Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I see you keep moving the goal posts. First you say over and over that Saul did not know who David was.
Remember earlier you wrote:

You said "nobody knows him" by "him" you meant "David." Now that I have proven it was not about David but about his father you now go to plan 'b' hoping no one sees you started off on a wrong premise to begin with and to save your own skin and what little (very very little) credibility you have left you switch now from David to his father.

Just say you were wrong about your premise being about David then we can move on to the next lesson I have to teach you.
RESPONSE:

Yous should really learn to distinguish subjects and objects in a sentence. There is a difference between David and David's father.

22 Saul sent to Jesse, saying, ‘Let David remain in my service, for he has found favour in my sight.’ (NRSV)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 06:41 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Ancient warrior, I can't help you if you can't come to grips with your problem.

Now look, friend, you started out another one of your supposed "contradictions" in the Bible by stating that Saul knew who David was in one verse and then shortly after that verse in another verse you stated Saul did not know who David was.

But when I showed you that was not the case you act as if nothing is wrong. I showed that in the latter verse Saul was actually asking who was the father of David.

ancient warrior, just admit you were wrong. Just admit that you were wrong to state Saul did not know who David was in the latter verse so we can go on. I need to teach you some more things after you acknowledge your mistake.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:56 AM

Is there a contradiction in these inerrant scriptures?

1 Kings 7: 13- 15 “ Now King Solomon invited and received Hiram from Tyre. He was the son of a widow of the tribe of Naphtali, whose father, a man of Tyre, had been an artisan in bronze; he was full of skill, intelligence, and knowledge in working bronze. He came to King Solomon, and did all his work. He cast two pillars of bronze. Eighteen cubits was the height of one, and a cord of twelve cubits would encircle it; the second pillar was the same. “ (NRSV)

or

2 Chr 3:15 “ In front of the house he made two pillars thirty-five cubits high, with a capital of five cubits on the top of each” (NRSV).

Old 01-13-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Ancient warrior, I can't help you if you can't come to grips with your problem.

Now look, friend, you started out another one of your supposed "contradictions" in the Bible by stating that Saul knew who David was in one verse and then shortly after that verse in another verse you stated Saul did not know who David was.

But when I showed you that was not the case you act as if nothing is wrong. I showed that in the latter verse Saul was actually asking who was the father of David.

ancient warrior, just admit you were wrong. Just admit that you were wrong to state Saul did not know who David was in the latter verse so we can go on. I need to teach you some more things after you acknowledge your mistake.
RESPONSE:

You did not show that this was not the case. You only demonstrated an apparent lack of reading comprehension.

Lets let the readers decide.

1 Sam 16:21-22
And David came to Saul, and entered his service. Saul loved him greatly, and he became his armour-bearer. Saul sent to Jesse, saying, ‘Let David remain in my service, for he has found favour in my sight.

(Saul knows David and that he is Jesse's son)

1 Sam 17:55-58
When Saul saw David go out against the Philistine, he said to Abner, the commander of the army, ‘Abner, whose son is this young man?’ Abner said, ‘As your soul lives, O king, I do not know.’ The king said, ‘Inquire whose son the stripling is.’ On David’s return from killing the Philistine, Abner took him and brought him before Saul, with the head of the Philistine in his hand. Saul said to him, ‘Whose son are you, young man?’ And David answered, ‘I am the son of your servant Jesse the Bethlehemite.

(Saul clearly saw David "go out," but Saul doesn't recognize David and hence doesn't know who is father is).

Apparently, since you don't want to recognize the obvious contradiction, you are attempting the old tactic of trying to sow confusion. But I'm confident that readers can see it.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 01-13-2011 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Is there a contradiction in these inerrant scriptures?

1 Kings 7: 13- 15 “ Now King Solomon invited and received Hiram from Tyre. He was the son of a widow of the tribe of Naphtali, whose father, a man of Tyre, had been an artisan in bronze; he was full of skill, intelligence, and knowledge in working bronze. He came to King Solomon, and did all his work. He cast two pillars of bronze. Eighteen cubits was the height of one, and a cord of twelve cubits would encircle it; the second pillar was the same. “ (NRSV)

or

2 Chr 3:15 “ In front of the house he made two pillars thirty-five cubits high, with a capital of five cubits on the top of each” (NRSV).
No, there isn't.

1Ki 7:1 And his own house has Solomon built thirteen years, and he finishes all his house.

2Ch 3:1 And Solomon begins to build the house of Yahweh, in Jerusalem, in the mount of Moriah, where He appeared to David his father, in the place that David had prepared, in the threshing-floor of Ornan the Jebusite,

The 1 Kings 7 chapter is all about Somomon's own house.

The 2 Chronicles 3 chapter is about building the house of Yahweh.

No contradictions.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
No, there isn't.

1Ki 7:1 And his own house has Solomon built thirteen years, and he finishes all his house.

2Ch 3:1 And Solomon begins to build the house of Yahweh, in Jerusalem, in the mount of Moriah, where He appeared to David his father, in the place that David had prepared, in the threshing-floor of Ornan the Jebusite,

The 1 Kings 7 chapter is all about Somomon's own house.

The 2 Chronicles 3 chapter is about building the house of Yahweh.

No contradictions.
RESPONSE:

You evidently have gotten your passage numbers mixed up. See 1 Kings 7:21. (Not 1 Kings 7:1)

1 Kings 7:21 "He set up the pillars at the vestibule of the temple; he set up the pillar on the south and called it Jachin; and he set up the pillar on the north and called it Boaz."

2 Chr 3: 17 "He set up the pillars in front of the temple, one on the right, the other on the left; the one on the right he called Jachin, and the one on the left, Boaz.

Note the names Jachin and Boaz in both passages. And Solomon's house wasn't the Temple.

KIigs report is 18 cubits. The Chronicles report is 35 cubits.

Sorry.

It's still another contradiction.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 01-13-2011 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

You evidently have gotten your passage numbers mixed up. See 1 Kings 7:21. (Not 1 Kings 7:1)

1 Kings 7:21 "He set up the pillars at the vestibule of the temple; he set up the pillar on the south and called it Jachin; and he set up the pillar on the north and called it Boaz."

2 Chr 3: 17 "He set up the pillars in front of the temple, one on the right, the other on the left; the one on the right he called Jachin, and the one on the left, Boaz.

Note the names Jachin and Boaz in both passages. And Solomon's house wasn't the Temple.

KIigs report is 18 cubits. The Chronicles report is 35 cubits.

Sorry.

It's still another contradiction.
1 Kings 7:1 sets the contextual setting in which 7:21 finds itself. 1 Kings 7:1 through vs. 21 is concerning Solomon building his house.

2 Chronicles 3:1 sets the contextual setting in which 3:17 finds itself. 2 Chronicles 3:1 through 17 is concerning Solomon building he temple of Yahweh.

No contradiction.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
1 Kings 7:1 sets the contextual setting in which 7:21 finds itself. 1 Kings 7:1 through vs. 21 is concerning Solomon building his house.

2 Chronicles 3:1 sets the contextual setting in which 3:17 finds itself. 2 Chronicles 3:1 through 17 is concerning Solomon building he temple of Yahweh.

No contradiction.
RESPONSE:

Once again you are trying to avoid what is clearly andexplicitly written. Even the names of the columns are given, and the clear term "temple" is in both passages.

The "contextual setting" explanation is a dodge and is contrary to the plain meaning of words.

Once again; this time observe the actual words. Not what you want them to say. []

1 Kings report is 18 cubits. The 2 Chronicles report is 35 cubits.

That's a clear contradiction which readers can see.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 01-13-2011 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 AM

Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible states:

1Ki 7:15 -
These famous pillars, which were broken in pieces by the Babylonians
when they destroyed Jerusalem 2Ki_25:13; Jer_52:17, were probably for
ornament, standing by themselves under or in front of the porch. It is
certain that the Phoenicians used isolated metal columns as sacred
ornaments, so that Hiram would be familiar with such a mode of
ornamentation. Eighteen cubits appear to have been the height of the
shaft only. Adding the capital 1Ki_7:16, 1Ki_7:19, the entire metal pillar
was 27 cubits high; and if it had a stone base of eight cubits, which would
not be greatly out of proportion, the height of 35 cubits (52 12 feet,
2Ch_3:15) would have been reached. The height of some of the
Persepolitan columns, with which these pillars may be best compared, is
67 feet. The circumference of 12 cubits (18 feet) implies a diameter of
about 5 feet 9 inches at the base, which would make the column
somewhat heavy in appearance. Egyptian pillars were, however, even
thicker in proportion to their height. On the supposition that a portion of
the original text has fallen out, this verse has been thus completed: “He
cast two pillars of brass; eighteen cubits was the height of the one pillar,
and eighteen cubits was the height of the other pillar; and a line of twelve
cubits compassed the one pillar, and a line of twelve cubits compassed
the other pillar.”

No contradiction.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 AM

By the way, ancoent warrior, there are what are known as "scribal errors" in the Old Testament.

When the scrolls of the OT would get to a certain condition the scribe or scribes would copy each scroll line for line. Sometimes the scribe's eyes would improperly read something is a latter line and incorporate that into the line he was working on. This has been proven over and over. But when they would find these errors the chief scribe or priest would make an emendation in the margin but would keep what was written in the text.
Every sabbath the priest would read what was in the margin (the Qere) and skip over the incorrect rendering (the Ketib) in the text.
Qere is "what is read"
Ketib is "what is written"

So even though there may appear to be contradictions in the text you'd have to have the text WITH the emmendations to see all the facts.

This does not disprove the Bible is inspired. Knowing God, I wouldn't doubt He caused the scribes to make these errors just to keep the weak minded from getting the full picture.

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter and the glory of kings to seek it out.

Last edited by Eusebius; 01-14-2011 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: mizspeld wurd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality