Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Interesting, Murder, theft and rape are generally outlawed by any civilized society, religion has nothing to do with it.
Learn more about the laws that govern the middle east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default This is NOT, I repeat,NOT a nation founded on Christian principles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I get so sick and tired of reading posts and threads from evangelicals or fundamentalist Christians claiming that the United States of America was founded on Christian principles when if they would take the time to educate themselves they wouldn't make such broad statements:

from the Declaration of Independence.

When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impelled them to the separation.

The Declaration of Independence2

And the preamble of the Constitution of the United States of America.

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish Justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution of the United States of America.

U.S. CONSTITUTION,

Bill of Rights and Later Amendments

Now I have offered links here for anyone who wishes to read these historic documents and educate yourself before making such broad statements, you will notice that there is no mention of Christianity or any Christian God of any kind in any of these documents.

So in conclusion, this country was not founded on any Christian principles.

But...

Many, many Christians are very comfortable in their delusion that "America is a Christian nation."

Your statement is upsetting to millions of Americans.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:52 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
The real questions, what did Jesus believe in and how is that reflected within those words?
Can you not answer a simple question?

Would it help if I went first?

Since I'm such I nice guy, I will.

I believe everyone in this country should have the same freedom and rights as the next person, Christians included. I'm not even one of these non-believers who gets his panties in a knot over the "under God" part of the Pledge, despite it being a later add-on.

See how easy that was.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:05 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
And you can't get a crop to grow with out planting a seed, either. The soil is there, the earth is there, but the crop, not there, not without allot of hard work.
The "crops" had been growing for thousands of years before the European Christians came along...and proceded to kill/swindle the people that had long before that "worked the soil", "planted the seeds", and put in the work.

What we call "the founders", IMO, were nothing but thieving land pirates. They came in with greater technology (firearms) and overthrew, Genghis Kahn style...they didn't "found" squat.
Oh, they put a new government in place...in the land they conquered through force...typical of people that overthrow countries throughout history. So I guess you could say in that way they "founded" something.

And IMO, ptsum is right...those guys didn't "found on Christian principles".
There are two main principles of Christianity...passed down through the centuries in the legend of the man know as Jesus the Christ (thus the CHRISTian designation)...and those principles are, "Love Each Other" and "Treat All Others the Way You Would Want To Be Treated".
And they sure didn't do things according to those principles.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
Can you not answer a simple question?

Would it help if I went first?

Since I'm such I nice guy, I will.

I believe everyone in this country should have the same freedom and rights as the next person, Christians included. I'm not even one of these non-believers who gets his panties in a knot over the "under God" part of the Pledge, despite it being a later add-on.

See how easy that was.
Why was under God added again? I forget.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The "crops" had been growing for thousands of years before the European Christians came along...and proceded to kill/swindle the people that had long before that "worked the soil", "planted the seeds", and put in the work.

What we call "the founders", IMO, were nothing but thieving land pirates. They came in with greater technology (firearms) and overthrew, Genghis Kahn style...they didn't "found" squat.
Oh, they put a new government in place...in the land they conquered through force...typical of people that overthrow countries throughout history. So I guess you could say in that way they "founded" something.

And IMO, ptsum is right...those guys didn't "found on Christian principles".
There are two main principles of Christianity...passed down through the centuries in the legend of the man know as Jesus the Christ (thus the CHRISTian designation)...and those principles are, "Love Each Other" and "Treat All Others the Way You Would Want To Be Treated".
And they sure didn't do things according to those principles.
"Book of Eli" great movie. I love picking wild blackberries myself and they make a great pie.

"typical of people that overthrow countries throughout history"

It never changes. Based on Biblical history, I doubt it ever will. I think they should have stuck with drawing pretty pictures on cave walls. May be then, people today would have understood them better.

PS: I believe they tried to do the right thing. However, I believe they were human too.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 01-06-2011 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: ps

Old 01-06-2011, 01:24 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Do people not realize that when a person dies, their spirit leaves their body, therefore this life, ceases to be an issue?
That belief is only a manifestation of the desperation to not die, but to go on to some fictional afterlife.

When the body dies, the brain dies, and with that, the individual and every memory they have so ceases to exist. No spirit, no soul, just a dead body, end of that persons story.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
But...

Many, many Christians are very comfortable in their delusion that "America is a Christian nation."

Your statement is upsetting to millions of Americans.
Again, shows the danger of religion, as reality should not upset millions of people. It is what it is, deal with it.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Why was under God added again? I forget.
Pledge of Allegiance and its "under God" phrase

There was a campaign by the Knights of Columbus during the McCarthy scare to add these words. The words were added as an anti-communist affirmation - the thought being that a communist could not say these words so anyone who would not say the pledge with these words could be blacklisted.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That belief is only a manifestation of the desperation to not die, but to go on to some fictional afterlife.

When the body dies, the brain dies, and with that, the individual and every memory they have so ceases to exist. No spirit, no soul, just a dead body, end of that persons story.
Many psychologist and philosophers would disagree with you and so do I.
My body, my mind and my spirit, my spirit is the foundation of my strength. It is what keeps putting up a good fight, when my mind and my body fail me.

And yes, Christ is there, leading me every step of the way, less I falter. He picks me up and put's me back on my path and I embrace Him.

You can't touch this. No one can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality