Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times

Advertisements

Radrook: You took what was essentially a cry for help and dissed it as "atheist propaganda". I didn't get that impression at all. Nice going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Didn't! Would have been waste of time since I noticed the atheist propanda ploy a few words into it. In fact the title itself had me expecting it. Nice try though.
A practioner of willful ignorance I see

Old 06-18-2011, 08:03 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times
I don't want to write it again but you can check it out: #116 by garya123 at Forum>Christianity> How can I ever find peace?

It was written for someone else but the message is a standard salvation message for anyone.

Last edited by garya123; 06-18-2011 at 08:14 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 10:05 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Well, I DO believe in God.
But I don't believe in preachers.
I believe that there is a Creator who took the time to make me in His image. I thank Him for what He does for me, in general and on a daily basis... I believe that there will be punishment for evildoers, and reward for those who do good. Although sometimes it's hard to wait for either, He always does a much better job than I ever could... when He gets around to it.

But "worship"? Um, ah, no. I believe God is a practical Being, who has to work in Natural Law; miracles can only happen under natural circumstances. I can't see a practical Being demanding that, when I die, I have to sit around on a cloud, playing a harp and singing His praises. One, He made me - He knows I'd get bored and start looking for something else to do. Two, any God who is practical also isn't so insecure or infantile as to need a bunch of yes-men with wings sitting around telling Him how great He is.

I don't go to church because I don't like listening to preachers and other people tell me what God meant when He said thus-and-so. I don't believe in - CAN'T believe in - a God that says that these people, those people, or those people 'way over there are cursed, so you should revile them and make their lives a living hell, and even vote and pass laws against them... just because some preacher can quote an obscure passage in the Bible that justifies his own hate and derision, and his or his congregation's desperate need for feelings of superiority.

I believe in a God of Love, but I also believe that He would have to be a very practical God who expects and requires responsibility and accountability. I've known quite a few people who have lied, stolen, cheated - yet who would superciliously insist that it didn't matter what they did, they were going to Heaven because some preacher told them they were "saved". Un-uh. I don't buy it; I won't even rent it.

My DH and I have the same attitude about churches - no matter what man builds, the finest Church in the world rests on the tops of the hills for its buttresses, has an ever-changing and amazing ceiling that is brilliantly sunny, fiercely blizzardy, tumbling with rain or storm clouds; and that Church has little surprises that greet us every morning - from walking stick insects, to fresh vegetables, to new calves, to new flowers springing from its carpet. How can any claustrophobic structure, made of wood, bricks, and mortar, compare?

I know my prayers are heard, because they are always answered - even if the answer is "no" or "wait" or even "Ha-ha, very funny - now get off your butt and get to work".

Yeah, my God has to have a sense of humor, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality