options and choices that can affect our lives, ultimately, when all is said and done, it really is up to God

Old 07-09-2007, 08:14 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I think it's a little of both. I don't think that it would be wise for someone to say "hey, I'm going to jump off this cliff today, if it's God's will that I die, so be it."
Seriously, I think that God has His own plan for our lives and what we should accomplish before our time comes. However, I also believe that we can act out of stupidity and perhaps hurry things up a bit by not eating right, doing dangerous things (like my husband the adrenaline junky <he was BORED skydiving...go figure>) and other irresponsible behaviors.
Therefore, I would have to say that while we have our own free will and have options and choices that can affect our lives, ultimately, when all is said and done, it really is up to God
This is very close to what I believe too, Kawg.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:18 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,669,583 times
I have not read all the posts to this thread and this might be covered already.

But, and help me out here guys, I seem to remember that God can take a person maybe before their time to keep them from falling deeper into sin, like a specific sin they are having much trouble with and can't seem to overcome it, even though they are desperately trying. He can take someone early???

Anyone ever heard or read of this in the Bible. I forget where I got this from, but don't think I remember reading it in the Bible.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I have not read all the posts to this thread and this might be covered already.

But, and help me out here guys, I seem to remember that God can take a person maybe before their time to keep them from falling deeper into sin, like a specific sin they are having much trouble with and can't seem to overcome it, even though they are desperately trying. He can take someone early???

Anyone ever heard or read of this in the Bible. I forget where I got this from, but don't think I remember reading it in the Bible.
I have heard this doctrine. I personally don't know that it is rooted in scripture, however. Anyone know any scriptures that would speak to this?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 PM

668 posts, read 682,378 times
I believe that if I make a stupid choice, like to drive off a cliff while drinking, that it would not be God's fault.

But I also believe that he has watched over my stupid self more than a few times.

The question is hard for me to answer.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:00 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Oh man...I hate to bring it up BUT...I think this discussion is very simular to the free will one!

I think that with all our efforts to be healthy does make a difference, as well as if we are being unhealthy...BUT...God knows what we will do with our lives therefore he already knows the time and day of our passing. Not to mention the fact that many die suddenly in car accidents and such...he already knows the story before it unfolds. He has a plan for our life and our death and we cannot control the bottom line. He's holding the universe together, he's got our lives as well.
Oh man you were on top of it before me. I was going to being up this whole long discussion on free will and yada yada yada. My answer is look at my free will post

Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,826 times
Hey, I ran across this verse when I was in my bible doing something else and it made me think about this thread.

Daniel 4:35 (New International Version)

35 All the peoples of the earth
are regarded as nothing.
He does as he pleases
with the powers of heaven
and the peoples of the earth.
No one can hold back his hand
or say to him: "What have you done?"

Old 07-10-2007, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 10,629 times
I agree with the messages above. We have an obligation to take care of our bodies as the temple of God, but He knows the days of our lives and as prayer can change things, it is ultimately up to our Creator when our last day will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality