Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What religion do you practice?
Christian 22 22.68%
Catholic 9 9.28%
Atheist 27 27.84%
agnostic 13 13.40%
Theism 3 3.09%
taoism 1 1.03%
Muslim 7 7.22%
Spiritual/other 21 21.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm curious why you listed Catholic as a separate choice from Christian. I guess that means you don't consider them to be Christians. I'm also curious why you didn't mention Mormons/LDS at all. I guess you must consider them to be Christians. Interesting.
It is interesting actually. I have been Catholic (raised), Mormon (married-joined), Christian (Interested), and a few others. Now I am simply Spiritual. However, in my passing through other religions I have come to understand that some Catholics don't consider themselves Christian. Most Mormons do consider themselves to be Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
I am atheist and agnostic and a naturalist and a humanist and an active member of the Unitarian Universalist fellowship.

I am a nontheist in that I do not have a belief in god. I am an epistemological agnostic in that I do not believe we can either prove or disprove the existence of god. I am an atheist in that I estimate the probability of the existence of any type of god existing as extremely low. I am atheist not only because I believe that there is no convincing evidence of god's existence, but because I believe there is evidence that discredits many of the things typically cited as evidence for god's existence, such as the Bible, Quran, fulfilled prophecies, answered prayers, spiritual promptings, near-death experiences, visions, intelligent design, etc.

I am a naturalist in that I do not believe in the supernatural and believe that we are fully part of the physical universe. I am a spiritual naturalist in that I still enjoy feeling the feelings I formerly believed came from the "Spirit" (transcendence, peace, awe, connectedness, elevation, inspiration, etc) which I now believe are psychologically caused. I study the rules and conditions that govern when those feelings will be present.

But, as opposed to listing all those terms as descriptors of me, I typically just say I am atheist. When someone probes deeper, I tell them that I am a spiritual naturalist.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM

874 posts, read 1,648,461 times
Christianity... most popular religion in the world with the most followers... about 2.1 billion. Probably more by now since that census was a few years ago. Some people get mad when I say that because I guess they don't like to be told they are a minority.

And for the poll... Catholics are Christians. And Atheim isn't a religion.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,440 times
A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Atheism has it's own set of beliefs on the subjects above. Therefore it is a religion.

Christianity and Catholicism are different in regards to many beliefs, such as the path to salvation. Their foundations are also quite different. Catholics believe in Original Sin and baptize at birth. Christians believe Sin is learned and baptism is a choice to be made by the individual when they are able to decipher right from wrong.

Catholic priests teach directly out of the bible and are based on strong traditions. Christians often interpret the bible themselves and teach about topics closely related to the bible.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Strange you didn't put Jewish on your poll.................

Old 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
If believing in Christ is what's necessary to get the reward, I suppose I can believe in Christ.

My wife wanted me to join her church, so I did, but I haven't set foot in one in years. She was a Baptist, and I disagree with a number of their principles.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Atheism is not a religion, but it is a form of belief in spirituality.
Atheism isn't a form of belief at all. It is not a religion, it is not a spiritual leaning.

Atheists do not believe in any gods.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Not all religions are centered around a belief in a deity. Atheism's guiding principle is that gods do not exist.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
I am Tsalagi Keetoowah Spirituality.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:30 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
I am a Christian. I'm active in a large Southern Baptist church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality