Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
How about it? Does Pledge, and more specifically, "liberty and justice for all" mean anything to you or not?
Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference:

John 14
6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Judeo-Christian beliefs.

Of course there is no mention of religion in those original documents.

The founders wanted to form a nation with freedom of religion, no state sponsored religion.

God is not a religion.

Our laws are based on Judeo-Chgristian law.
Interesting, Murder, theft and rape are generally outlawed by any civilized society, religion has nothing to do with it.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference:

John 14
6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Yeah, the bible says all sorts of odd stuff.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Again, what religion is God?

None, god is mythological.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
I was wondering when someone would introduce the quote game into this thread.

How about this.

Thomas Jefferson

[George Washington

Treaty of Tripoli.

Signed by John Adams.

There's plenty more where that came from, but you get the point.

I think this best sums up this thread when it comes to some people.

At least some of us are honest enough to admit the majority of our founders were Deist, and yes, some Christians. I can admit few, if any, known atheist had anything to do with the Constitution.

We don't make up our own set of facts at our own convenience.

It must really burn Christians up that more people are seeing through their lies of a Christian nation. I mean, they are starting to play the persecution card after all
Treaty of Tripoli.

Signed by John Adams.
Avalon Project - The Barbary Treaties 1786-1816 - Treaty with Tripoli 1796 : Hunter Miller's Notes
And here is what he was up against.
BBC - History - British History in depth: British Slaves on the Barbary Coast

They didn't have time to mince words. Apparently that's all we have today, is time.

Trust in this, the Christian has face persecution for so long, they are use to it. Other people, maybe no so much.

How I know we are a nation based on Christian principles? Because we have a Bill of Rights, a Declaration of Independence and a U.S. Constitution that is suppose to limit the infringement of the Government onto the rights of the people. Other countries, they do not have them.

Christianity is based in the heart and soul of this great nation a power that is bar none. They fought to set men free and created the documents for all to adhere to and respect.

They didn't have to do that, you know. They didn't have to do anything.

People are going to see what they want to see and no one can make them see any different. And that's it.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
"Their lies of a Christian Nation"?!!
HaHaHaHaHa!! I suggest you get a clue.

Your quotes are like putting up some quotes by vegetarians critical of eating meat...and saying that determines this is not a fast-food beef eating nation.

You do notice what goes on around you, don't you?
4 out of every 5 people-Christian...Christian church on every corner...Christian television stations...Christian Radio Stations...an entire genre (Gospel) of music devoted to Christianity...Federally recognized Christian Holidays...Christian EVERYTHING!!
You've even got the 3rd highest government official saying this: Pelosi Says She Has a Duty to Pursue Policies in Keeping With The Values of Jesus, 'The Word Made Flesh' | CNSnews.com .

What it does, or doesn't, HAVE TO BE based on the law...is inconsequential to WHAT IT IS...and HAS BEEN ever since the hostile takeover by the European Christians that overthrew the Native People.

And let's get another thing straight...they only "founded" THE GOVERNMENT...NOT "the nation". The nation was already founded...they just took it by force and deception and put their own "game" in place--And you can't "found" something by stealing it.
And you can't get a crop to grow with out planting a seed, either. The soil is there, the earth is there, but the crop, not there, not without allot of hard work.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
That may be true but it's time the 11th article of the treaty with Tripoli is verbalized:

ARTICLE 11.

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Ratified by the U S senate and signed by John Adams...president.
And the reason for the treaty is because of this event,

BBC - History - British History in depth: British Slaves on the Barbary Coast

And they had slow messengers back then, when the transcripts came to him, he had to sign them, or risk those folks suffering much much more longer than they already had! What would you do in that situation?

The act to get one thing done back then took a hell of lot more time, than it does in the day of instant every thing that we have today.
Avalon Project - The Barbary Treaties 1786-1816 - Treaty with Tripoli 1796 : Hunter Miller's Notes
There are four documents in the Department of State file of this treaty.
And that that you have quoted does not appear ever again.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Where can we find these in the Constitution?

It's really strange no one can answer a simple question with direct quotes showing how this nation was based on Christianity. The constitution isn't exactly a huge document. It should be easy to skim through it and list all of the ways God, Jesus and the Bible are referenced as source material. I wonder why no one has been able to do this so far.
ChristianLawPages
is the source from some one who has taken the time to do just that. I expect you will give to that site about as much time as you believe it deserves.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
...and you're entitled to your opinions. Again, assertions such as this do little more than play to the choir.

Something else to consider perhaps:

The Constitution and Bill of Rights are mere law. Laws are useless if they are not vigorously and practically enforced. If the people fail to hold the government accountable with respect to the dictates of the Constitution, what good is it? Let me suggest that it's the moral make-up and principles of the governed that actually drive the government - not the other way around, as inferred by your OP.
There it is! I'd rep you but must spread more around.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I guess the Pledge of Allegiance means nothing to people who take this one quote seriously.

We've already addressed the quote game here, so I'll leave that alone.

Let's try another question, since we don't seem to be getting anywhere with a certain other one asked in this thread.

Do Christians believe in "liberty and justice for all" or is this just another one of those misunderstandings; what it really meant to say in the Pledge was "liberty and justice for Christians only."

I've heard the phrase "One nation, under God" uttered quite a bit by some religious folks, happily stopping there and leaving out the last six words. One can't help but wonder sometimes.

So.....

How about it? Does Pledge, and more specifically, "liberty and justice for all" mean anything to you or not?

Lets see if we get anywhere with an answer on this one.
The real questions, what did Jesus believe in and how is that reflected within those words?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality